• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering Chaparral VRX

Milks1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone, I’m looking forward to being a jet boat owner very soon. Wondering if you might share some insight. I’ve had wave runners for years but this would be our first jet boat.
I’m considering buying a 2016 chaparral 223 VRX. I’m actually looking at two boats...one with the 300 hp option and the other with 500hp. We will be using for water sports, tubing skiing wakeboard. Any thoughts about the engine size here?
Also, concerning the purchase of a used boat. What might I be looking out for? Both are from dealers. Thanks in advance.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I dont have a lot of experience with the Chaparral boats, although they are known to be good quality. My Yamaha is a 21' with 360hp, I certainly would not want LESS. However I think that the 500 might be overkill, My personal opinion when I was looking at the Scarab was that for the 21-22ft 400hp was the sweet spot. Totally just my opinion though. If you plan to do watersports, get the bigger engines.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi and welcome to the forum. :Welcome:Great spot to be.

I have a 2017 223VRX. I love it. I have twin 250s. Absolutely best boat I've ever owned. If you can, I'd look for something newer due to the supercharger. In 2017 they switched over to maintenance free. Check my signatures for the latest mods. How many hours are on each?

There is also a Chaparral thread on this forum. Check it out. Tons of good info there and on the Scarab forum too (same engines 1500 4-TEC)

Let us know if you need anything. Good luck!

Milks1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi and welcome to the forum. :Welcome:Great spot to be.

I have a 2017 223VRX. I love it. I have twin 250s. Absolutely best boat I've ever owned. If you can, I'd look for something newer due to the supercharger. In 2017 they switched over to maintenance free. Check my signatures for the latest mods. How many hours are on each?

There is also a Chaparral thread on this forum. Check it out. Tons of good info there and on the Scarab forum too (same engines 1500 4-TEC)

Let us know if you need anything. Good luck!
Thanks very much! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. The 500hp model I’m looking at has about 60 hours on it.
I probably won’t even consider the 300hp as I was afraid I would be disappointed pulling skiers, tubers, etc.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks very much! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. The 500hp model I’m looking at has about 60 hours on it.
I probably won’t even consider the 300hp as I was afraid I would be disappointed pulling skiers, tubers, etc.
I think you would be fine doing water sports with 300s. The extra horsepower helps when the boat is loaded with people and gear (board, skiis, coolers, etc.). If you can afford it, go with more HP.