• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Cold Weather Climate - Oil change in the Fall or Spring?

Mdoiron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in Canada and obviously, weather gets very cold over the winter months. My boating season is likely done and I'm looking to prepare it for storage. My storage unit is not heated.

Question - should the oil be changed in the Fall before being put away or in the Spring? Here are the arguments I was told for each.

The oil in the motor now has been used and built acidity. I don't want it stored in my motor all winter. Better to change it now and have it sit in fresh oil all winter.

Changing the oil will allow humidity to form and because I'm not going to run it all winter, it could start forming rust on some compartments. My oil was good enough for the last run (boat has about 30 hours this season).

I've always changed my oil at the end of each season to be ready to go next.

Either one is good. People argue this all the time. Just make sure to get oil change done once a year, unless you put huge amounts of hours on the motors.

I’ve always been under the impression it should be changed in the fall, and have always done that with my boats.

Agree with @dan144k I'm in Canada (Ottawa). Although there are theories, I haven't found actual science on this. Even if there was, the differences are so minor. I have never heard of anybody, EVER, have an issue because they changed their oil at the end or beginning of a season. In fact, I'm willing to bet that marinas that take care of winterizing don't get to oil changes often until the spring since they have so many boats to prepare for winter.

Done your season? You'd better be far up north! I boat until Thanksgiving weekend! I'll forgive you if you're in northern Alberta or something of the sort. lol

Agree with @dan144k I'm in Canada (Ottawa). Although there are theories, I haven't found actual science on this. Even if there was, the differences are so minor. I have never heard of anybody, EVER, have an issue because they changed their oil at the end or beginning of a season. In fact, I'm willing to bet that marinas that take care of winterizing don't get to oil changes often until the spring since they have so many boats to prepare for winter.

Done your season? You'd better be far up north! I boat until Thanksgiving weekend! I'll forgive you if you're in northern Alberta or something of the sort. lol
Thanks! I'm on the East Coast (Moncton) and boat on open waters. The winds change in September and usually turn Northerly which makes it less enjoyable. In fact, we're getting the remnants of Ida today which almost certainly will change the conditions. Rivers are still ok but the ones close by are too small to really enjoy. Kids go back to school and sports start. Chances are, the boat will not be used again but you never know.

Thanks! I'm on the East Coast (Moncton) and boat on open waters. The winds change in September and usually turn Northerly which makes it less enjoyable. In fact, we're getting the remnants of Ida today which almost certainly will change the conditions. Rivers are still ok but the ones close by are too small to really enjoy. Kids go back to school and sports start. Chances are, the boat will not be used again but you never know.

Understood. Ocean side of things would start to get unpleasant for sure. As a Canadian boater, you are forgiven. ;)

Back