• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cracks in hull below waterline

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
8EB4A530-9359-436B-8379-B45B6C9F96FA.jpeg0B3A07B1-6941-4C10-BB75-DF6A829ACE6C.jpeg
Kind of tough to see in these pictures but I discovered these cracks by the bunks while buffing the bottom of the boat. Do you think they will be an issue with water intrusion?

Last edited:
I know we have some glass guys on here, any advice?

I saw your original post and don't feel qualified enough to answer :rolleyes:

@Murf'n'surf might have a better idea

Hard to tell without seeing in person. Maybe you can answer some questions to help..... Are the cracks in an area that flexes? As in the side of the boat when docking or is this deep under the water? Can you make the cracks open and close by pressing? Tap around the area with the plastic end of a screw driver -- any noticeable changes in sound/feel when you are hitting the cracked area? How do you think this happened?

@Murf'n'surf
These are on the bottom of the boat under the water line. In the first picture from what I can see the cracks start at the bunk closet the the keel and are 4 - 6” long. The cracks do not continue on the other side of the bunk to the keel. In the second picture the cracks are on the keel side of the outer bunk. The black in the pictures are the bunks.

I will have to do the flex and tapping tomorrow to answer your other questions.

From what I have seen of this boat there is a high probability that it partially sank at some point in its life, I’m going to speculate that is when the damage may have happened.

Last edited:
@Murf'n'surf
These are on the bottom of the boat under the water line. In the first picture from what I can see the cracks start at the bunk closet the the keel and are 4 - 6” long. The cracks do not continue on the other side of the bunk to the keel. In the second picture the cracks are on the keel side of the outer bunk. The black in the pictures are the bunks.

I will have to do the flex and tapping tomorrow to answer your other questions.

From what I have seen of this boat there is a high probability that it partially sank at some point in its life, I’m going to speculate that is when the damage may have happened.
I would be interested to see what's hidden under the bunk.

I would be interested to see what's hidden under the bunk.
I agree but I’m not going to try to lift the boat off the trailer, it will be going on a lift at some point this year so I should be able to see that area then.

I did as you recommended and tried pushing on the area and there does not seem to be any flex, I also tapped on it with a screwdriver and it sounds hollow on both sides of the cracks as compared to where the cracks are. The other side of the hull sounds the same way and I’m speculating that there is a rib going across the width of the boat there.

Back