• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coolant question(s)

Jet16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi All,

So today was the first day I had the 215 out and about for an extended cruise. So here are my questions: First, what is the optimal engine temp when driving for about an hour or so? My engines were about 188 Fahrenheit. Does this seem normal?

Also when returning to my dock I opened the engine compartment just to inspect things a bit and I noticed what looks like white paint at the bottom right of the engine compartment. Any thoughts on what that could be? It looks like a little spill actually??

Also I was looking at the coolant reservoirs and I noticed the one on the right side seemed just about empty and the one on the left side was about half full or so. This was from just briefly eyeballing them. I noticed that each reservoir has a clear plastic tube hanging off it that is not connected to anything else. Is this as it should be? Could I have a coolant leak?

If I was going to put coolant in myself what type do I use. Can this be bought at any auto parts store? I'm not really a handy guy so any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jet16 188 is perfect! Thats what the engine runs in optimal conditions.

The coolant tanks should look the same. If one is missing the hose, then just place it back in the exact way the other is. Wait till the engine is cool, and fill to the "full cold" line, and check the coolant in the engine. Just like a car, it will be under pressure so be careful. As far as what kind, just use universal 50/50 mix water based glycol coolant.
http://www.rotax-owner.com/pdf/ROAN cooling.pdf

As far as the white substance, could be just some over spill of gelcoat. Nothing to worry.

Jet16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks ScarabMike!

Just to be clear I'm talking about the clear plastic hoses. They are connected on one end to the coolant reservoirs and the are not connected to anything else. They just hang down in to the engine compartment.

I will look tomorrow to see if they are the same. If one reservoir looks empty or near empty I would assume I have a leak correct? I know that there is also a rubber type hose connected to the coolant tank. Is this how the coolant is circulated through the engine?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not knowing anything about Scarabs (but knowing they run a closed loop cooling system), I'm going to say those hoses hooked to nothing are normal. You have to have an overflow if things get too hot. The cap on your expansion tank will only hold around 15psi or so, which a normal system will never exceed. If it gets too hot, the pressure increases, the cap opens, and the pressure will shoot out that hose to prevent something (expensive) from blowing.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
How would one drain and replace the engine coolant with a higher quality coolant? Do you have to pump it out, or is there a drain?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
This is the antifreeze I use.

63571DCC-3FAB-46AD-BC60-644C0361EE54.jpeg

This is a video showing the flush and refill process.

nesnfred

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see this video on lots of forums but it is a Jet Ski...does anyone know if a SeaDoo Challenger Wake 230 has a drain plug in the same location? Mine is wrapped in a tarp for winter, planning for Spring maintenance. Thanks!

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I see this video on lots of forums but it is a Jet Ski...does anyone know if a SeaDoo Challenger Wake 230 has a drain plug in the same location? Mine is wrapped in a tarp for winter, planning for Spring maintenance. Thanks!
I don’t know for sure, but would bet your boat is the same set up