• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cruising Rpm on the 190 FSH

Georgi Slavov

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey guys
Wondering what rpms do you all cruise at?
I am at around 6100-6500 and for some reason I feel that this is a lot to be running at all times for the sake of preservation of the engine. So I wonder how does everyone usually run those things.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys
Wondering what rpms do you all cruise at?
I am at around 6100-6500 and for some reason I feel that this is a lot to be running at all times for the sake of preservation of the engine. So I wonder how does everyone usually run those things.
Boattest has consistently reported best cruise for single engine Yamahas to be around 6,500RPM or ~28mph.

In the twins I think it is a bit lower, I typically keep mine below 6,000RPM for similar speed but it depends on conditions of course.

It does feel high, especially coming from traditionally powered vessels, but those are just high revving engines that will go for thousands of trouble free hours at those speeds, with proper maintenance.
Makes soundproofing kind of important though, and in my experience this is where the singles lack most due to huge voids /bulkheads and the hull acting like a big speaker box.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed. 6,200-6,600 is the normal "cruising" speed for us. Gets us around 29-31mph or so depending on conditions and load. Can still have a conversation (at slightly elevated levels), but not "putzing along" either.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Swatski makes a good point about the noise. I accidentally found a solution to much of the noise and vibration. After I added my SeaDek the humming dropped dramatically. It's kind of like adding pads to a snare drum. And that is what basically a fiberglass boat is...a drum of sorts. The noise can be amplified by the dead space between decks. When the SeaDek went on, it took a lot of the low-end and vibration off the boat.