• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cost Comparison of Yamaha vs BRP engines

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I often hear of Yamaha dealer engine repair bills in the teens of thousands and know that Yamaha does not sell complete engines.

This morning I noticed that Great Lakes Skipper is selling full 250 HP BRP engines for $4,500.

SBT sells rebuilt Yamaha 1.8s for $3,900.

This makes me wonder if there is a huge disparity in the cost of Yamaha (perhaps $15K from a dealer) and these BRP engines that are selling for $4,500.

It also makes me wish that Yamaha would sell crate engines so that owners with engine failure could simply buy a complete engine to install.

I think full engine crate volume is so low, and inventory taxes and storage so high that it causes crate engines to not be an attractive product for the builders. It's great BRP has them for sale brand new. I think it's pretty common for all products to reach end of life with their original engine. It sure would be nice if full crate engines were sold cost competitively...but that just seems to not be the case.

Even if for Insurance replacements... I wonder what other reasons there are behind not selling them anymore...You would think you could run the line and make another 500 engines and keep them in storage...I'd like to think there's a reason, but I don't really know what it is.

5oo engines sitting around is a lot of cost and overhead sitting still for months in the shop floor or warehouse. I don't work in manufacturing building boats or engines but we do have many extensive assembly lines and use lean manufacturing everywhere we can at our facility. It's just not cost efficient for a manufacturer to have that kind of money tied up in something that may or may not sell for many months or even years to depleat the inventory, especially if the failure rate is super low. Sounds great on paper but for a manufacturer it's a royal pain in the ass and costs them in the long run where they may never get their money back out of it. IIRC these engines are built in Japan and shipping crate engines to sit over here would be very costly.

Last edited:
I don't doubt you are right, otherwise they would sell them.

Probrably they use same reasoning behind no complete engine assembly as Toyota uses.
Not enough demand because not enough fail to be cost affective. If some do they have the individual parts to repair or rebuild it.

If an insurance company is involved for an automobile they will only pay for a used engine.

Back