• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Communication Devices

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What does everyone use as communication devices on the water? Ideally, everyone would use their cell phone. But the few times I go to (what I consider) the bigger lakes (Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Norris), my service is unreliable. We often have the majority of people back at home base (sometimes a houseboat, but the past two years it's been a lake house) and when I take my joy rides on my boat, ol' wife sometimes can't reach me on my cell phone. This causes arguments because apparently I'll be gone too long or we need toilet paper or whatever. This year we have a child coming along. The couple bringing the child plan on hanging out with us during the day, but they rented their own cottage upstream a bit because sometimes we can stay up a little too late partying. We want to be able to communicate with them, though, and also be able to communicate with our boats when they are out. We want to have these radios so we can call each other in case someone needs a ride or wants to join on one of the boats. So what type of radios should we get? I read something about VHF radios being for use on water only, no shore-to-boat communication. And there are so many different channels, but you can only use like 5 of them? How regulated are these rules on a lake like Cumberland or Norris?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Lake Cumberland we use the VHF a LOT. Every marina out there has it's own channel and you can talk to someone for various things. In fact, state dock and Jamestown it's awesome to request a ride up to your truck, or a shuttle, or water shuttle from Jamestown to State dock (right across from each other for those that don't know) etc. We always call from the boat miles out but I guess it is expected out there. I would also say that Cumberland of all lakes I have been to has the worst cell service. Certain emergency channels are obviously not to be used. So, I may be speaking only for Cumberland, but I believe communicating ship to shore is completely legal and expected out there. I know all the shuttle vans for a few marinas have vhf radios in them and it is expected that if you are on your boat or in your cottage that you use vhf to call for them as there is no phones or cell service.
I also think that shore to boat would be fine because well... the boat is on the water!
I think the restriction is mainly for things like land based communication. Don't send your wife into the grocery store and talk to her from the truck all on marine vhf. That would be illegal.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would use marine vhf first try on low wat setting. Wife at home needs to pretend she's a ⛵ boat have some kind of code like fish aren't bitting over here means time to come in. I know this is probably illegal but I don't drive 55 either.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So for lakes like Cumberland, do you guys just pick an open channel and go with it? Obviously the emergency channels and marina channels are off limits. I know there's a guide and rules regarding which channels can and can't be used because they are reserved for various things. But if those "various things" don't operate on or near lake Cumberland, can you use those channels?

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use 69 it's for public use and for some reason everyone can remember that number

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So if all the public channels are used, can you use a different channel? One that may be reserved, but reserved for someone/something that would never be on Lake Cumberland? I'd imagine you'd perform a radio check of some sort to ensure the channel is clear and free for use.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would just stick to public chanels especially if your skerting what is legal. If any official hears talking on a reserved channel they are going to listen closely and may think it's worth tracking you down. IMHO

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never used VHF before. From what I gather, there are like 5 public channels available for use. Seems like a good possibility that all five of those channels would get used up pretty quickly. Am I wrong?

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The busiest place I've boated is gulf of Mexico off Panama City Beach you won't be the only one talking but it's not like you can't get through just have a unique name and have them repeat it 3 times like you do for a mayday if it's busy. No buiser than channel 19 on a c.b. lol which does bring up another option cetizen band CB you would have 40 chanels but most aren't made for water but maybe cheaper not sure haven't bought one in years

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Cumberland a short list I came across:
????? (London Dock): (606) 864-5225 No Radio
Omega (Buck Creek): (606) 382-5542
Burnside: (606) 561-4223 Channel 78
Lees Ford: (606) 636-6426 Channel 16
Conley: (606) 348-6351 Channel 68
Beaver: (606) 348-7280 Channel 78
Cave Springs (Gator #1): (270) 866-3634 Channel 09
Gator #2: (270) 866-6616 Channel 06
Jamestown (270) 343-5253 Channel 14
State Dock: (800) 234-3625 Channel 24
Grider Hill: (606) 387-5501 Channel 68
And remember, the lake is over 100 miles long in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains so you can't be at the dam and expect to reach burnside or Conley Bottom!
I use 69 or 70 depending on who I am boating with, lol.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
good info. Thanks. So I've been doing a little researching. It looks like those two way radios we used to use at the campground operate on the FRS band. I'm trying to find a handheld VHF radio for the boat. Just another investment. But I want one that has the FRS band as well. We still have some of those two way radios, so I could dust them off for the trip and still have a cool new boat investment. I'm having trouble finding a VHF/FRS handheld, though. Probably doesn't exist...

Patrick L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It appears the rules for vhf have recently been amended. (Sept. 2016) Here is an excerpt from page 2.

permit limited use of portable marine VHF radio transmitters by persons on shore in areas adjacent to the water for communications relating to the operational and business needs of the associated vessel to provide flexibility in the use of marine radio equipment in a manner that furthers maritime safety;
Full doc:
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-16-119A1.pdf

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I know that. Well, I read that and didn't really think anything of it. I found a handheld VHF that also has the FRS band (like those little two-way walkie talkies use). So I can use the VHF band in case of an emergency or on lakes that have marinas that communicate over it. And I can fire up my old FRS two-ways to communicate to home base in case someone needs ice or something while I am out. Sounds like a perfect solution!

Realistically, other than cell phone or satellite phone, what do you guys recommend for communication on lakes? A lake like Norris or Cumberland where we might have a home base (house or houseboat), but we also have boats or jet skis out and about. Sometimes a few yards away, sometimes a few miles away. CB, FRS, VHF, am I missing anything else (affordable)?

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My wife and I use these devices all year long, boating, snowmobiling, mountain biking, kids sports games camping, etc. https://www.beartooth.com/. Very easy and amazing. Geo location, 2-way, text and topographical map with location, all while OFF THE GRID.

upload_2017-5-5_7-48-42.png

upload_2017-5-5_7-49-10.png