• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleaning the carpets

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Took a wave over the bow this weekend and obviously the carpets were soaked. I left the boat uncovered that evening, it was beautiful out, and the next day they were still soaked, these carpets hold water like a sponge. I then removed the carpets, brought them home with the idea of a quick power wash and air-dry. While transporting I noticed they smelled horrible, the bay where I slip isn't the cleanest lol, and the carpets smell like dead fish, literally.

So I power washed them, no soap, let them dry in the sun and while they smell better, they still have an odor when you get up close. I am thinking if they get wet they will smell again, like a dog that gets wet, the smell will be released.

So, my question is, what should I use to clean out the smell? I've been debating the following

1. Dish Soap
2. vinegar and water mix
3. carpet shampoo

Any recommendations?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is why we upgrade to SeaDek and that would be my recommendation lol. Once you let the carpets get mildew that's pretty much it and they will smell. Washing helps but you have to let them air dry for a long time. When I had carpet I would let mine air dry hanging on the fence so that all water could run off and then leave them outside for 2 days. My carpet never developed mildew and never smelled but once it all it takes. Anytime they are wet you have to pull them or you will get mildew inside the carpet and mat. Ditch the carpet at the end of the season and get it in on @JetBoatPilot's group buy he does around September to save big $$$.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Got 4 seasons out of my carpet before it started smelling like ass. Installed seadek last weekend. Its only a matter of time before those carpets become toxic

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I lay mine out in the drive way and mix a 5 gallon bucket with Tide laundry and poor over carpet. From that I use a push broom to brush the carpet. Rinse and let dry by draping over something. Smells great every time.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I lay mine out in the drive way and mix a 5 gallon bucket with Tide laundry and poor over carpet. From that I use a push broom to brush the carpet. Rinse and let dry by draping over something. Smells great every time.
I was thinking of tide, might give that a shot since that sounds pretty easy. I was going to hand scrub after saturating, but I like the broom idea, less work. it is a pain if I have to do this every time they get wet, I sort of ignored them last year and that's probably why they smell this year...

As far as Seadek, I definitely see the benefit. I know it comes it different thicknesses, if I were to lay this down throughout the boat, I would want it more cushy than the swim platform. Does this September deal include varying thicknesses?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was thinking of tide, might give that a shot since that sounds pretty easy. I was going to hand scrub after saturating, but I like the broom idea, less work. it is a pain if I have to do this every time they get wet, I sort of ignored them last year and that's probably why they smell this year...

As far as Seadek, I definitely see the benefit. I know it comes it different thicknesses, if I were to lay this down throughout the boat, I would want it more cushy than the swim platform. Does this September deal include varying thicknesses?
He makes dual density pads for the 190 FSH helm so I'm sure he could make you whatever you wanted so long as he has the material for it.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2017 212X. The floor is covered with a gray foam pad material that looks like Seadeck I think. Is this what you guys mean when you’re talking about carpets? Thx

Jilly Ruby Jane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
You can use carpet cleaning products, I used Star brite ultimate carpet clean&protect, this product is an all-in-one carpet cleaner that effectively gets rid of dirt, grease, stains, and nasty odors and I am completely satisfied with it and it also adds a layer of polymer which protects carpets against stains, dirt and harmful UV rays. I highly recommend this product.

Last edited:

Jane305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Grady White
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You should use carpet cleaner, the most popular boat carpet cleaners are from Star Brite, Chemical Guys, and Boater’s Edge. These brands offer some of the most top-rated spot-on and concentrated carpet cleaners.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2017 212X. The floor is covered with a gray foam pad material that looks like Seadeck I think. Is this what you guys mean when you’re talking about carpets? Thx
No, there are some years and models that have snap in carpet. My 2020 212x has snap in marinemat, same kind of EVP that seadeck is made from.