• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connecting VHF radio to GPS via NMEA?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am helping @Amar Nanduri install a Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF radio with its own internal GPS and a Garmin EchoMap74dv. Apparently you can connect the two devices via the NMEA connections. Could anyone tell me the benefits of doing this? He is planning on taking the boat to Bimini this year with the group and I am trying to help make sure his boat is ready for the trip. If anyone has any insight on this it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would not connect it to NMEA.

There are two options where you could benefit from connecting to NMEA.

1. If you have a a plotter that would display AIS info (ship positions) from the VHF.
2. If another GPS source was significantly more accurate than the internal GPS.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK and the fact that these boats are small and so maneuverable there really is no benefit to the AIS info? I also read something about DSC, but I am new to all this, being that I only boat on small lakes and the Potomac River. I have no idea what DSC is. I know how to run a power and a ground and the antenna wire to the VHF, but outside of that I don't know the capabilities...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
DSC is for automated distress calls. You press the red button and it automatically transmits a SOS call including your coordinates. It is a great system that many of us have. An extension of DSC allows reporting your postion to friends in non emergent situations.

AIS is used by ships. I believe it transmits GPS position, heading and speed. It is used by the big boys to plan courses that avoid collision. He will very lilkely be the only boat in our group with AIS capability.

If he purchased a suitably expensive chart plotter the AIS data could be sent to it to display all the AIS enabled vessels within range.

You are doing great to simply connect power and be antenna. The only additional item that he should do is to register for a MMSI number for the DSC functionality and enter it into the radio.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Some excellent work done by @PaulyB
I can't find the words to thank him enough. Hopefully I will be familiar with the systems and ready by July.

Cheers
Amar20170227_130910.jpg 20170227_130855.jpg 20170227_130525.jpg 20170227_131336.jpg 20170227_131110.jpg 20170227_131009.jpg 20170227_130931.jpg