• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Damage Report...

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were out on the water a while back on an amazing day weather wise and decided to dock at a favorite lakeside restaurant. We were only boat there at the time, tied off well with finders along the port side and proceeded up the ramp for some lunch. During lunch, a few more boats arrived and the wind started kicking up. By the time we came out of the restaurant the wind was coming in off the lake pretty strong and the side of the dock we were tied off to was as windward as can be and there was anther boat tied up right off our bow. However, back to the start of this, we tied up very well and had three over sized fenders in play that were getting pounded but, taking it in stride. The issues didn't start until we untied and tried to muster enough power to depart the dock, without using so much that we hit the boat in front of us. Managed not to hit the boat, and we did get free. However during the process the wind and waves apparently did slam us back against the dock making impact at the aft most corner on the port side. There are now some cracks in the fiberglass. Nothing is loose, or moves, there was no leaking that we could tell. But, there's still some cracks in our new boat. I did not get a photo of it, but it looks as if the rub rail just below the cracks is what took the brunt of the impact.

Any ideas on what level of damage I'm looking at or how I should go about fixing it?

EDIT: came back around to see that the formatting of the post was very out of sorts. It's fixed.

IMG-1451.jpgLocation1.JPGLocation2.JPG

Last edited:
From the picture it does look like just cracks in the gelcoat. I have not done that repair and am not an expert so hopefully someone who has done the repair can chime in.

This video will give you an idea of the repair.... although the cracks were not as extensive as yours in this video it would be the same process. I don't think it would be too difficult... just slow and tedious work. I'm sure a good boat shop could do it for you if you didn't want to try and tackle it yourself.

I know every docking situation can be different but if you haven't used a spring line before to get off a dock when it is tight and there is wind, it might be able to help in the future. Here is a video that will give you an idea of how it works....

Last edited:
Most likely the fiberglass is fine, and I doubt any water will get in. I'd keep using it to the end of the season.

That area would get sanded down, and then a few layers of gel coat sprayed on. Wet sand, polish, wax. I'm guessing maybe $1500 to $3000 to repair, plus anything that needs to be replaced (is there any seadeck near the cracks?)

From the picture it does look like just cracks in the gelcoat. I have not done that repair and am not an expert so hopefully someone who has done the repair can chime in.

This video will give you an idea of the repair.... although the cracks were not as extensive as yours in this video it would be the same process. I don't think it would be too difficult... just slow and tedious work. I'm sure a good boat shop could do it for you if you didn't want to try and tackle it yourself.

I know every docking situation can be different but if you haven't used a spring line before to get off a dock when it is tight and there is wind, it might be able to help in the future. Here is a video that will give you an idea of how it works....

It is small enough that I might just try taking this on myself. It's in a very easy area to get to.

Thank you for the videos! That second one, I'm gonna need to practice that a bit, and get myself and the family up to speed on maneuvers like that.

Most likely the fiberglass is fine, and I doubt any water will get in. I'd keep using it to the end of the season.

That area would get sanded down, and then a few layers of gel coat sprayed on. Wet sand, polish, wax. I'm guessing maybe $1500 to $3000 to repair, plus anything that needs to be replaced (is there any seadeck near the cracks?)
The cracks are localized to just that back corner and don't extend up under any matting or rub railing. After looking at Judge's post, I'm pretty confident that I can knock this one out. It's location is very easy to get to and being that it's on the corner it'll sand and buff pretty well.

Going to take your advise and put if off a bit and file it as post-season quality time with the boat, out of the water.

It is small enough that I might just try taking this on myself. It's in a very easy area to get to.

Thank you for the videos! That second one, I'm gonna need to practice that a bit, and get myself and the family up to speed on maneuvers like that.

I'm working on the spring line techniques myself. I've been taking some boating courses and trying to decide if I want to take the plunge to get a Captains License. Using a spring line is also good for getting into tight dock spaces and / or when there is a lot of wind.

Between crowded docks, wind and current, docking can get stressful but having some tools and practicing can help make things a little easier sometimes.

I don't think your repair would be too difficult. I would like to find an old boat that I could practice on sometime. I look at bodywork much like artwork.... it is a talent. I'm very good mechanically and few things intimidate me enough that I won't tackle them.... but when it comes to artistic-type work, I leave a lot to be desired!

go to the local marina and buy a quart of gel coat with wax and some Silica ( about 40 bucks) mix per the instructions to about the consistency of peanut butter, ( in a glass jar)
then just spread it on and wait for it to dry sand smooth, then color march the gel coat and apply a coat without the silica, dry, wet sand with 2000 grit or higher, repeat until you are happy wax and enjoy knowing you saved $$$$$$

Attachments

• gel.jpg
    gel.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 3
Gel coat isn't as easy as paint .... a small nick the size of a pencil head where no one will ever see it isn't too bad for DIY repair. A large area that requires colour matching and fairing the surface to match requires lots of skill and experience. If there is underlying damage to the fiberglass, it can most likely be repaired from the inside. This area needs to either be sanded down to bare fiberglass (best option) or each crack needs to be grinded / sanded before applying the gel coat. Materials are relatively inexpensive, it's all labor and skill. Color matching is an art.

Back