• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

crank but will not start!

Augusto David Rodriguez

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I need help, I have a 2012 Yamaha 212X, port engine crank but doesn't run, starboard it run fine.
I was yesterday at the marina, crank both engines for maybe 1 minute before put in the water.
after I put it in the water i crank both engines and they were fine, i park and shut down, then ready to leave the dock and my port engine will not start again.
Labor Day ruin!. I swap fuel lines to try to find if fuel was and issue.and No luck, just notice that port engine when disconnected wasn't pressure as much the
port engine.( maybe wasn't running as long).Also I replace the spark plugs and nada!, I swap the ECU and interchange the fuel lines and nothing.Did the fuel pumps are different ? The engines are identical!

I need help, I have a 2012 Yamaha 212X, port engine crank but doesn't run, starboard it run fine.
I was yesterday at the marina, crank both engines for maybe 1 minute before put in the water.
after I put it in the water i crank both engines and they were fine, i park and shut down, then ready to leave the dock and my port engine will not start again.
Labor Day ruin!. I swap fuel lines to try to find if fuel was and issue.and No luck, just notice that port engine when disconnected wasn't pressure as much the
port engine.( maybe wasn't running as long).Also I replace the spark plugs and nada!, I swap the ECU and interchange the fuel lines and nothing.Did the fuel pumps are different ? The engines are identical!
Also Check hatch switches , not luck

You said they were both running, but you turned them off and only one will start. Make sure both throttles are in neutral, and the Hatch switches as Augusto mentioned. Seen it before where one throttle was not quite in neutral causing the issue. Good Luck.

You are on the right track......Air...Spark .......Fuel,..... sounds like fuel is not the problem........changing spark plugs is good but one need to check are Thay sparking, and is it a good spark. Last I read this post as the port engine is turning over and not firing? If no spark then it comes down to a few areas .....you swapped the EMC that is reasonable for telling the coils when to fire...... the coils are reasonable for the strong spark but usually all 4 coils never fail at once so that leads you to the PICK UP coil if that fails all for coils go down.

OPPS missed one the Safety lanyard take out the ignition system and it can short and fail just on one engine, even though one switch does booth engines....it a split switch.

Last edited:
i try both throttles back and forward, cleanup hatch switches , i put 'start fluid spray and the engine tun from a couple of minutes

You are on the right track......Air...Spark .......Fuel,..... sounds like fuel is not the problem........changing spark plugs is good but one need to check are Thay sparking, and is it a good spark. Last I read this post as the port engine is turning over and not firing? If no spark then it comes down to a few areas .....you swapped the EMC that is reasonable for telling the coils when to fire...... the coils are reasonable for the strong spark but usually all 4 coils never fail at once so that leads you to the PICK UP coil if that fails all for coils go down.
when i used starting fluid, the engine run until the liquid run out

OPPS missed one the Safety lanyard take out the ignition system and it can short and fail just on one engine, even though one switch does booth engines....it a split switch.
what is pickup coil and where is located?

Well if it runs on starting fluid it has spark that would indicate some sort of fuel problem. Spark means the pick up coil is charging the coils. The pick up coil is located on the back side of the engine bolted to the block and runs off the crank shaft and usually requires an engine pull most dealer do this because it hard hanging up side down behind the motor removing engine couplers drive shafts midshaft bearings ect.......... fairly easy after an engine pull.

Yours is running on starter fluid so its a good thing that the PU coil seems to be working.......now the EMC could be perfectly fine(you swapped them BUT if the injector ground or voltage wires coming from the EMC has a problem in the wire or CONTACTS non of the injectors will fire even on a good EMC.

You need a good Multimeter to check voltages and check the ground wires for continuity. All fairly easy to do with a service manual and a few low cost meters ect.....

Sorry but someone out hear had the same problem and it turned out to be a broken wire in the connector/harness the pushed wire out of the connector. The wire has a little clip that holds the wire in the plastic connector.

I can't seem to find it in a search!!!!!!!

Check wiring at the lanyard, it kills fuel not spark

Hummmm are you sure my wire diagram shows the lanyard black (ground) wire goes to the ignition switch and the white wire (from lanyard) shuts down the EMC /fuel relay. I could be reading that wrong it is close to midnight.....you know old retired guys brains get a little loopy at this hour.

It does match his problem, lanyards can fail(white wire) taking out the EMC that takes out the fuel relay..................but the black wire to ignition remains intact he will have spark to run on starting fluid. If he pulls the lanyard out he should not be able to run on starter fluid.

He needs to check lanyard switch and all wires from switch to EMC, and the fuel relay, and all relay wires to fuel pump...... its not to hard with a multimeter and a continuity checker. A must is the wire diagram from the service manual. At lease 3 wire harness connectors involved. Any one of them can have a corroded pin or broken pin lock. Not to mention a chafed broken wire at some bulk head.

Hope this helps and yes this is why dealers make the big bucks.

You could try swapping the plugs on the lanyard, ignition switches and cleanout hatch switches to help isolate a kill switch issue.

Well. I continue with my frustration
I trouble shoot the wires today's have continuity in Pin 46 on both engines, in both engines the 34,35,40,67 and 70 i didn't have , so starboard engine crank and run just fine, my port engine crank but doesn't , if i apply starter fluid it will run momentary . i swap fuel lines at the engine bay and on the tank, I swap the connectors that send 12v to the fuel pumps, no Joy! Im near Jacksonville( St Augustin) Florida.
In the pass I have call the Jetboat dealers and they have told me that they not working in older boats, and on top of that their first question is if i bought the boat with them!.....I don't understand that logic... I guess I will try tmr but if anyone knows any good jetboat repair facility Im all ears,
Im deploy to Iraq, next week and i will like to drive the boat to a good mechanic/electritian to fix my headache ! thanks

Attachments

• Schematic.jpg
    Schematic.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Pge 2.jpg
    Pge 2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Page 1.jpg
    Page 1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
Back