• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Compression issues

Albrecht

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at a 2012 ar240, 155 hours, had it checked by the local Yamaha dealer last week. Wear rings bad, needs an impeller, had a heat warning about 20 hours ago on the computer but the biggest question I have is the compression. On both motors it varied between 120-160 on all cylinders. Dealer recommended a full service to include new plugs and running some ring free and re checking compression. Cost $2040. Said he thought that would bring compression up and in a more normal range. Thoughts on this? Am I looking at motor work in the near future? Should I walk and keep looking?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi! I have the same boat.

If the wear rings are bad, I would guess it has been in salt water. I boat in fresh only, so can't really say whether that is at the right time or not for that issue. I do know that the salt water corrosion will swell the ring and cause it to contact the impeller, causing issues. That said, a pretty easy fix.

Impellers: Mine were dinged up pretty bad about 1.5 years ago. I pulled them, filed them down, put them back in. It made a world of difference. Don't know if that would work for the one you are looking at or if it is worse. Impossible to tell without pics, but just a thought for you.

Compression: Normal compression, I'm told (on this site) is about 135 per cylinder. So it sounds like all of yours are in range, but that is a pretty big swing to me. Doesn't sound like a problem...

Full service: Full service on mine at the dealer was $450. Plugs, grease the intermediate bearing, and change the oil (2 engines). I thought that was a ridiculous amount for that. I never went back; I invested $40 in an oil sucker and have done everything myself since then. That means they are charging you like $1500 to run ring free in your engine. That sounds insanely expensive.

Upshot from my perspective: I would be interested what others would say, but I don't see any red flags here as to the boat. A red flag as to the dealer.... But, yes, you may have an indication of early, early issues on the engine--but probably not. I haven't done the compression on mine but I would not be surprised if mine were similar. And mine runs fine....

My 2 pennies. Got pics of the candidate?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oddly, just ran across the compression reference pressures in the Repair Manual. 110.9 psi.