• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dealer forgot to close oil cap

ArthurH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So I took my boat in for service and then took the boat out for a run on the lake my wife and I were getting ready to wakeboard, so I reach into the locker to grab the board and notice it is filled with oil! Just what I wanted to see I pop open the rear seats and notice the oil cap wasn't ever put back on. So I ran around the lake for an hour spitting oil out!! Needless to say the dealer will be getting an earful/ fixing issues.. Can the bilge handle pumping oil out or will this effect/ damage it.. Also will this damage my motor I'm afraid the intake sucked some oil in.

Attachments

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off, man sorry to hear about that. I'd be over the top pissed off. This is exactly why I don't take my boats or cars to dealerships (except for warranty work). Nobody cares for your toys as much as you do.

Take pictures!!!
Measure the oil level on the dipstick (if yours has one) and take pics.
Trailer it back to the dealer and let them fix it.
If you're on vacation now, I'd give them a call before you bring the level back to normal and hire a company to clean the boat at their expense.
Whatever you do, don't pump the oil out of the bilge and into the lake. That'll cost you a ton of money if you get caught.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I assume you are bringing to to a dealer and have a warranty. Make it there problem.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, demand an extension on your warranty for the engine!!!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I too would be VERY upset with them. We are all human; but even the most common sense attention to detail seems to escape a lot of dealers. With a forum like this at least most of their mistakes are shared, which increases our awareness and possibly theirs as well. It is always good practice to inspect their work right after anything is done. Any of us can catch something like a missing oil cap. I hate to be super suspicious of a shop's work (boat, car, or even work at the house); but with so many experiences like yours, it is a disappointing necessity.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dude that sucks. I would definitely call the dealer ASAP. People are human and imperfect, shit happens and you were unlucky enough to get hit. From this point it's all about how they make it right. I'd be interested to hear how they deal with it.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
WOW!!! Good luck and hope there was no permanent damage!

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
With this level of incompetence I would question them " EXACTLY" what type of oil they used!
Check that filter...make absolute sure they did the work.
You can see sooner posts from @ScarabMike on here of those particulars.

ArthurH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You know I've always been hesitant to take any of my toys to dealers for crap like this, and it's my fault for not double checking but I just assume that.. Well they can't possibly mess up an oil change... The only reason I took it in is to get it scanned to not void the warranty.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is exactly what I've been talking about. These dealers just make me sick. Good luck with the cleanup.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You'll learn a lot about your dealer based on how they respond to this. They have a chance to win a lifetime customer that sings their praises or alienate one...

ArthurH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So I went in today to pick up the boat from the dealer, they did a heck of a job detail the exterior and the seats it looked great! However the ski locker was cleaned up but still felt greasy, and in the engine compartment there was still oil spots, I left it and told them I was very disappointed in them wasting my time. They are now going to clean it again and drop it off at my house also they are replacing all my wake boarding gear and tube. Oh I forgot to mention I found random screws in the engine compartment!

Attachments

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They must have flushed the bilge really well and got those screws out of their hiding spots! We all have extra screws rolling around in our bilges.

Glad to hear that the dealer is trying to make good on this.

ArthurH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So end result is they cleaned the boat 3 times before I would accept I was being a little nuts about it, but they went ahead and replaced my wakeboard bindings and my tube so I'm good with that. Now it's time to make sure she runs strong