• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra AK19 setting for Yamaha 190/195

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went out yesterday with them at 4-5 and spent time on very choppy open water (forecast was wrong!) as well as calm no-wake in a canal protected from the 15 mph wind gusting to my guess, 25 on the way back. Maneuvering at the dock coming and going, and on the canal was better than at 2-3 the previous time out on a relatively calm day. Reverse turns were still good.

In open water, in a stretch tracking about 70 degrees to that gusty wind from the right with chop and swells, the boat danced around a lot and it took constant effort to maintain directional control in a relatively narrow channel. The wake behind us was pretty wiggly. I was reminded of long ago when flight training on gusty days in Iowa, on climbout or final - feeling surprised on having to yank the yoke all the way to one side to keep the plane upright. Same here, turning the wheel most of the way a couple times, still maintaining 20 mph. Prop boats in the area were also getting tossed around. I think we did relatively well.

Conclusion - for now I'll leave 'em at 4-5. We don't often get caught in bad weather, and the boat did commendably well. In the usual calmer weather, the open water steering should be firm yet not overly so. BTW that horizontal plate in back delivers. Stabilizes the pitch of the boat, reducing bounce. On the maiden voyage of this one - no fins, we got caught in similar weather and the ride was far worse/boat scary difficult to control. That day I got the obligatory new boat ding too - bonked the dock hard, requiring a small repair. As then, yesterday a gust hit when only a few feet away from the dock. This time it was no problem. Experience was a factor too, of course.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just recently started storing my boat in our dock at our new lake place. I went too forward in the slip and the Viper was bent by the bunks when I raised the boat on the lift. Dumb on my part.

I contacted @Cobra Jet Steering LLC about repairing it. He was very generous with giving me the option of repairing the Viper under his warranty or giving me a great deal on the Super Ultimate AK Deluxe system. He was also helpful and made himself available even on Saturday evening when I was removing the Viper.

Just curious, why are you swapping out the Vipers?

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just recently started storing my boat in our dock at our new lake place. I went too forward in the slip and the Viper was bent by the bunks when I raised the boat on the lift. Dumb on my part.

I contacted @Cobra Jet Steering LLC about repairing it. He was very generous with giving me the option of repairing the Viper under his warranty or giving me a great deal on the Super Ultimate AK Deluxe system. He was also helpful and made himself available even on Saturday evening when I was removing the Viper.
Jeff is awesome with his "afterhours" support. When I had a question with my Viper install, he answered immediately late in the evening.

I was looking for a little better reverse response as it is still a little sluggish on the '18 nozzle; thought maybe that was why you were changing out. I may add the fangs if they might help. Overall, very pleased with the Vipers and Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed the Super Ultimate Deluxe AK on my ‘18 AR195 yesterday. Previously I had the Viper since I purchased the boat in Fall 2017. After I bent the Viper due to stupidity I removed them for about 2 weeks due to not having the time to take the boat off the ramp, to ramp, onto the trailer, and then install.

It was very weird driving w/ the stock setup. The back of the boat felt ‘slippery’ … leaving the ramp with the Super Ultimate Deluxe AK system I immediately noticed the difference backing off the trailer. I went with the recommended 5/6 position b/c my wife was beginning to hassle me on how much longer it was going to take (we were in the parking lot at the ramp where I did my install) so I had no time to eyeball other settings. I’ll just add another data point of experience and say I can’t imagine trying to dock/retrieve my boat w/o this steering system.

Attachments

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed the Super Ultimate Deluxe AK on my ‘18 AR195 yesterday. Previously I had the Viper since I purchased the boat in Fall 2017. After I bent the Viper due to stupidity I removed them for about 2 weeks due to not having the time to take the boat off the ramp, to ramp, onto the trailer, and then install.

It was very weird driving w/ the stock setup. The back of the boat felt ‘slippery’ … leaving the ramp with the Super Ultimate Deluxe AK system I immediately noticed the difference backing off the trailer. I went with the recommended 5/6 position b/c my wife was beginning to hassle me on how much longer it was going to take (we were in the parking lot at the ramp where I did my install) so I had no time to eyeball other settings. I’ll just add another data point of experience and say I can’t imagine trying to dock/retrieve my boat w/o this steering system.
Since you have a 2018 you do not have the new reverse bucket with the lateral thrust. Thus 5/6 definitely makes the most sense for you.

bigsapper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2021 SX190. new jet boat owner; new boat owner.

This thing *SUCKS* at low speed steering. We wet slip and I've gotten more opportunity than I care for, trying to operate it at low speed.
It's at the dealer right now getting the 10 hour service and Cobra jet Steering kit installed.

Hoping it helps as much as is being reported.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Report back when you try the oat out w/ your CJS system.
2021 SX190. new jet boat owner; new boat owner.

This thing *SUCKS* at low speed steering. We wet slip and I've gotten more opportunity than I care for, trying to operate it at low speed.
It's at the dealer right now getting the 10 hour service and Cobra jet Steering kit installed.

Hoping it helps as much as is being reported.