• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dead stop to full throttle

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Question for all of you 195 HOI owners... If you are at a dead stop and push the throttle down to full throttle, do you cavitate and hit the rev limiter for 3-5 seconds before it catches? Marine max is telling me this is by design and I'm curious if all of you have the same performance. Just doesn't feel right....

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Nope! My boat comes up out of the water on plane as advertised. I did have a problem early on and it was a locking nut for the impeller wasn't secure properly. Long story.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you seen the other complaints about cavitation? There seems to be a pump sealant issue. Not sure it that's what you have but it could be.

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback-- I told my dealer about this forum and they tested the pump sealant and water tested multiple times. They felt the boat performed to spec. I still can't go WOT from dead stop or pull a skier, boarded, or tuber without cavitation--- very frustrating. Dealer is offering trade to nautique -- hit of 3500 from purchase price of scarab. Feel like I this is issue with manufacturing not sale

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a Yamaha and have had Mercury sport jets and none of them cavitated when going from idle to wot quickly. Well one did exactly as you described and the cause was missing silicone sealant where the pump mates to the hull in the area of the intake. Sounds like something is wrong with your boat too me, I'd also be concerned about any dealer telling me it's within spec and that they would be willing to sell me a conventional prop boat to resolve the issue.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback-- I told my dealer about this forum and they tested the pump sealant and water tested multiple times. They felt the boat performed to spec. I still can't go WOT from dead stop or pull a skier, boarded, or tuber without cavitation--- very frustrating. Dealer is offering trade to nautique -- hit of 3500 from purchase price of scarab. Feel like I this is issue with manufacturing not sale
You need to bypass your dealer and call Scarab directly. @ScarabMike Do you have a number for Scarab?

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
as others have said... cavitation. That is exactly what it feels like. Think of it as burning rubber in a car as you are spinning the tires. If there was no cavitation, then the boat would give you a solid pull from a stop. Find a good jet ski shop or another dealer. If you are out of warranty, it could be an easy fix on your own. Look for loose silicone in the pump, remove it and use an RTV sealant (not silicone) to seal it. RTV has adhesive properties to it and silicone does not. (not meaning to start a debate on which sealants to use , just my opinion)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@luke anderson where are you located, maybe there is a member close by that you could compare to, update your profile with your location, maybe post a video of it happening and slugger55 can confirm his is different,

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It takes the boat a second to be able to push water through the grate and into the venturi. You should be on plane within 3-4 seconds. The thrust is not instantaneous. Mine will top out the rpms and get to speed. This is normal. When you have a problem with cavitation, it will max your rpm, but limit your speed.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds like a problem to me if you cant pull a skier out of the water. My boat will launch people out of the back of the boat if their standing next to the driver.

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks to all-- went out and shot some video tonight but it needs some editing. I will post. It is a lot 3-5 seconds of cavitation without towing. I'm under warranty and marine max is trying to set up a time with a BRP rep to water test. I will being my ski!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't understand, Marine Max already water tested and said it's operating as designed, now they want a BRP rep to witness it ?

Have they never been on another 195 or have another one on the lot to compare it to? I understand if they thought there was a problem and didn't know how to address it but they already tried to blow you off and say it's good,

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look at my boat's performance. You can see in the beginning that there is an air pocket within the venturi. Once the air pocket is pushed out, the boat takes off. I never slam my throttle to full blown from the start. I let the jet pump build pressure, then move the boat to speed. Even with me doing this, you can see the boat take a bit to get to full speed. It should take you with minimal load, 2-3 seconds to plane, and 30mph.

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That's scarabmike-- my buddy recorded a bunch of video but is not very stable or easy to see-- but you can hear the cavitation for a few seconds. 2 adults and 2 little kids. Just over 1/2 full of gas. No other gear on board. I am going to try to get a couple people for a wakeboard run tonight or this weekend and I'll shoot some video of that. As far as marine max, I think there might be 2 different opinions on the table.. One of the tech and one of the mgmt, so BRP will need to opine and see what next steps are. They have been good to work with, I just want the boat to work right so I can ski .

Blake

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@luke anderson Mine does the same thing. cavitates then hits 9000 rpm way above the redline. Still working with marine max, scarab, and brp for the last two months and nothing is fixed

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hey guys I have never had a problem driving the throttle down to full. I'm at 22hrs. I also remember @ScarabMike talking about the dangers of operating above red line due to floating valves. Carefull!!!

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Btw side note...My sealant looks different then what I see here. If that sealant is so crucial why is it applied differently from one boat to the next...WTF over?