• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dealership said dual battery set up will mess up my boat?????

Chuck town Brad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a brand new 2018 Yahama AR190 (single motor)and I have added a 1200watt 12" subwoofer and a 1000watt sound bar to my wake tower. I was at the sand bar the other day and the boat cut off after a short time will playing stereo while boat was off. I do understand why that happened. So I started researching dual battery set up. I spoke with tech guy at the dealership and he told me it was a terrible idea to run dual batteries because the charging system couldn't charge two of them and it would burn my electronics up and void my warranty. So many people run dual batteries and don't hear of too many complaints. I also heard I should get two separate marine batteries and just run the entire stereo off of that and charge it up when I get back home. But that seems like a lot of extra work.
Why isn't it a good idea. I want to play my stereo all day at the sand bar with out running my boat. Other people people do it with a dual set up. Why is it such a bad idea for me all of a sudden. Or is there a recommended way I should do this properly??

Valuable information is encouraged!
Thanks from Charleston SC.95012

jb32566

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
the dealer is uniformed.

a properly installed dual battery system with an ACR and the correct switch for your setup can provide you some piece of mind and won't void the warranty. the service manager at my dealer actually commented on mine and said he wished they would offer it as an add-on either at sales time or at required services.

i think @ScarabMike had the same issue before he added an ACR.

i did mine myself, but my buddy said that he was planning to get his done at one of the other marinas/retailers. your profile doesn't say where you are, but if you're not comfortable doing it yourself call around. it's not hard, but it is tedious. I broke my install into simple check points and worked on them in the afternoons/evenings and had it completed in about a week.

Here's my thread, but i really didn't need to post it on the website. i just wanted to talk about my specific install in a space-limited boat. there's several other threads about it. I linked to several of them.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/scarab-165-id-dual-battery-install-with-dual-battery-charger.22034/

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
When I purchased my 2015 SX-192, I had the dealer (Cycle Springs) install another battery and a battery switch. There were no issues at all. Don't believe everything you hear. Research...

Chuck town Brad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is an ACR? Me about this. I do have an extra battery cut off switch. And a new truck battery that I never put in my truck. Also bought some terminal connectors today from Wally world.

ACR???
Hmmmmmmmm

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Make sure your second battery is a deep cycle marine battery. I purchased 2 AGM deep cycles for mine. It'll also be good to get them on a charger to keep them in tip top shape.

Chuck town Brad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure your second battery is a deep cycle marine battery. I purchased 2 AGM deep cycles for mine. It'll also be good to get them on a charger to keep them in tip top shape.
Wait.....

The ACR keeps from aux stuff (speakers)from dicharging the starting battery. But when you crank your boat up the ACR closes and the boat charges the second battery. Got it.
So...... It the ACR separates the batteries. How will it help if my boat if off and my stereo is wired to the see on battery. The ACR has separated the two so the radio will only be pulling from one battery. How long will the 2200w stereo last on one beep cycle battery? I do see how ACR protects starting battery but the goal is to sit on the beach with the boat off playing the stereo while having dual batteries pushing it. Right now. The radio will only play for about 30 minutes before automically cutting off due to low voltage. If the radio is connected to the (only one) second battery. How will this prolong my stereo experience?

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Technically the dealer is correct....you can’t just add another battery. You need to add additional components so the batteries can properly charge and be used...

Most people don’t understand how to add additional batteries and might hook one up incorrectly and damage the electronics..I can assure you it’s been done many times before.

Chuck town Brad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or should I connect the stereo to a second and possibly a third deep cycle battery and put the ACR between the 1st and second batteries. So when I do crank my boat back up the ACR will close and charge the 2nd and 3rd back up?

Or is only one deep cycle second battery plenty enough battery to play a loud stereo all day?

Chuck town Brad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So.. you are saying get two more deep cycle batteries and put ACR between 1st and 2nd. Blast the stereo all day off of the two deep cycles and when I crank it back up the house battery will be un affected? How well do these deep cycle batteries work with sending big power to stereo all day? How long should expect t it to last?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thats a good boy in tbat picture!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So.. you are saying get two more deep cycle batteries and put ACR between 1st and 2nd. Blast the stereo all day off of the two deep cycles and when I crank it back up the house battery will be un affected? How well do these deep cycle batteries work with sending big power to stereo all day? How long should expect t it to last?
That's exactly what my neighbors do. They have 3 batteries. One starter and 2 deep cycle batteries. If that's truly your intent, that is what you need. There are others here @swatski, @Julian, @Bruce that can tell you how to do this or guide you correctly to get this done. Search these forums for more info.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jb32566

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
go look at my link for details. you can prob ignore the all of my "blah blah blah process about how i did this and that" and skip down the schematic.

the ACR is an "automatic charging relay." it is basically a microcomputer controlled resistor which senses the battery voltage(s) and varies the resistance between them so that they can charge from a single source.

the batteries will discharge based on whatever LOAD is connected to them. Most people split it into house and start so that the electronics (stereo) run off the house battery and the starter runs off the start battery.
my setup has a single load, but i have it switched between a primary and a backup battery.
bigger (more manly?) boats usually split it into 2 separate loads.

in a 3 battery scenario, batteries 2 and 3 are connected in parallel so that they appear as a single unit that can provide twice the current or sustain the same current for twice as long.

blue sea systems sells a kit with both an ACR and a switch. search around here, people have used the kit very successfully.

adding a dual (or triple) battery charger is a complementary project, but one that is easy to do when you add your 2nd battery.

hope this helps.

Coffeecan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
9502995030Upgraded to dual batteries this year and added a fuse box on the house side. I used blue sea’s “add a battery mini” which is perfect for the 190’s and includes a built in A/C charger. The wiring diagram is from another user, and was great for planning out the additional wires you’ll need to complete the install. I mounted mine to a plastic cutting board then secured it to the engine side firewall. We’ve had no issues with the setup, and it is a real must if your running multiple amps.

jb32566

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Just curious, why did you choose load side for the ACR?
I know I saw someone else go load side also but it seems less popular.
Anyways just wondering :)

Coffeecan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That’s how blue seas has you wire the system. The diagram I linked was mainly to show what new wires you need to cut, but matches up with the wiring instructions for blue seas. I believe it has to do with their switch which is voltage gated, but users smarter than I may be able to explain it better. Manual here95041

jb32566

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
guess it depends on the application.
mine is wired per this app note, but choosing the single load option was just a personal preference:

Battery Management Wiring Schematics for Typical Applications - Blue Sea Systems
Change the drop down menu for alternate configurations. even in the 2 engine 2 or 3 battery configuration it's not wired on the load side. I'm not saying it's wrong, just wondering what the difference is when the ACR is load side.

1558709950909.png

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I just bought a brand new 2018 Yahama AR190 (single motor)and I have added a 1200watt 12" subwoofer and a 1000watt sound bar to my wake tower. I was at the sand bar the other day and the boat cut off after a short time will playing stereo while boat was off. I do understand why that happened. So I started researching dual battery set up. I spoke with tech guy at the dealership and he told me it was a terrible idea to run dual batteries because the charging system couldn't charge two of them and it would burn my electronics up and void my warranty. So many people run dual batteries and don't hear of too many complaints. I also heard I should get two separate marine batteries and just run the entire stereo off of that and charge it up when I get back home. But that seems like a lot of extra work.
Why isn't it a good idea. I want to play my stereo all day at the sand bar with out running my boat. Other people people do it with a dual set up. Why is it such a bad idea for me all of a sudden. Or is there a recommended way I should do this properly??
Valuable information is encouraged!
Thanks from Charleston SC.View attachment 95012
That depends. IF you are only wet slipping your single engine boat your dealer is 100% correct. The Yamaha stator can NOT charge more than one battery to 100% charge by itself AND only properly charge ONE battery (without shore power charger or at home charger assistance) if it is a series 24 TPPL. In almost all instances if the battery or batteries are not put on a shore power charger or home charger they will not reach 100% charge, will sulfate and receive less and less charge until they fail. Using a solar charger in a totally wet slipped boat (unless a series 24 TPPL battery) will only delay the inevitable. As well, the Yamaha will only properly charge a series 24 TPPL - not a bigger battery ie. Series 27 or 31. If you have two engines that will allow a wet slip for two series 24 TPPL batteries. HOWEVER - if you are charging your batteries after EVERY run (at the dock at home) you can run as many batteries as you want and avoid sulfation and declining battery acceptance percentages.....sooooo - it depends!

Last edited:

Heizen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The kind of battery you’ll need is determined by your boat’s particular power requirements. Batteries must be compatible. Get a secondary battery that matches the first to prevent power distribution issues. Make sure that the boat’s dual battery switch is built for two batteries and can withstand the current while starting the engine. For most outboards and/or gasoline inboards, a continuous rating of 250 amps is adequate.

Last edited: