• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Delaware River debris (Philly to Trenton)

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I spent my winter convincing myself the Delaware River between Philly and Trenton would be a viable option this year. Closer than the Chesapeake and more to do than the lake (Beltzville). However, my first cruise last weekend was a disaster. There hadn't been any heavy rains so I thought the river would be fairly free of debris but it was a war zone. Within seconds of entering the river I sucked up a sick and was lucky enough to spit it out. Spent the next 10 min trying to avoid all sorts of logs and sticks. Quickly sucked up another stick that wedged in my impeller and ended my day.

So I'm hoping someone can shed light on if it's always like this? I know it's bad after heavy rains but is it always like this in the Spring regardless of rain? If this is the norm (even during a dry July & August) I doubt I'll risk going back.

On a related note, I've seen posts about boating near Upper Black Eddy. Where is a good ramp on the PA side and how much of the river is navigable in that area?

Last May we went out on the Delaware river between Wilmington de. and Philadelphia, and we had the same experience. Lots of debris, trash, sticks, logs, a giant black plastic pipe, a telephone pole! Have not been back since. So unfortunately I cannot answer your question about July and August, but last year was the same.

It's pretty bad in the Spring, for sure, but not routinely as bad as you described. Once all the winter debris finally runs out, water is generally pretty clear except for a day or two after a huge storm. In the 5 years we've used this boat on that river, I've only had to pull my plugs a handful of times. July/Aug/Sep is pretty perfect, warm water and clean outside of storm debris.

Its not better North either, here from the Pocono's to the Lehigh Valley is bad....

It's pretty bad in the Spring, for sure, but not routinely as bad as you described. Once all the winter debris finally runs out, water is generally pretty clear except for a day or two after a huge storm. In the 5 years we've used this boat on that river, I've only had to pull my plugs a handful of times. July/Aug/Sep is pretty perfect, warm water and clean outside of storm debris.

^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^
Ten years for me.

^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^
Ten years for me.
So when is it generally safe to use a jet boat on the Delaware? I either had terrible luck or I just went too early in the season. Should I use the lake through June and attempt the Delaware in July+?
I thought I was being prepared by using this site and monitoring water depth fluctuations.

Was out today no trash no debris no nothing. Sometimes it’s good and sometimes it’s not so good. ?‍♂️?‍♂️
Mostly stay between neshaminy marina and Trenton .

So when is it generally safe to use a jet boat on the Delaware? I either had terrible luck or I just went too early in the season. Should I use the lake through June and attempt the Delaware in July+?
I thought I was being prepared by using this site and monitoring water depth fluctuations.

We've been out on the river as early as march and as late as November. No time that I wouldn't use it, weather permitting - just need to keep an eye out a little more in the spring when the rain picks up.

Back