• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Deciding on size

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I went to look at a couple of boats today to decide on what would be best for my family. After researching I was almost certain that the Ar192/195 would have been it. Went and looked at the brand new ones to check out if the 19’ was actually enough which it is but a brand new one is out of the budget at $35.5 OTD. I did find a used 2008 Ar230 on Craigslist that was a couple of hours and went to check that one out. It is a one owner boat with 90 hours, very clean and taken care of besides the engine compartment( says he never cleaned that area.) Has always been in fresh water and covered under a shelter. Should I go with an older bit bigger boat even though I have a family of 3 and the AR192/195 would be just fine?

Here is the link of the 2008 Ar230. Is it worth $23k for that old of a boat?

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/d/2008-yamaha-ar230-jet-boat/6533119023.html

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Shiver. The advice you may get from many on this site is buy your second boat first. You didn't mention if this will be your first boat or how old your child is or if it's your only but you can bet on family and friends joining you on the water.

This 2008 utilizes the twin MR-1 HO motors which have a great reputation for being bullet proof. It also has seating for 10 so you will have plenty of room for friends & gear. If the boat checks out that would be my pick.

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will say that 08 230 looks mint. And those engines are bulletproof.
Plenty of included items and upgrades.

What is your tow vehicle?

Last edited:

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This will be my first boat, which is one reason I did not want to spend to much money. I do have a 7 year old daughter and one dog, maybe some family that would go out every once in a awhile. I did take some pictures of the things I noticed including the engine compartment.

Attachments

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would investigate that bow eye a little further. I may have missed something in the other photos, but the bow eye pulling through would be the biggest concern I see. Look to see if it has just loosened up, or if it is actually pulling through the fiberglass. It's supposed to have a backing plate on it to prevent that.

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would investigate that bow eye a little further. I may have missed something in the other photos, but the bow eye pulling through would be the biggest concern I see. Look to see if it has just loosened up, or if it is actually pulling through the fiberglass. It's supposed to have a backing plate on it to prevent that.
It looked to be only the adhesive, didn’t see any of the fiberglass or anything of that nature coming through.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Shiver I would jump on that 2008 230 in a hurry!!!!

Look, there will be things to fix, no doubt. But if it is what is shown in pictures - I woldn't hesitate for oine second, I would be on the road, like - now.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seriously - the way I see it - if you can do a sea trial and everything is working, and there is no funny business - this boat is a rare and awesome find.

--

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seriously - the way I see it - if you can do a sea trial and everything is working, and there is no funny business - this boat is a rare and awesome find.

--
Today was a crappy day, cold and started to rain. If I decide to move forward he said there would be no problem putting in the lake to test everything out. He brought the batteries from his house off the battery tinder after 6 months of storage and both motors fired up with in 2-3 seconds.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looked to be only the adhesive, didn’t see any of the fiberglass or anything of that nature coming through.
I see what you're saying after a second look. I think it was a reflection throwing me off. I didn't see anything else overly concerning. As a person who has bought a lot of used boats, I can tell you I never found one that didn't need at least a little TLC. @swatski 's enthusiasm notwithstanding, if the sea trial proves out well, it looks like a pretty good deal.
Don't forget to look closely at the trailer as well. It's part of the deal and needs to be roadworthy as well. If its a painted trailer rust can definitely be an issue and may require trailer replacement if severe enough. If so, that should be figured into the price. Look over the trailer while the boat is on and off it.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Today was a crappy day, cold and started to rain. If I decide to move forward he said there would be no problem putting in the lake to test everything out. He brought the batteries from his house off the battery tinder after 6 months of storage and both motors fired up with in 2-3 seconds.
Seriously - if everything checks out, and sounds like you are dealing with a super nice human being/seller, you have basically nothing to worry about. These boats are extremely reliable, the 2008-2009 were the best production years IMO. I almost bought a 2009 242LS in 2016 for a steal price of 25k - it was a failed ebay transaction, long story, but the dude bailed on me. I was very bummed.

Good luck with this one - this looks VERY PROMISING!

As far as functionality - this boat will be more capable than any single, the only issue is storage and towing.

--

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree, if its as good as it looks, I highly doubt you'll ever regret the purchase.

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see what you're saying after a second look. I think it was a reflection throwing me off. I didn't see anything else overly concerning. As a person who has bought a lot of used boats, I can tell you I never found one that didn't need at least a little TLC. @swatski 's enthusiasm notwithstanding, if the sea trial proves out well, it looks like a pretty good deal.
Don't forget to look closely at the trailer as well. It's part of the deal and needs to be roadworthy as well. If its a painted trailer rust can definitely be an issue and may require trailer replacement if severe enough. If so, that should be figured into the price. Look over the trailer while the boat is on and off it.
The trailer is painted black and already has some rust on the fender, not much and it hasn’t been used being that it was only used maybe a half mile to the boat ramp and back to dry dock for storage. He did replace tires a couple of years ago due to dry rot.

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Curious to how much an aluminum or galvanized trailer would be?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Livewire

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I agree with @swatski. I was looking for 07-09 ar230 when I found the 232 limited that i wound up buying. If I had of found the one you just posted I would be on my way to NC lol. The tubes, jackets, skis add to the value. Price seems spot on, but offer 20k and see what happens.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I must admit those 2008 AR230 have my favorite hull graphic.
They look so good on the water. The first time ever I saw one many years ago on my river - I assumed it was a wake boat, a v-drive. Couldn't believe it was a jet boat! That made me look, and the rest was history, sold my last o/b few years later and never looked back.

--

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @swatski. I was looking for 07-09 ar230 when I found the 232 limited that i wound up buying. If I had of found the one you just posted I would be on my way to NC lol. The tubes, jackets, skis add to the value. Price seems spot on, but offer 20k and see what happens.
He seems to be real firm at $23k. Not sure he is going to budge much if any until at least a month has past.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine is a loadrite and it was approximately 3k.. With radial tires... Led lights torsion axels... Nice rims... 4x4 main bunks and trailer guides.... My old MRI trailer isn't even in the same catagory as this thing... Light years better...

Livewire

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
He seems to be real firm at $23k. Not sure he is going to budge much if any until at least a month has past.
Still that's a good deal. That's what I paid for my 09.