• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering buying a 2009 Sea Doo Wake 510hp have some questions

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I grew up on San Diego bay. If you don't have shallow water and sand bars the jet is a disadvantage. Weeds kelp, etc will cause problems as well as cavitation if you're bouncing around. An io has real trim that makes s big difference in ride quality. The jet is also much less efficient. Look at the sea sun deck line. Those are nice.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unless you are set on the fastest boat you can buy for the same $$$ I would suggest a Naturally aspirated engine that has fewer moving parts. The jet N/A (non turbo) seadoos or yahamas are more reliable than large I/Os, and don't have an outdrive. Outboard would be my second choice, as they are self draining and have less moving parts and even fewer holes under the water line than I/Os. Last on my list would be an I/O. maybe cheaper in some cases, and quieter in some cases, but less reliable and many more moving parts, including complex exhaust,risers and seals that rust and give trouble often. Outdrive is another animal. Also their troubleshooting hardware and software costs much more than Yamahas.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The boats superchargers need rebuilt every 200 hours (after the initial ceramic washer replacement)

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would not eliminate a jetboat based on how you will use it. I owned a 21 ft Nautic Star dual console deep v outboard when I lived in Florida and took it out on the ocean all the time . I know have a 242 Limited S Yamaha and with the extra length the ride isn't all the much different then my old boat. I think with how you say you will use it based on my experience the jet is better. I know you are worried about ride quality but even if the bay is rough just slow down - plus I bet you won't be taking many family outings when the wind is up anyway. I know for my family if it was windy we stayed off the water normally - too many nice days to go out when its rough.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I looked at the 230 class SeaDoo's for a while as I was attracted to the same features as you. Fuel economy never comes up in most of these conversations till I was considering the dual SC SeaDoo. Everyone I spoke to with one, said be ready to burn fuel faster than anything you have ever owned. Most said the HP was great, but if they had to do it again, they would buy the NA version.

First reason was the rebuild/maintenance, and second was fuel economy. It's not that they could not afford it, but it was just stupid how bad it was on fuel. That's sort of like saying, if I'm an alcoholic, I would spend whatever it takes to get a drink. But when someone offers you a $30 Six-pack, your priorities change a bit.

Good luck with your decision. There is a lot of good advice above. Asking boaters in your region would be very valuable.