• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Compressed video of my last boating trip

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got to take the boat out again last weekend with some friends. I've done so several times over the past two years but won't likely do it again. This time the tide may have been low but I backed my trailer tires off of the end of the ramp. I could tell by how quickly it dropped. Once I walked up on the dock I could see the line indicating the end of the ramp/drop off. Luckily I was able to launch and recover without incident but both required me to go off the end of the ramp.

We launched out of Benicia Marina, into Suisun for lunch and then back. Along the way we drove under the Benicia Bridge, Carcinez (sp?) Bridge, by the Moth Ball Fleet (what's left of it anyway) and even past U.C. Berkeley's research vessel. As luck would have it, it was sunny on the day before and the day afterwards but cloudy on the day I went out. No quad copter footage this time around, I charged and brought it but just wasn't feeling it. In a way it was a good thing since I got another flat (which makes two in the past two months, I also determined and eliminated the root cause), that cost me an hour at the ramp after recovering the boat and $125 at America's Tire the next day. I'll try and add some subtitles and still shots to this video later but for now this is what I've got.

By the way I used GoPro's freeware to edit the video. It is all sped up from the initial setting of 100 to either 800 (8x) or 4000 (40x). I downloaded the music via youtube's video manager so it was at no cost and I should not get any copyright infringement warning messages as a result. The video is just under 5 minutes long, actual recording time was about 2 hours.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
OK. thats it !! I've had enough of this......I've been staring at GOPROs every morning when I get to work....Ronnie...you just convinced me to SUBMIT ...(order) !!....and its due to the soundtrack !!

as for the video(s)....How much memory is consumed on the real time recording of a 5 min sped up video ?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
justason, it took me a while to get into using my gopro, if I were to buy another one it would probably be the black edition instead of the white edition. The silver is a good comprise between the two. As for video consumption I'm not sure but a 16 GB card can take hold over 2.5 hours of vide and a 32 GB card can hold over 5 hours. Note each battery is good for around two hours of active (no standby) use.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@justason congrats! Which one did you go with and where did you get it from? I'm storing up the will to pull the trigger one as well. (Damn April taxes!)

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice video! It looked like pretty smooth waters for most of the trip. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
It was 70 degrees here yesterday and calling for snow today with a low of 12 tonight! I can't wait for warm weather to get here and stay.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Consider buying from a place that offers and extended warranty and get that to. I got mine from bestbuy with a 1 year replacement plan for under $300 including tax. As such I don't worry about it as much, if I break it or scratch the lens I will just exchange it for a new one. I've done this several times already with no hassles.

I know too well about taxes. Nothing like seeing my annual bonus go from gross to net. Thanks Uncle Sam for taking half my money in exchange for ....

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
gopro hero3+ silver. Like Ronnie said its a good blend. I wasn't interested in the white, and saving a few bucks by not going with the black....

my coworker bought the contour and was working me hard to go that route....but the interface wasnt as clean. (bluetooth)

i was searching on pricegrabber.com, lowest I've seen it there was $283. In the end I always use Amazon..easy, price competitive...and piece of mind return capabilities.

$299, free shipping......

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Consider buying from a place that offers and extended warranty and get that to. I got mine from bestbuy with a 1 year replacement plan for under $300 including tax. As such I don't worry about it as much, if I break it or scratch the lens I will just exchange it for a new one. I've done this several times already with no hassles.

I know too well about taxes. Nothing like seeing my annual bonus go from gross to net. Thanks Uncle Sam for taking half my money in exchange for ....

Thanks Ronnie. I'm leaning towards the Silver at my local BJ's for $229. Seems to be the best deal around for the silver 3+. Their return policy is 30 days but I can always return it for store credit. I dont plan on sticking it on my RC heli, and I dont own a drone so it will stay on the ground for the most part. :)

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
gopro hero3+ silver. Like Ronnie said its a good blend. I wasn't interested in the white, and saving a few bucks by not going with the black....

my coworker bought the contour and was working me hard to go that route....but the interface wasnt as clean. (bluetooth)

i was searching on pricegrabber.com, lowest I've seen it there was $283. In the end I always use Amazon..easy, price competitive...and piece of mind return capabilities.

$299, free shipping......
Ahh crap! Do you have a BJ's around you? haha

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ahh crap! Do you have a BJ's around you? haha
????

best buy shows it at $299 (not a best buy fan personally).....and BJs web page has nothing for it........where you going with this>?

Last edited:

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I see... BJ's is warehouse club like Costco or Sams. (Membership type store) They only have them in store, you cant get it on their website. I was asking if you had a store around you, and if you were interested in joining you could get the camera cheaper.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks Rob. I put my amazon order on Hold . BJ's is near me and we are a member, I'll go after work tonight...

Also FWIW.... http://dx.com/s/gopro deal extreme has a lot of accessories cheap....Ronnie. Sorry to hijack your thread....Love the videos

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No issues justason, there is only so much to say about a compressed boat ride to lunch.

Incidentally I love my gopro but when the my first one (gen 2 I think) failed I could get no support from gopro so the warranty is great but may not be in effect when you need it. This is why I advocate buying the replacement plan. Still $230 for the silver edition is a great price that I'm not expecting to see at best buy, ever or at least not until the gen 4s are released. Another nice thing about bestbuys policy is that they will allow me to trade up if I pay the difference in price. A downside of the policy is that it is limited in the number of times an exchange is available. On the two year plan it was three times, I'm not sure what it is for my current 1 year plan.