• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

cobra locks or tru lock?

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Other than price, is there one you would choose over the other and why?

I have the ez-locks and can simply verify that they work and I've been happy with them. I know that will @JetBoatPilot make quality products too. But I don't have any first hand experience with his true locks. They weren't an option when I bought our boat.

There are also some other locks that people have made themselves. It looks pretty easy to make lock yourself from stuff you can get from Lowes or Home Depot.

Yeah, you can make them, but they won't be EZer. And I don't think you can make them without some trial and error. So the $30 or so for EZ Locks is about as cheap as you can get and get full instructions with video assistance. But if you want to experiment with a $350 plug (each), press on! I am building my own subwoofer enclosure. I will save nothing in the end. And it will take days to construct, seal, carpet, and install. So just choose your self builds carefully, you won't save much in this one, and may cost yourself $700!!!

In general I'd steer people toward JetBoatPilot but in this case I recommend the EZ-Locks. The solution is simple, straightforward, durable, and it works. There are years of success with the EZ-Locks. They are cheap enough for that to be a non-issue.

The Tru-Locks might be easier to use but I still would go with the volume proven solution.

You know what i have...:D

One benefit about the EZ Locks that hasn't been mentioned. You can visually verify they are locked.

EZ Locks! I have experienced a blown plug and since installing locks no issues. Inexpensive and easy to use. Can't vouch for true locks. Have no experience.

I chose the EZ Locks. No regrets. Simple = good. They just work.

I have Tru locks and after learning how to use them have had no issues. I like them because they don't add anything external to the plug. I have no experience with the ez locks so I can't compare them. One thing that helped me decide is that I got mine free when I ordered some thrust vectors (through a special Will at @JetBoatPilot was running)

Yeah, you can make them, but they won't be EZer. And I don't think you can make them without some trial and error. So the $30 or so for EZ Locks is about as cheap as you can get and get full instructions with video assistance. But if you want to experiment with a $350 plug (each), press on! I am building my own subwoofer enclosure. I will save nothing in the end. And it will take days to construct, seal, carpet, and install. So just choose your self builds carefully, you won't save much in this one, and may cost yourself $700!!!

They all do the same thing. You drill a hole through the plug and put in some type of restrictor. You take the chance with EZ and Tru locks also because you have to physically alter the plug with a small drill hole. You could build your own example of either lock with a simple coat hanger. I don't think there is much risk here in creating your own simple pin. But that just me.

True locks don't require any drilling. They simply replace parts inside the plug and alter the functionality of how the push button and handle works.

Go watch the installation videos to understand how both products work then pick the one that makes the most sense to you.

They all do the same thing. You drill a hole through the plug and put in some type of restrictor. You take the chance with EZ and Tru locks also because you have to physically alter the plug with a small drill hole. You could build your own example of either lock with a simple coat hanger. I don't think there is much risk here in creating your own simple pin. But that just me.
No intention to create a debate or be combative here. A coat hanger won't be anything like a stainless spring steel clip. Tight tolerances are a MUST on this, as is exact hole placement. And take it from those that have used ez locks for a long time and done it incorrectly in the beginning, or from those that went with the IR pin fix..:they aren't all the same and some are much EZer than others. You won't get the spring effect with a coat hanger, nor will it last long before rust is everywhere. So if your going to build them, use stainless, use a clip, and make them so you can pre-install this before inserting the plug 15" down a tight tube. Because inserting them after it is locked is a PIA! But your right, it isn't rocket science...but it is a great value for what you pay for it.

My apologizes on my description of Tru Locks, I was incorrect about drilling.

thanks for the input everyone! very helpful!

For Barbie and me ........ It's just a matter of kinda like how you vote in December ! Really !

And for us, we vote with Will and @JetBoatPilot and Will's Classic Quality engineering !

Tru-Lock 2s, Babeeee !

Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Out here in a dry(er) and low-humidity Lake Oconee, GA

Back