• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Covers....Cough.. Sorry, I threw up in my mouth!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I will give DeanCastor credit on the duct tape job on the towing cover of the 242LS we purchased from him this spring.

It had gotten snagged on the windshield and his duct tape job made it all the way home 1700 miles to MN. So this weekend, I left an inflated tube on the bow filler cushions to help support the cover while towing as I always do. But this time, I left two of them up in the bow. It may have been just enough to change the stress on that tear.

Not 15 miles from home, I can see the pool noodle peaking through that I had split and put over the windshield edge underneath. I thought, great, the tape is coming loose. I should pull over and pack all my crap away that was in the boat and fold up the cover.

Not enough time to do that, within seconds it spread and then on one swoop ripped across to the seam. Roughly 4.5' across. DAMN!

My wife says, bite the bullet and order a new cover. We need one for towing this weekend and the tarp shop is backed up for weeks. After a bit of shopping, I see the MSRP of $900, cough, spit. ouch. Then I find discounted prices of $800, $750, and then under $700 for our 2011 model (new old stock) Then I thought of possibly a package deal from Will Owen for a Premium cover and lateral thrusters! Hmm and sneak it past wife!

After closer inspection of the cover, I see the tape actually held, and the additional force pulled it apart from the tape. So I feel a stronger version of the same solution may be in order to get me by for the few times I will tow this season. (we usually are on a lift with the snap on covers)

I head to the local Menards in search of awning repair tape, or something similar like I used on our boat lift canopy. I find the Flex Seal Tape. OMG, am I going to fall for the "as seen on TV" BS? I read some reviews while in the aisle, and found that I could get it in 4", 8" or 12" widths. 8" x 5' was $20, so I bought two, thinking my tear is 4.5' long, and I could go both sides.

I will have to reply with pictures, but this stuff is the real deal. I lined up my rip, and weighted it down with 2x4's in the direction I wanted to place the tape and went to it. It's like an 8" wide inner tube thickness and sticky as all hell. I laid down real well. I did make a 1.5' mistake as I pulled the backing off and it folded over on itself. Damn, that was expensive. So my buddy helped me with the remainder.

The directions said the glue will cure the longer it sits. So we will let it sit till the weekend, and then throw it on the boat. $40 instead of $700 for now. It's worth the gamble. And that rubber tape side is now on my windshield. So I may not need the pool noodle anymore.

More to come...

Last edited:
I've been doing similar repairs on my shipping cover. I towed with the poles in for the first 1/2 of the season last year and I think that overstressed a few areas. They are now starting to split/fray/etc. Being as the shipping cover is white, I headed to home depot and picked up a roll of white duct tape (actually Duck brand, which I thought was funny). I've been patching those small tears here and there as they appear. So far so good, and if it extends the life of the shipping cover two more seasons I'm going to call it a win.

After seeing some of these other covers at the ramp, and since I don't like snaps on my boat.....I'm probably going to try and purchase another shipping cover from Yamaha when this one dies. It's really a nice piece with the felt lining, ratchet strap closure, and bright white color (less heat?!?!). For trailering I don't need the openings for the cleats of the mooring cover, and the poles have remained stowed since the middle of last season (I park in the garage with the cover off).

I’ve used iron patches to repair tears in my canvas covers. For longevity I put a patch on both sides of the tear (I.e., inside and outside). There are often used covers for sale on eBay, I would check the classified ads here and in YJB as well. Great Lakes skipper on eBay sometimes sells shipping covers for under $300 with the anti pooling kit. If you can pick one up for $200 or less it may be a good interim solution for you and you may find it to be a better storage / winter cover than the canvas one. Yamaha doesn’t sell the shipping covers separately.

If you go canvas new or used keep in mind that there are two versions, standard (grey) and premium (black with thicker material and more gel coat friendly buckle and cleat pockets). The premium covers run $200 to $300 more than the standard, new.

Sooo.....I can't find my cover on YamahaSportsPlaza.com I suspect it is correct that Yamaha won't sell these shipping covers direct.

http://commercialsewing.com/ <--There is company that makes them. Wonder if they would make one like the shipping cover if you called and asked direct.

Here's the tag from mine for reference if anyone has any other ways to search by part number for Yamaha parts.
cover-tag.jpg

Good point Ronnie. I have the Grey one now, and would purchase the Premium for sure. I may order one while I am still finding New Old Stock for our older vintage. It is what it is. But I think I can make due with this. I hope it holds as the duct tape was very difficult to pull off. It was obvious that the original tear was not due to cover rot. The fabric is in good condition.

The Flex tape comes in white and black as well. More to come!

Sooo.....I can't find my cover on YamahaSportsPlaza.com I suspect it is correct that Yamaha won't sell these shipping covers direct.

http://commercialsewing.com/ <--There is company that makes them. Wonder if they would make one like the shipping cover if you called and asked direct.

Here's the tag from mine for reference if anyone has any other ways to search by part number for Yamaha parts.
View attachment 76958

What I find funny are the boat dealers that sell the shipping covers. I hope they are at least offering them to the customer, as they are supposed to. I am sure they sold them a towing cover and the customer may not have seen value in keeping the shipping cover for storage etc and said to keep it, or dispose of it for them.

We have the Lund boat factory near us here in Central MN. They shrink wrap their new boats for shipping. It's surprising that Yamaha goes to the expense of actually having shipping covers made.

What I find funny are the boat dealers that sell the shipping covers. I hope they are at least offering them to the customer, as they are supposed to. I am sure they sold them a towing cover and the customer may not have seen value in keeping the shipping cover for storage etc and said to keep it, or dispose of it for them.

We have the Lund boat factory near us here in Central MN. They shrink wrap their new boats for shipping. It's surprising that Yamaha goes to the expense of actually having shipping covers made.

Our dealer told us that Yamaha requests the covers be destroyed upon sale of the boat. That same dealer just gave us ours under the premise that it builds a good relationship with the new owners, it's wasteful to throw away, and dishonest to sell it to someone else when we paid for it.

If Yamaha is already having these covers made, you would think an additional revenue stream would be to sell them as part of the aftermarket parts business. Not really sure why they don't. It's not as nice as the mooring cover, if you're mooring. If you're trailering it's a better use IMO. Seems like they could raise the price slightly and sell a bunch of them at the same time.

I think Yamaha does not sell shipping covers so that buyers must purchase the more expensive canvas covers if they want a custom fit cover for their boat at less than what a third party could sell them for.

I've used Flex-seal tape to not only repair my shipping civer, but also as a preventative to reinforce high wear and high stress points and seams before they blow out. Stuff is fantastic.

I've used Flex-seal tape to not only repair my shipping civer, but also as a preventative to reinforce high wear and high stress points and seams before they blow out. Stuff is fantastic.
This is a good idea I was thinking about what to use over the windshield because I leave the center window open with the hangtyte system and was thinking the corners might wear through quicker.

This is a good idea I was thinking about what to use over the windshield because I leave the center window open with the hangtyte system and was thinking the corners might wear through quicker.
Stuff is Da' bomb and you can put it on in as many layers as you want, if you want to build it up.

Quick follow up on the Flex Seal tape on the towing cover.

The stuff is for real. It is holding up real well on the windshield tear and the small tear over a bow snap. I have one small beef with it. When it sits in the sun, the tapes glue gives a bit. And what I noticed is the rubber tape, may have shrunk. As it left a small snail trail of glue behind it.

This means nothing on the outside. But I had put a backing layer on the inside of the cover as well. This trail of glue has transferred to the windshield. So I am needing to do some Goo Gone removal. But this is a small price to pay for saving so much on the cover.

But if someone asked if they should try it, I would say HELL YES! Save the coin for fun farkles for the boat. Blowing $600-$800 on a cover is no fun. You already did it once!

Good luck!

Good info @biffdotorg ! Might have to invest. Got 2 tears in my cover now. Don't want to buy a new one just yet. Any pics yet?

Sorry, I knew I was forgetting something. I will do that ASAP.

I bought the 8" wide. It comes in 4", 8", 12" White and black.

No worries. Thanks

My shipping cover lasted 2 years outside in northern NY before the felt got moldy and the holes were getting too numerous for duct taping. No used or new shipping covers were available last fall for our boat. I had no Intention of beating up the premium mooring cover in outside winter storage, or hiring some boob to shrinkwrap and mold up the sx192 on a wet fall day, or god forbid the a frame 2 x 4s and tarps. Used this Ttaylor Made G cover with anti pooling poles. No winter boat damage. I have the boat seats coated anyway with fabric 303. will use a donut tube in the bow next year as others have suggested here.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
I've found that fixing boat covers is near pointless. Usually when they start tearing they are brittle and will tear easily. Buy a new cover and use the old cover to protect the new cover. It will last longer.

I've found that fixing boat covers is near pointless. Usually when they start tearing they are brittle and will tear easily. Buy a new cover and use the old cover to protect the new cover. It will last longer.

This is a very valid point. Understand why your cover tore. Mine was from abrasion of the windshield being open, or something external. So I knew it could be repaired as the fabric showed now signs of rot. The tear in the bow was from abrasion as well from the snap under the cover. I could tell it was good, by how well the duct tape stuck from the previous repair.

If your fabric is showing rot from age/sun, it may not be worth trying. It's that time when you go to the Tarp/Cover repair shop and they turn you away. Then it's time to replace it. But if your fabric was tore due to these other reasons, give it a shot. Worst case you are out $20/5ft x 8" roll.

I’ve had several covers over two Yamaha jet boats now. If i get into my boat after i have removed the cover and find a lot of fine dust that is the same color as the cover I know that the cover is on its last legs and I won’t spend much if anytime repairing it as it may not last through the next trip to the water.

I’ve had several covers over two Yamaha jet boats now. If i get into my boat after i have removed the cover and find a lot of fine dust that is the same color as the cover I know that the cover is on its last legs and I won’t spend much if anytime repairing it as it may not last through the next trip to the water.
All true, but that is not what we are talking about here. We are talking about stress tears, abrasions and wear points on an otherwise perfectly fine, relatively new factory shipping cover. In these situations, Flex-Seal tape works very well. It also works well to reinforce seams on new covers to prevent tearing.

Back