• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connext ballast hiccup?

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Had something strange happen yesterday - the wife was pulling me surfing so all ballast was full. Connext all the sudden mid-ride blinked out and started draining the ballast. We stopped the run and I attempted to drain the rest of the ballast but the screen was inactive. I powered down the boat and switched off both batteries, when Connext rebooted I was able to drain the ballast...but as it finished Connext glitched again and shows all tanks at 77% full. I visually inspected the tanks and bags - they are empty. So now my question is how do I reset Connext to show all ballast 0% full. It seems to be stuck at 77%.
Thanks in advance!

Probably have to go in and re calibrate the bags in the system settings menu.

I'll have to search the forum to remember how that is done. Need to increase the timer anyway.

Since the first time I filled my ballast tanks, I have had a big issue getting them to drain. They will be draining and then it will throw a "Seacock obstruction" error message and stop pumping. Then the rear tanks will show something like 173% full and from there it is a NIGHTMARE getting them to drain. Something to the affect of shutting down the boat and connext system and starting them back up like 6 times to get them all the way drained. I really hope Yamaha has a fix for this because it has pretty much made my tanks unusable!!!

Since the first time I filled my ballast tanks, I have had a big issue getting them to drain. They will be draining and then it will throw a "Seacock obstruction" error message and stop pumping. Then the rear tanks will show something like 173% full and from there it is a NIGHTMARE getting them to drain. Something to the affect of shutting down the boat and connext system and starting them back up like 6 times to get them all the way drained. I really hope Yamaha has a fix for this because it has pretty much made my tanks unusable!!!
That is more or less what mine does too. It works about half the time, the other half I get the "Seacock obstruction" and they jump to 53%. I think I am going to pursue bypassing Connext. Just go from the relay to 3 WakeMaker timers - to pumps. A single DPDT rocker switch should be able to trigger all three pumps for fill and drain. It's $250 I don't want to spend on a $60k boat...but reliability means more to me.
Let me know if you get anywhere with your service department though?

Try one thing for me the next time you go out. Double check your ski locker ballast bag hasn't slid back towards the stern kinking the fill/drain hose. I noticed mine had slid back - and since I slid it forward I've had 2 successful fill/drains.

When connext is calibrated it is based on the time it takes to fill the bags. Voltage changes will impact this as well as partial kinks in the hoses. The obstruction warning comes from connext sensing more resistance in the ballast wiring which can be caused by voltage drop. Operating all pumps at the same time will cause more volatge drop then just one at a time. The battery size also matters. A bigger house battery will likely help. My best guess on the percentage readings getting screwy is that volatge drop is also impacting connext.

The same goes for the wakemakers timers in that voltage will have an impact. Emptying while on plane vs. floating will also have an impact.

When I did my own after market ballast install I considered everything from timers to a arudino controller with flow meters. End of the day I went with simple rocker switches and am glad I kept it simple.

Even being simple I had a different issue that some here may take something away from. Two of my pumps seized up after bimini. I had removed the bags for space and pulled the fuses so the switches would not accidentally activate prior to tarilering down to FL. I am sure after trailering down the Florida the system was bone dry before spending a week in the ocean forcing salt water up to the impellers (no seacock valves in my installation). On the return tow home I bet it dried out completely again causing the impellers to seize in the housing. I had to pull the impeller plates and use pliers to free each of the impeller vanes. No permanent damage or corrosion but something to consider when trouble shooting.

When connext is calibrated it is based on the time it takes to fill the bags. Voltage changes will impact this as well as partial kinks in the hoses. The obstruction warning comes from connext sensing more resistance in the ballast wiring which can be caused by voltage drop. Operating all pumps at the same time will cause more volatge drop then just one at a time. The battery size also matters. A bigger house battery will likely help. My best guess on the percentage readings getting screwy is that volatge drop is also impacting connext.
Thanks @Mainah - I'll try draining them individually to see if it is a voltage issue just for kicks. Dealer just wrote me back and there is no newer firmware for Connext. You were right in keeping it simple. I may have to do a full bypass soon. How do you keep track of when your bags are full with your manual system?

Try one thing for me the next time you go out. Double check your ski locker ballast bag hasn't slid back towards the stern kinking the fill/drain hose. I noticed mine had slid back - and since I slid it forward I've had 2 successful fill/drains.

I'll check but I was already trying to drain the tanks individually and still have the problem trying to drain the rear tanks as well.

Thanks @Mainah - I'll try draining them individually to see if it is a voltage issue just for kicks. Dealer just wrote me back and there is no newer firmware for Connext. You were right in keeping it simple. I may have to do a full bypass soon. How do you keep track of when your bags are full with your manual system?

I have fill exit lines with one way valves. Once a bag is full water starts pouring out of the side of the boat. Hard to miss hearing that. On the empty side you will hear and see the bubbles from under the boat to a small degree on top of the sucking sound from the bags.

Voltage drop is not only causedby the pumps. Lets say you motor over to where you are doing board sports and fill the bags. You batteries should be pretty well topped off for filling. Do a bunch of towing with the stereo blasting and your batteries might not be fully topped off but in decent shape. Float for a whole with tge stereo going but bags still full and now your batteries are a bit tired. Turn on the pumps to empty and that is a huge draw that will drop the voltage further. A bigger battery will make a difference in this situation. A bigger battery will also have less voltage drop in good health will also have less voktage drop than a small battery in good health given the same large load.

I have fill exit lines with one way valves. Once a bag is full water starts pouring out of the side of the boat. Hard to miss hearing that. On the empty side you will hear and see the bubbles from under the boat to a small degree on top of the sucking sound from the bags.

Voltage drop is not only causedby the pumps. Lets say you motor over to where you are doing board sports and fill the bags. You batteries should be pretty well topped off for filling. Do a bunch of towing with the stereo blasting and your batteries might not be fully topped off but in decent shape. Float for a whole with tge stereo going but bags still full and now your batteries are a bit tired. Turn on the pumps to empty and that is a huge draw that will drop the voltage further. A bigger battery will make a difference in this situation. A bigger battery will also have less voltage drop in good health will also have less voktage drop than a small battery in good health given the same large load.

I have two brand new group 31 Interstate batteries, so they should be sufficient. I am running one additional Polk amp off the house battery though - and we were playing music. I'll sub in my big Optima yellow top next time and see what happens.
In @Jameson Clark case since he is already only using one pump at a time - that seems strange. Could once of the pump motors come unwound a bit or a possible short?

I have two brand new group 31 Interstate batteries, so they should be sufficient. I am running one additional Polk amp off the house battery though - and we were playing music. I'll sub in my big Optima yellow top next time and see what happens.
In @Jameson Clark case since he is already only using one pump at a time - that seems strange. Could once of the pump motors come unwound a bit or a possible short?

In your case with the big batteries they are not the culprit. Could still be that all the darn canbus stuuf that is going is overly sensitivitie to even moderate voltage drop with huge batteries. I would leave the batteries alone and try one pump at a time with your group 31s in emergency combine to see if it makes a difference.

My 0.02

1000% agree on what @Mainah is saying about simplicity there. My system is even simpler with no extra valves (the Johnson pump impellers function as valves there) and no overflow drains - strait up one pump/one bag. Works GREAT. I used WMs harnesses to idiot proof the install (for myself).

I use high idle to fill and empty while running/return. One issue with 3 pumps on the same switch is the draw is huge INITIALLY, so you never want to START the pumps at the same time even though they can run simultaneously just fine.

I have not had any issues after Bimini trip and it was in rough weather. I posted some of the install details but happy to dig it up.

Bottom line, I could not stand the factory system. I would run and install an aftermarket, and never look back.

EDIT: I also learned that the pump speeds are voltage sensitive, the timers - are not!

--

My 0.02

1000% agree on what @Mainah is saying about simplicity there. My system is even simpler with no extra valves (the Johnson pump impellers function as valves there) and no overflow drains - strait up one pump/one bag. Works GREAT. I used WMs harnesses to idiot proof the install (for myself).

I use high idle to fill and empty while running/return. One issue with 3 pumps on the same switch is the draw is huge INITIALLY, so you never want to START the pumps at the same time even though they can run simultaneously just fine.

I have not had any issues after Bimini trip and it was in rough weather. I posted some of the install details but happy to dig it up.

Bottom line, I could not stand the factory system. I would run and install an aftermarket, and never look back.

EDIT: I also learned that the pump speeds are voltage sensitive, the timers - are not!

--
Oh I've studied your build in-depth @swatski - including stealing your aux ballast pump idea. I just don't have your cool wet-compartment on my 21 footer so my aux ballast fill station comes out the port swim platform cup-holder.

When I looked at these boats I went back and forth over if I needed the X - it of course all worked like a champ on the test drive. Now I'm ready to skip Connext all together and go manual. I've seen some of the digital 12 volt timers on Amazon that even include a start delay. Might be very cool to have one fill button start each pump 2 seconds after the first...but would it be reliable?? Don't know?

I like @Mainah lack of timers, but not sure I want to add the vents. Probably safer though. There is just something about Fill All and Drain All automation that appeals to me. Yamaha better get it working a bit better before they up their MSRP much more or market share may suffer. I drooled over a slightly used Cobalt R5 Surf when I took my boat up for service since that works equally well as a run-about. But $$$,$$$ hurts.

Oh I've studied your build in-depth @swatski - including stealing your aux ballast pump idea. I just don't have your cool wet-compartment on my 21 footer so my aux ballast fill station comes out the port swim platform cup-holder.

When I looked at these boats I went back and forth over if I needed the X - it of course all worked like a champ on the test drive. Now I'm ready to skip Connext all together and go manual. I've seen some of the digital 12 volt timers on Amazon that even include a start delay. Might be very cool to have one fill button start each pump 2 seconds after the first...but would it be reliable?? Don't know?

I like @Mainah lack of timers, but not sure I want to add the vents. Probably safer though. There is just something about Fill All and Drain All automation that appeals to me. Yamaha better get it working a bit better before they up their MSRP much more or market share may suffer. I drooled over a slightly used Cobalt R5 Surf when I took my boat up for service since that works equally well as a run-about. But $$$,$$$ hurts.
Not to push Gatlin products, but if I was doing my system again, I would definitely plumb the center locker and then run a lot of testing with the wedge and the custom swim deck bag.
Those three things may be literally all you need (or rather - "as good as it gets", lol).

--

Well, I am personally not interested in redesigning the boat or ballast system. I paid what Yamaha asked for my boat and all I ask for, is that it works as designed. So, for me, Yamaha will need to find a solution and correct the ballast draining issue. Once the season is over, I'll be getting my boat to Yamaha for a few warranty repairs, this being one of them! Mine seems to get worse every time I use the ballast tanks and it has gotten to the point they are essentially unusable unless you want to dedicate 45 minutes to trying to get them drained.

Not to push Gatlin products, but if I was doing my system again, I would definitely plumb the center locker and then run a lot of testing with the wedge and the custom swim deck bag.
Those three things may be literally all you need (or rather - "as good as it gets", lol).

--

For surfing that may be the case. For wakeboarding the rear underseats bags certainly add something to the wake. Is there a link to the new version of the gatlin wedge? Debating that vs tge new yami surf package. I amkeep my boat on a lift now so easily removable and storable may be loss prevention consideration.

For surfing that may be the case. For wakeboarding the rear underseats bags certainly add something to the wake. Is there a link to the new version of the gatlin wedge? Debating that vs tge new yami surf package. I amkeep my boat on a lift now so easily removable and storable may be loss prevention consideration.
I think @Buckeye Boater got one already. I would PM @jcyamaharider, I ordered mine that way (through PM).

The wedge is great. I don't know what it is but I've tested various look-alike versions/devices and "flaps" and never got as good a wave as witht he Gatlin...

Kate watched the Yamaha FB videos last night, she said she does not think the Booster is going to be even close to what we are getting now with the swim deck bag and the wedge... While she may be interested in dissuading my desire to purchase a booster, lol, she is usually spot on about those things... IDK.

--

I just wanted to comment on your post. I had the exact same thing happened to me with the ballast me on the screen. What I finally found to fix the problem was to turn the boat and drain each tank/bag separately by manually pushing the drain button on the ballast screen . I slowly drain each 25% at a time. This fix the problem. I found that it was cause by trying to select another fill setting while the tanks are full. I learned that in order to select another setting the tanks needed to be drained first then another selection can be selected. I hope this helps. I too was very frustrated with trying to figure it out and had the same error show on the screen as you.

Back