• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Curious about fees charged for changing steering cable, replacing throttle and control bucket cable on a sx240

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I bought my boat used, a member from Jetboaters came along to help evaluate. He noticed the steering was stiff. I didn't mind too much, he suggested that I buy a steering cable that way, If a repair was needed I would have it on hand.
At the end of the boating season last year, I sucked up a dock line into BOTH impellers. Somehow that led to the cable to the buckets to break, and for the throttle to not work very well.
I waited till this spring to take my sx240 to the marina, otherwise I would have had to pay winter storage at marina rates (I shrink wrap my own boat and park it some little old ladies lot for $100 over the winter)
I left the boat with the marina in May, and since I was taking the boat to be repaired and had a replacement steering cable, I had them put that on, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
They also did whatever was necessary to fix the throttle, and they replace the cable that operated the control buckets.
I live in Pennsylvania and have a vacation home on the Georgian Bay of Lake Huron. 500 miles! I got the boat back when I went up in the beginning of July. They fixed it, and it runs great! The steering is so much more responsive, and the boat functions as I would expect.
In the past I have had work done at a different marina that charged me $1200 to fix a trim tab for the outboard on a Tracker Targa, and it lasted two weeks. I towed the boat home with a laundry list of things needing done, including the non-functional trim-tab. That bill came to $285 including the other stuff on the laundry list, after 7 years it still works great.
I appreciate that these people make most of their money during the tourist season, I'm OK with that. I expect to pay a premium so as to not have to tow my boat on a 1000 mile round trip. I estimate towing a boat those 1000 miles would cost me $200 more than the family car. Plus the wear and tear on my 15 year old Silverado 1500.
So...............I paid $1,800 U.S. Whaddya think?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did they have to Anything to fix the throttle other than a new cable?

If your happy with the price then it was a good deal, it was certainly convenient for you and that's worth a lot

Usually members can change cables in 4 hours and report it's mot to difficult

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I supplied the steering cables, not the reverse or throttle cables.

INVOICE:
- Customer would like mid to late June -- he will call to confirm dates
- dock lines got sucked in
- throttle got really tight
- shift cable broke
- concerned about the impellers
- please replace steering cables - he has spare ones in the boat that he purchasaed to
have for backup
- he may want it delivered to Dillon but will confirm at a later date
F0VU14610000 STUD, JOINT BALL 2 43.86 87.72
F2DU149C00 Cable, Reverse 1 135.64 135.64
EU0672670000 CONNECTOR, CABLE 2 19.26 38.52
U3466 Tape, Electrical 1 1.93 1.93
408-21021 Silicone Sealant, Clear 1 17.92 17.92
LAB-SER-JR Your boat was serviced by Jeff Rosin 4 hours 130.00 520.00
LAB-SER-KB Your boat was serviced by Kyle Buttineau 8 hours 130.00 1,040.00
Change throttle and steering cables

Sub Total HST Invoice Total
1,841.73 239.42 2,081.15

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS CANADIAN DOLLARS (2081.15 x .75= $1,561.00 US

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Purely speculative on my part...not exactly sure what they did. 12 hours of labor seems a bit excessive.

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was suspicious the hours were padded a bit too. I guess that was my main curiosity concern. However in the end everything is working fine. As in my original post I have been hosed by marinas up there with high fees and then, the worked didn't hold up.

Again I am in the Georgian Bay of lake Huron 500 miles away from home. The high boating season there is July and August. Gas at marinas there sells for $1.72(ca) per liter, which translates to $5.03 (us) per gallon. So, I get the hosing I take, but the beauty and relative isolation comes with a cost.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depending on the amount of time you have off, for $130 CAN$ per hour, it may be worth it to you to explore doing some of the work yourself in the future. It greatly depends on your interest and how much you may enjoy doing the work yourself, but most of the work is quite foolproof and can be done as well or better by someone that cares, taking it slowly, and you get your boat back right away from your own repairs with zero towing to the dealer.

If you are not mechanically inclined and would rather have someone else do this work, It may still be worthwhile to try to find a local Yamaha Wave runner mechanic that should have the experience needed to understand and maintain your powertrain. Thankfully it's generally quite reliable, but simple inexpensive things when done on your own get really expensive with such high labor costs.

Glad its working great, and best of luck whatever route you chose to take.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's what I think @Wade Guisbert. Having your boat fixed $1800. Having your boat to use most of your short season PRICELESS.

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I doubt my diagnostic skills, I'm 500 miles away from home, I have an island property, finding a "shade tree" to work under is problematic, being on an island I have no address to receive packages.

I have known the head mechanic at Desmasdon's Boat Works in Pointe au Baril for many years, he was an apprentice at a marina when I built my cottage. I would rent a tiny cottage from the marina when working on my cottage, and we became friends.

Beachbummer, I did find a Yamaha Jet Boat dealer online 1 1/2 hours away. They may be more proficient and needed less hours. I will keep them in mind should there be problems in the future!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right, the other side of the coin is, you need them at that very moment, and I'm not sure of the volume of business. That may be the most competitive price they can offer without going under with how little work they do. Your alternative was not pay and not have the boat, so I'd agree that you came out ahead overall.

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Priceless indeed! My grandchildren have smiles pasted on their faces on boat rides, regardless of how long we are out!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That, alone, is worth any price.