• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Marine Radio Interference

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So several years ago bought the handheld Cobra VHF Portable Marine Radio MR HH475. Was a great radio. No issues but time to upgrade. Bought the attached Cobra MRHH500. Works great, except when we're on the boat. 🤷‍♂️. It seems to pick up some kind of interference. You have to turn the volume all the way up and it's kinda static sounding.

Thought I bought a bad radio so I returned it and the replacement does the same thing. Anyone else experience interference with their boats and radios???Radios??? I have a 2017 242X.

Screenshot_20220713-202327_Amazon Shopping.jpg

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Have you tried increasing the squelch? I've noticed that having ignition on on our boat generates very slight rfi in the fm radio, frequencies which are not very far from the marine band.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting @marcham . Although this is automatic squelch. The knob in the middle is just a cover for the external speaker plug.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Even though it's automatic, it should still be adjustable in the menus. Are you hearing hum in the speaker without static noise or is the squelch breaking when you turn on the engine?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Gotcha. I'll check. But no what I'm hearing is it sounds like the speaker is blown when people talk. No noises when no one is talking. I have to turn it all the way up to hearing anything and it sounds like I have the volume at 25% when it's actually 100% very distorted. But at home, sounds perfect like it should.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We'll be on the boat this weekend. I may walk away from the boat with the radio and see if it goes away.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Receive audio is only distorted when the engine runs? If so, I'd suggest a defective radio.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@marcham definitely happens when on the boat. Not 100% sure if Engines have to be on or not. Haven't been able to trouble shoot that far yet. Will check next time out. But definitely works fine away from the boat. Matter of fact I have it on in my house and it sounds fine. 🤷‍♂️