• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dangers of swimming near marinas

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Since boating season will be kicking off soon for a lot of us, I just wanted to give this reminder about how dangerous it is swimming around marinas and boat docks. I can guarantee that most marinas are wired incorrectly or do not meet the proper electrical codes. If your marina is like mine and they remove the docks during the winter months when they get reinstalled they must be inspected by a certified marine electrician, which probably doesn't happen. Even if your marina is 100% up to code there is no way to guarantee the boats at the marina are wired correctly. Would you hire a certified marine electrician to work on your boat or your buddy who will do the wiring for a case of beer? I will not let anyone in my family swim near a marina or private dock.

https://www.esfi.org/resource/boating-and-marina-safety-263

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is true. I witnessed a friend die this way right in front of my eyes. A few people with us jumped off the boat to try to save him, so it could of been worse. Somehow they were able to escape the shock and survive. I still have nightmares about that day and think what if I would of jumped in that day.

Last edited:

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's important to stress that even if the docks are wired correctly, the boats with their shore power cords running through the water may not be.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
is there an easy way to test for this? could you stick a multimeter leads in the water

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
is there an easy way to test for this? could you stick a multimeter leads in the water
There are sensors or devices available to install on docks that will alert you when electricity is detected in water. You have to trust it though!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes this is a sad reality of swimming in water near docks :(. Last year young girl died from being shocked in the water by a dock at one of the lakes we visit.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While you're on this topic, let's add lifejackets to the mix. It's amazing how many otherwise caring parents will allow their children to swim in deep water without a lifejacket on. As a Public Safety Diver, I can tell you for sure, I have never recovered a drowning victim who was wearing a life jacket. I was just reading an article yesterday about the Chesapeake Bay and the number of preventable deaths every year......dozens! Every Year! Preventable!

Even those swimming around docks and boats would have a better chance of surviving with a life jacket on if they did swim into an electrified area of water.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
While you're on this topic, let's add life jackets to the mix.
My kids aren't allowed to take their lifejackets off in the lake. Only time they swim without life jackets is in swimming pools.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is no need to buy special equipment to check this. A decent multi meter in the $40 and up range will do the trick. Use a non conductive water proof material to hold the probes about 6 inches apart. Turn the meter to ac current sensing in the uA or mA ranges. Anything over .5 mA starts to be dangerous and anything over .15 mA should be corrected. For those of you with your own docks or that keep your boat at a marina why wait. Grab a straw, a couple of elastics and your multi meter to test it yourself.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My kids aren't allowed to take their lifejackets off in the lake. Only time they swim without life jackets is in swimming pools.
no one adult or kid leaves the boat without a life jacket, the river is just too dangerous