• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering review 242 LSE

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wanted to write my feedback on the cobra jet steering system on my 2019 242 LSE. I got the boat last year and used it a few times. So my first impressions was it drives similar to my AR192 with thrust vectors which I had for 5 years. I could drive that boat anywhere, crazy good steering once you learn to overcome its drawbacks. I could put it anywhere, dock it anywhere, but at no wake speeds it needed constant steering input same like people driving cars in the old movies (constant left/right steering input) and if the wind or current caught you, and/or you were lazy on steering for a second, it would spin around and I would need to put into reverse and thrust the other way to avoid the spin. I got the 242 LSE and it had the similar no wake speed steering as the AR192, but man, this boat would turn so fast that once the bow pointed into the left side of the channel towards oncoming jet skiiers and they looked at me like "wtf??" it was actually embarassing. Reverse steering is really good and I had no complaint about high speed steering with the little helm time that I had. But that constant input at no wake speeds was really annoying.

So I decided to give cobra jet system a try. I got the deluxe or whatever its called (I'm still confused by the product naming) and installed it last fall. I just came back stateside and put it in the water a few weeks ago. It transformed the slow speed steering. Now it steers like any other boat with almost ZERO input at the steering. You can actually let go of the steering and it will steer 100% straight no bow wander. My dad hated my AR192's slow speed steering and he has 20+ years with inboard and outboards. He didn't want to drive that boat. So the ultimate test: He drove my 242 LSE and he had no complaints about the steering. It drove intuitively like any other boat. And that's confidence inspiring for me when he's picking me up wakeboarding lol.. He actually really liked the 242. Thanks @Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Last edited: