• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering a USED AR/SX 210

michaeltango

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Greetings, I need a little advice. We're looking at buying our first boat. Family of 4, but want the ability to take out as many as 9 on a rare occasion. We just went to a local boat show where the Yamaha's were and my wife and I both really liked the 190 layout. Since we wanted to be able to take o ut as many as 9 people, we figured we should be looking at the 210 instead. We rented a few times last year on our local lake and absolutely want to be able to do this for our family.

Since it's our first boat, I really don't want to drop the change on a new boat, therefore I'm looking at used. Locally, there is a 2007 AR210 and a 2006 SX210. Both have wraparound seating and appear to have been well maintained and kept out of the water and only used on lakes. Both are priced around $15k. It seems like the newer ones are well into the $40's/50's which is more than we're willing to spend on our first boat.

Are there any drawbacks to buying a boat this old? Neither one have an hour meter, so that is one concern, but the other is what type of maintenance is to be expected. I'm not really sure what to look for, so any/all advice that you can spare would be greatly appreciated.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First off, Welcome!! Other more experienced people will chime in with additional advice and knowledge, but if the sellers have the Yamaha diagnostics system, the hours can be seen that way. Or if they have any receipts from taking it to a dealer, I'd imagine the hours would be logged on a work order somewhere. The MR-1 engines seem to be fairly bulletproof, I just purchased an SX230 with 300 hours on it in September, and have been reading up on them all winter. Breakdowns seem to be few and far between. There is a FAQ section up top that's super helpful, along with known issues in the model/year specific sections for each boat. And the people here on this forum are very helpful.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
It looks like you are sticking to the good advice of, "Buy your second boat first" which is a good thing! Most mess that up, including myself. I bought a tiny boat first to get my feet wet, pun intended! Now I have a brand new 2020 195S that I did drop $40K on so I feel you on that part! My only input would be to go with an AR vs. an SX to get the tower. If you got kids, they'll love the tower for water sports and it looks like the AR is a year newer to boot.

I don't know much about the 210's other than the engines are pretty reliable. I'll let some other members chime in on specific model years.

Good luck!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Both of those will serve you well. I would point you to the AR as you will find many uses for the tower. I personally would not buy a boat used in salt water unless I had in depth conversations with the owner. If the boat was maintained and hours were under 1000 it is unlikely you will have any issue. If you state your general location you may find someone who has the YDS and can look at the engine hours. I think you are wise to consider a used Yamaha.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
These two gentlemen raised a very valid point with the tower. My SX230 doesn’t have a tower, and that is something that I definitely plan to get over next winter. I’ve spent enough for this year, but I really do wish it would have the tower.

michaeltango

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Other more experienced people will chime in with additional advice and knowledge, but if the sellers have the Yamaha diagnostics system, the hours can be seen that way. Or if they have any receipts from taking it to a dealer, I'd imagine the hours would be logged on a work order somewhere.
Yes! Those are great ideas. I read that a dealer or shop should be able to read engine hours as well, so that would be a good negotiating point.

It looks like you are sticking to the good advice of, "Buy your second boat first" which is a good thing!
LOL, yes. We really like the 190 (which would be more than sufficient), but we are afraid that we'd regret the size when my extended family comes in town and we want to take out more people.

Honestly, I'd prefer to tow the 190 over the 210. I have a newer Tacoma with a 6500 lb tow rating, so it should be able to pull either one with ease.

Both of those will serve you well. I would point you to the AR as you will find many uses for the tower. I personally would not buy a boat used in salt water unless I had in depth conversations with the owner.
Good call on the tower. And no, the boat was a locally owned fresh water boat only.

michaeltango

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What about price. Do you feel that $15k is fair? Do you think I should negotiate lower? What would you guys pay if the boat checked out from a mechanic and appeared to be a good buy?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is pricing info for an 07 AR210. This was base boat/trailer, no options checked. One other difference, I used my zipcode for the pricing estimate. Try it with yours. 2007 Yamaha AR 210(*) Standard Equipment, Boat Value, Boat Price & Craft Specs

20200130_070443.jpg

If you state your location, there may be a member on here who has a YDS (Yamaha Diagnostics System) to check engine hours and fault codes. And knows other things to look for on these boats. Bought our 07 AR230 nearly 4 years ago. She has been a great, low maintenance boat with a few aftermarket modifications to bring up to date. The price looks in the ballpark if the boat checks out clean.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some quick additions.... the vinyl upholstery costs more to replace than you would imagine. I was quoted almost $5k for my 230 if I take it somewhere and drop it off, and $3k if I do all the work, and just pay someone to duplicate the vinyl covers. This obviously isn't specific to Yamaha, it's just a large cost item that I wanted to make sure you're aware of, since this would be your first boat. Take a good look in the engine compartment, if things look dirty, rusty, oily, etc, that would be a big red flag to me. Check to see if it's got any steering enhancers (rudders) like Thrust Vectors or Cobra Jets on the back. Do they still have the factory carpet, or does it have an adhesive backed traction mat on the floors? Look at the scupper and see if it's the factory plastic one, or if it's been upgraded to stainless steel. Past those things, get it on the water if there's any physical way to do so, and make a test run. Nothing will beat a good test run

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What about price. Do you feel that $15k is fair? Do you think I should negotiate lower? What would you guys pay if the boat checked out from a mechanic and appeared to be a good buy?

Use NADA as quoted above. Just keep in mind, you do not add the cost of the trailer, as there is an asterisk, that all Yamaha boats shipped with a painted or galvanized trailer, so it is included in the value. They are pretty close.

I helped a buddy purchase a 2008 AR210 this past fall. So late in the season that we only got two rides in it to be sure it is was in fine condition. You should be able to find plenty of 210's in that vintage at or below $15,000. Many will have them priced anywhere from $20K down, but true value is closer to NADA. Keep in mind that they will ask, and get more in the spring when talking up in our neck of the woods. But boats also have much fewer hours up here too.

Good luck in your search. I think my buddy is more than pleased with the size of the AR210. It has loads of room without being obnoxious. And he should never feel down on power even with a full load.

First ride after purchase, last ride of the season!

PS: Save a little budget for farkels (SeaDek, Fins, toys, color matched cooler, stereo upgrades)

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My '08 Tacoma tows my '15 AR210 with no issues (V6 6500#)

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome! As you noticed, lots of great info here and everyone is super helpful and passionate about their boats!
My story - Originally was going for an 212 Limited (21' and no wake tower). I'm really glad I found the used boat I did (2017 242 Limited S) and favorable price pushed me in that direction. Has a wake tower and was bigger than I thought I wanted. Talking with other boat owners and reading on the forum, I would have ended up wanting a bigger boat for more people and storage out on the lake (we don't have a house on the lake to pull up for pick ups and drop offs) and wanted the tower for better skiing, wake boarding, etc. I like the "buy your second boat first" mentality. It's all a balance and consideration of many factors: What you want, what/how you'll use it for, where you'll store it, etc, and what you can afford. Find and develop a good relationship with a long time Yamaha boat mechanic. They've seen it all.
Bottom Line: No matter which model you choose, you'll end up with a boat that you and your family will enjoy together and that's pretty cool.

michaeltango

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I helped a buddy purchase a 2008 AR210 this past fall. So late in the season that we only got two rides in it to be sure it is was in fine condition. You should be able to find plenty of 210's in that vintage at or below $15,000. Many will have them priced anywhere from $20K down, but true value is closer to NADA. Keep in mind that they will ask, and get more in the spring when talking up in our neck of the woods. But boats also have much fewer hours up here too.

Good luck in your search. I think my buddy is more than pleased with the size of the AR210. It has loads of room without being obnoxious. And he should never feel down on power even with a full load.
Thank you! Has your friend had anything major go wrong? What did he pay, and did a mechanic inspect it?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@michaeltango
If you have some self confidence in working on mechanical things than you can easily keep a Yamaha in good working order. I spend the majority of maintenance time on appearance items such as wiping down the leather and washing the hull. The boats you are looking at are the lower HP MR-1 engines which have been used in boats and waverunners for years. They are reliable and easy to care for. One nuance is to plan on changing spark plugs every 2 years or sooner.
If you ever do run into an issue just post it up here and we will walk you through to getting your family back on the water.
What part of the country are you looking at?

michaeltango

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What part of the country are you looking at?
I am looking in the Atlanta, GA metro area.

Really appreciate your comment - I do most things myself mechanically (brakes, water pumps, radiators, plugs/wires, cv joints etc....) so I'm comfortable tinkering - I just don't want to get in over my head :)

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not sure what the market currently looks like, but those prices seem a little higher than I'd expect for boats of that vintage. In 2016, I sold our 2011 SX210 (great all around boat, BTW) for $23K. I'd expect one 5 years older than that, and now 4 years later, but be closer to $10K than $15K, but I could be all washed up! My only real advice is not very unique - find the newest and best maintained one you can afford. If I were going back to 2006, I think I'd really want to add the 230/232 models into the mix.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@michaeltango With your experience there is nothing on a Yamaha engine that will scare you. You do not need to ever see a dealer service department. Just make sure you pick up the service manual for the boat you buy. They are pretty well done with many drawings.

Lots of Yamaha boaters in your area. One of you Atlanta Jetboaters got a YDS you can loan out?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The early models do offer a lot for the price. You should be able to get a good feel for the condition with a general visual inspection. I like to avoid corrosion on engines and pumps; but if not severe, can be treated and cleaned up with great results too. I have done a lot to my boat over the years including cable changes, stainless scupper, engine removal/installation, led light install, second battery install, stereo upgrades, plug lower half replacement and pulling/servicing and re-anodizing pumps. I have enjoyed it all. I am not in Atlanta; but I do have YDS for the early models. If you have any specific questions when you narrow down to a specific boat, feel free to ask.