• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Cleaning boat cover

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, yeah I know this has been covered a bunch of times but it always seems to come up each year so I thought I'd give you my process with some pics. If you winterize your boat with shrink wrap or a tarp all you need to do is put your seasonal cover OVER your tarp or shrink wrap and tie it to the trailer. This works best with the after market covers that strap to the trailer. That will give you a smooth cover to wash with mild soap and a brush. The manufacturer of my cover suggests 1 part bleach to 4 parts water ONLY IF you have mildew. If you do use bleach and water you will have to reapply water proofing.

After the cover drys you can then water proof without worrying about the waterproofing solution getting in or on the boat as the tarp or shrink wrap will protect it. I usually turn the cover inside out to wash the inside first. When that drys I flip it over and do the outside so that when that drys I can then water proof it. This process is much easier and cleaner than trying to do it on the grass or on the driveway.
Bost Cover.jpg Boat cover 1.jpg

I don't use bleach on my boat anymore. Certain materials can be cleaned with a diluted solution of it and do ok. Most of the problems I had with other boats was the threads letting loose from the bleach. The upholstery guy I used back then said not to use bleach. After that I have used no bleach and not had a problem with interior or boat covers. Might add, my 2005 mooring cover just had to be replaced. Just my two cents.
Papa

Hi Papa,

I will confess - if there is one thing that defeats me about these boats, its keeping the 2#$@#$#@%@# cover clean (Glass must have an appropriate smiley or gif for this).

I curse Mel and all people with covered (and some even CLIMATE CONTROLLED) storage for their boat.

That said, mine is not. And it gets mildew. I keep a ship-shape boat. The seats get some mildew over the winter, even if put away dry with damp rid, etc...but I can clean that up with a couple of hours of elbow grease and Vinyl Sauce. However, the cover is a complete pain. I've tried almost every kind of mildew remover (except bleach) and I just am not getting traction. Mine is 5 years old now and I'm quite pleased with how well it has lasted, really - but I want to really dig into how better to handle this without having to scrub the damned thing every time I uncover the boat! ARGH!

Btw, its not hte color you have but the blue cover - not sure if that is going to make a difference with the bleach, which is why I've never used it. I actually like how the blue color looks (not that its critical) even though I have the 232 Limited in that camel color. The grey cover to me doesn't look quite as good - almost like everything is too neutral, but if I have to and can use bleach on it maybe I will.

Note: I live in Charleston, SC, and the only places more humid than here are Houston and Nawlins. Thanks for the post!!! I'm going to go outside and curse some more at my cover now......

Back