• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering Review - 1000% Improvement!!!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes....sorry I did mean you and not Bruce. I can't wait to hear your take on the upgrade!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the write up, and I think folks with the Seadoo models with Mercury SportJet will find it valuable. I too have a Seadoo X-20 with the 240hp Mercury SportJet and Jeff set me up with the CobraJet Steering mod.

Keep in mind, that rotax powered SeaDoo boats in general did not have as much issue with off power steering like the Yamahas did. So the demand for steering enhancement has not been as great. The few that did have what you experienced were the Mercury SportJet models in the 2000-2005 era. We are considered the Red-headed stepchildren of the SeaDoo world.

The reactions to the CobraJet steering have been mixed, for that have installed it. So it was a tough sell for Jeff as he explained to me in another forum. Honestly, I think the mod is worth every penny. If anything it showed that I was making an effort to help my wife who regularly loads our boat on the trailer and has to maneuver busy boat accesses.

It does truly transform the boat in my opinion. But to be clear, this is most noticeable in the Mercury powered models in that date range. I'm not even sure if Jeff makes a model for the Rotax jets as there is little to no demand. The next mod that you may want to consider for these same boats is the extended ride plate! I have only had one outing with my X-20 after installing the plate last fall, and it eliminated the dreaded porpousing that the 18-20ft Challenger class has. WOW!

chadweiser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1428701194811760073167.jpg Yes he makes them for the Rotax I have them on my 230 challenger se. I love them.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey @Daxxer ........ First I apologize for missing this thread when you started it. REALLY nice one. And happy the results are so worthwhile.
I 'jes wanted to throw out my $ 0.02 worth of HEY !!!!!!!!!! Welcome. :Welcome:
We are so glad you're here. Liked your photos. And being originally a Naples, FL boy growing up on the end of a canal right on the bay of Naples, your photo on the lift kinda intrigued me. Hope you'll share more with us.
Best Wishes and so glad you're here !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
And oh yeah ........ Even if this is "late" .......

Welcome aboard 77 - Daxxer - sm.jpg

seafoxfla

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome, just spoke to Jeff and mine will be in the mail tomorrow for my AR 240. Can't wait to install them and check them out. I'll post my finding in a few weeks. I'm also a Harley owner, 14 Limited and 15 Road Glide and a member of your forum.

Daxxer

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Islandia
Boat Length
Welcome, just spoke to Jeff and mine will be in the mail tomorrow for my AR 240. Can't wait to install them and check them out. I'll post my finding in a few weeks. I'm also a Harley owner, 14 Limited and 15 Road Glide and a member of your forum.
Heya seafoxla!! Looking forward to hearing your review ... and nice boat btw!

seafoxfla

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We finally got to take her out this past Saturday. WOW!!! What a difference they make. I don't have to fight the steering any more at slow speeds and docking is now a breeze. I had to always fight the steering when ever I crossed Tavernier creek Creek due to the strong current and winds not any more. this is one of the best additions I have ever put on any boat. Well worth the $$. I highly recommend them and no I don't work for Jeff. Installation was quick and easy and no adjustment needed.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think we have to remind ourselves that this is the SeaDoo Forum. Results of the CobraJet steering varies greatly from Yamaha to SeaDoo owners and even greater amongst the SeaDoo models.

I have yet to hear of a Yamaha owner that did not benefit from the Cobra Fins or thrust vectors. On the SeaDoo side, the Mercury SeaDoo owners have had mixed results. One just reported on the SeaDoo forum that he thought it was the biggest waste of money on his Challenger 1800. I like them on our 20ft Merc powered SeaDoo, but it was not life changing in my opinion. I have not heard much feedback from the Rotax powered SeaDoo owners as most have little issue with steering.

So Daxxer, you have an Islandia with a Merc Sportjet. Not only a Merc in Seadoo, but a single engine over a dual like SeFoxfla's AR240. That's quite the opposite end of the spectrum. Not to downplay his review, you may want to talk to other Merc Powered Islandia owners.

I do believe that money better spent on a Merc Powered SeaDoo is the extended ride plate! Holy crap was that the best money spent. Ours drops the bow with no bouncing anymore.

Good luck guys!