• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coolant tank full of thick brown

Ralph195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
There is thick Brown substance in my coolant tank that seems to be oil based. But my oil level is OK and not contaminated with coolant.
Does anyone know what this could be?
Thanks

Scarab 215

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'm no expert..

Do you have a brown tint to the coolant color, or is it more like sludge?

How many hours on your engine?

Possible rust / corrosion?

Possible oil in the coolant, however you said oil is not contaminated.

Not certain the recommended intervals / time frame for flushing the coolant system?

Has the system been flushed to your knowledge, possible wrong coolant / mixed different coolants together?

Are you able to share a photo?

geierb387

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Another idea, may be a mix of incompatible coolants? When GM originally changed to Dex cool there were similar issues. Food for thought, if that's the case it will make a nice gooey mess and will need addressed.

Ralph195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Than you Scarab 215 and geierb387 for your replies.

Thanks geierb387 you set my mind at peace a bit with your reply, I was talking to friends that told me that it could be a head gasket or a crack in the engine block. I think if it was a head gasket or a crack in the engine block the engine would be running rough and my engine is running perfect....
Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Sounds for sure like oil in the coolant. It doesn’t take much to turn it into beige mud/sludge. If it was a cracked block, you’d likely see the beige crap on the dipstick. With a bad head gasket, it can push oil into the coolant, depending on which part of the gasket failed. It would be good to check your spark plugs, which can help diagnose the issue. A bad head gasket can allow some coolant into the combustion chamber while the engine is not running. This can cause corrosion, and visible damage to the plug. When the engine is running, there is enough pressure in the combustion chamber to push oil/unburnt gas in the other direction, turning the coolant beige. Not sure where else it could be coming from.