• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coffee Snobs ?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Y'all gonna hate me but I don't have time in the morning to do all of that so I use K-cups in the Keurig. I fire it up a few mins before heading out the door and it's enough to get me to work lol.
Gross! I only drink that if i have no other option.

I use Starbucks or peets French roast. Fresh conical grind, then the most beans that fit in my drip maker. Mine has a 5 hole water distributor .Add only 5 cups of water. Makes about 20oz black coffee.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One thing he recommended and I tried is to put a small amount of salt in the coffee to counteract some of the bitterness. I drink my coffee black and sometimes it's a bit too bitter for me. This worked out great. Something to do with tricking the taste buds to not taste bitter.
This can definitely help, I do it about half the time - basically if I remember to grab a pinch of kosher salt before walking over to the coffee machine.

.I work from home so I don’t have an excuse other than laziness.
That's funny, working from home is what finally got me to go back to a coffee maker with a Carafe. Brew a pot, drink a pot. LOL

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Second only to Berkley in coffee shops per Capita.... ya I would have to agree we are bit snobby about coffee

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was watching an old episode of Good Eats over the holidays and he talked about coffee. Alton Brown is very much a coffee snob.

One thing he recommended and I tried is to put a small amount of salt in the coffee to counteract some of the bitterness. I drink my coffee black and sometimes it's a bit too bitter for me. This worked out great. Something to do with tricking the taste buds to not taste bitter.

What I need is a good grinder. I have an old electric mill and I know that is not the best.
bitter = grind is too fine
sour = grind is too course
I would check your grind and grinder for sure
I do the same thing sometimes when I drink coffee black and sometimes have a not so good bag of beans. Another option with a pinch of salt is sprinkle some cinnamon on top of the grinds before you add the water. It's a nice flavor with the salt and cinnamon mixed together

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
bitter = grind is too fine
sour = grind is too course
I would check your grind and grinder for sure
I do the same thing sometimes when I drink coffee black and sometimes have a not so good bag of beans. Another option with a pinch of salt is sprinkle some cinnamon on top of the grinds before you add the water. It's a nice flavor with the salt and cinnamon mixed together
One note to this bitter or sour thumb rule when it comes to the grind, I forgot to mention you need to make sure you are using the right amount of water. I use a scale so I use a ratio of grams. I pour 17 grams of water per 1 gram of coffee. Generally if you look at coffee websites on water to grounds ratios, you will see a 17 to 1 ratio as the most common.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Holy Chemistry Sets Batman! You guys are pretty fancy!

I've got a can of Folgers Black Silk in the cubby in my office. There's a 5 cup no-name-brand coffee maker sitting on the other side of my computer that I fire up every morning when I get in. (I DO use the bottled water that my employer provides - does that count for snobbery? )

There are a couple of folks here in the office that go through all of that grinding, pressing, and measuring for a cup - and I admit that it IS excellent coffee, but I come from a different era.

In my world, "coffee culture" is a bunch of old guys in flannel (not the modern "metro" flannel, but the old-school "covered in whatever was on the garage floor the last time I changed the oil" flannel) sitting in a service-station waiting room loudly discussing local current events. They are speaking loudly partially because they are going deaf but mostly because they want the whole place to hear their opinion - which is final on the matter so don't argue (you'll be met with the wave of a hand and a "BAH!" no matter how good your counter-point is). The the smell of coffee in the room is mixed with the smell of tires, gearcase oil, and flatulence.

If you appear to be under the age of 55, the only way you can even CONSIDER taking part in this conversation is to have a cup of the black mud that is being dispensed from the giant percolator balanced on top of a rusty filing cabinet. A small amount of sugar (half a pack at most) is acceptable, but you will lose instant street-cred with this crowd if they notice that your coffee has been discolored by creamer.

If you walk up to them with a can of Coke in your hand, just keep walking. That's a kid's drink. Grown-ups drink coffee.

My "coffee culture" is also sitting in your Mom's kitchen looking out the window at the 12" of snow that fell last night sipping a cup of whatever coffee is placed in front of you. It's a Saturday and you're trying to work up the gumption to get out there and shovel for the next 90 minutes. The fact that Mom "cuts" her regular coffee with decaf isn't helping. You know you'll have to drink more to wake up. This means that - just like when you were little - you're gonna have to pee as soon as you get bundled up to go outside. Mom is prattling on about current events in her circle of 80-somethings whose names you've heard but can't place with a face.

While this situation seems "safer" you'd be wrong. Refuse that cup of coffee and you'll miss out on a whole plate full of home-made treats. So what if you just had breakfast? These are Mom's cookies we're talking about here. Take that dang cup and be happy!

Of course, my "coffee culture" is also driving in to the plant at 2:30 in the morning to fix a problem. As I'm trying to clear the cobwebs one of the electricians shoves a cup of coffee-machine swill in my hand and says "I think you're gonna need this." He couldn't be more right.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@biglar155 I know this culture, as I was once part of it. My culture was worse. The coffee was made all through the night and into the wee hours of the morning by some FNG straight out of boot camp that never drank coffee. The grounds were poured from some non descript can with no writing and the water was straight from the demineralizer that still had a hint of jet fuel and sea water. The crowd drinking such swill congregate around the 2nd level work bench of #2 engine room right by Bravo turbine generator. There was no sugar and creamer was not even in the vocabulary. If one asked for such accoutrements this person would be quickly duct taped to the ventilation duct with HP Red duct tape. The salty Chief Petty Officer on watch was drinking from a mug that had never been washed and was so stained by this swill that it could never become white again. 2 pics attached of said work bench and one of a green ensign that asked us for cream and sugar. We duct taped him to the scoop injection pipe the main engine.

Having said that, if you settle for such swill knowing there is something better out there......why would you? Why let peer pressure of the salty no nothings ruin something so much better? Don't let those blinded by their own ignorance ruin your ability to taste and try all things this Earth gives you! And, like my grandpa always said, if your going to do something, why not give it your best effort?

I'm sure your coffee culture likes the steak they serve at Golden Corral or Western Sizzling, but I bet you forgo that slab of hide for something better like Outback, or Texas Roadhouse, etc. Coffee is no different. I go to bed at night, and sometimes I absolutley can't wait to wake up and drink a cup of my coffee the next morning.

Now with that being said....I love the fellowship you can have with that coffee culture you described!!
IMG_3368.jpeg IMG_3369.jpeg

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Black Rifle Coffee Club
Beyond Black or Murdered Out
Usually alternate between the two, but if I could only have one or the other, probably Beyond Black.

Generally 3 bags a month whole bean
Grind enough beans for a carafe each morning in the little cuisinart grinder and into the bonavita brewer it goes.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've discovered Stumptown. My two favorites are Hollar Mountain and Hair Bender. I found a local dinner here in town that stocks it and sells it for the same price as they sell on the internet. Freakin awesome!

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just notice this thread. Not sure when I started drinking coffee probably when I joined the military Since then I have evolved also into a coffee snob. I have a roaster that personally roast my coffee every two weeks for my espresso machine at home which is a Alex Duettto. I also keep on hand Bialetti and an aero press when for camping and when I want regular coffee at home. I have a grinder for the espresso machine which I am always fine tuning as I search for that elusive perfect cup at home and a hand grinder, the Orphan Expresso Lido, for when we are camping. I also keep a nepresso coffee machine on the counter for those who do not appreciate the fine taste of truly fresh coffee, as I think it make the best cup of coffee of all of the other instant machines. [flag]