• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleaning out my impeller felt piece of rubber around the shaft near the motor-Problem or Paranoia

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Guys (no gender implied-for you PC folks)

I was at the Cayuga lake-Finger Lakes NY (weediest lake at the head of the lake I have ever seen) and had to clean out some weeds and discovered that I did not do a good job cutting out the rope I ingested 3 seasons ago. I felt some of the rope wrapped tightly around the shaft near the shaft motor bearing. As I was cutting I felt something rubbery and stopped cutting in fear it was a rubber seal. The rope is still there and has been for 3 years so my question is is that impeller shaft bearing near the motor or a bronze bering as shown below (impeller shaft bearing) or does it have a rubber seal before the bering?FullSizeRender.jpg .

Last edited:
It look like I may be in luck looking at the assembly drawing for the jet. There seems to be a easily replaced $5 (#26 and #28) part in front of the seals so I doubt that its rubber from a blown out seal. Now I have to decide if I should leave well enough alone (3 seasons with out a problem) or order the part an spend a couple of hours replacing the part.FullSizeRender-1.jpg

when I sucked up a rope it melted around the shaft, I think I would tell you to pull the entire unit since it's so easy to do, you should be able to easily get the rest of the rope out and it will be easier to see if there's any damage, I wouldn't replace anything unless I saw or experienced a problem,

Going from my recollection from years ago, but I believe #26 is a white plastic piece that does not even seal around the shaft. It just kept big things from making their way up to the bearing seal.

Great sage advise guys! This is always my first stop before making any repairs (no learned helplessness here) for good reason. Thanks for your help. Like I have said before "it's always a good idea to add to the pool of knowledge you just hope you don't just end up peeing into it!" Hopefully this post pertains to the former and not so much to the latter and will help someone searching for a solution to a similar problem.

Thanks for contributing!!!!

Back