• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cracked Wake Tower

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pulled the boat out of the water for the winter and when I took the Bimini top off of the boat, I found a crack in the waketower. This is an Aerial Wakesports Assault tower. It is no longer under warrantee. Any suggestions on what I should do? The photos I have attached are of the top corner on the starboard side.

Attachments

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
You could try to have somebody weld it, but that looks like a pretty high stress area with wind lifting under the bimini. I’m no welder, so it may not work. Maybe a fabricator can cut a section out and patch a new piece in?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could try to have somebody weld it, but that looks like a pretty high stress area with wind lifting under the bimini. I’m no welder, so it may not work. Maybe a fabricator can cut a section out and patch a new piece in?
I am waiting for the company to return my email to see what they suggest. They have installers near me, but no word on any fabricators or machinist that could do the repairs.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd weld it. Is the tower one piece or can you take the top of it off similar to a AR230? It would be a lot cheaper to weld it if were off the boat and you could take it to a shop.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd weld it. Is the tower one piece or can you take the top of it off similar to a AR230? It would be a lot cheaper to weld it if were off the boat and you could take it to a shop.
It is multi-piece, but I have 4 speaker cans up there, so the wires run through it. Might as well be one piece.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is multi-piece, but I have 4 speaker cans up there, so the wires run through it. Might as well be one piece.
Either way, if your going to weld it your going to have to get the wires out of it or they'll melt.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
V grind the crack and TIG weld. Perhaps add another external support like the one lower. Is is just me or does the next major junction down also have a crack at the top edge of the weld or perhaps a non-penetrating part of the bead? Of course remove the wires as already mentioned. Any good local TIG welder should be able to do that job.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
V grind the crack and TIG weld. Perhaps add another external support like the one lower. Is is just me or does the next major junction down also have a crack at the top edge of the weld or perhaps a non-penetrating part of the bead? Of course remove the wires as already mentioned. Any good local TIG welder should be able to do that job.
yes this is almost correct... you need to drill a small hole at each end of the crack like 1/8 dia to stop the crack from propagating... then V out and tig or mig spool gun weld... grind smooth and then gusset... and if it were me Id check the other side for cracks and gusset the other side to match for good measure...

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally talked to the Manufacturer and they recommend that I just replace the tower and use larger backing plates. Really don't want to spent $1700 on a new tower.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
its a $200 fix for a welder and your time to remove and reinstall the tower... take the Bimini pull the wires back and get a canvas to protect from sparks and buy the welder some beer..

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just have to find someone that will come to me. Our lake place is kind of rural.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length