• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Deluxe Cover

dexx00420

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bought new with the boat July of this year......$800......not very cool. Did some looking around and can't seem to find anybody else with this issue. What's strange is that it's only on the gas pocket, all the others look great.

Cover 01.jpg Cover 02.jpg

that's not right at all....i agree...demand another. your dealer didn't throw a cover in with your deal??!!

Maybe spilled fuel on it?

that's not right at all....i agree...demand another. your dealer didn't throw a cover in with your deal??!!

I sent pictures of it to the dealer yesterday, if they don't replace it I'll be getting very vocal about the situation. In regards to them throwing one in....no luck there; the dealer in my area has zero issues moving boats so there was pretty much zero flexibility on price and freebies.

Maybe spilled fuel on it?

Negative on that....every time I have fueled up the cover wasn't on the boat for the trip.

I have the same thing on mine, 1 year old and only the gas cap cover.

Maybe it is from the fuel venting from the vent during storage. Seems weird more then one would have same issue.

In regards to them throwing one in....no luck there; the dealer in my area has zero issues moving boats so there was pretty much zero flexibility on price and freebies.

My local Yamaha dealership is the same way. Nice enough people, but they simply don't deal because they don't need to. Hence the reason I bought my boat out of state and had it shipped 1000 miles and still saved thousands of dollars.

Regarding the cover, I would think a good canvas shop would be able to replace the gas cap area on your cover with something that will last. I know you hate to pay them to do anything, but it beats scrapping the cover entirely. Good luck with the dealership.

I think the fumes may have something to do with it but I think the brains at Yamaha should figure that out before they start charging what they charge for something like this. I'd expect to have some crappy issues with a generic cover but not a cover like this one.

SCSTWG I may go out of state for the next boat. I don't think I'd mind doing a couple hundred miles for the right deal....live and learn from the first I guess

I agree. The price is crazy. Glad mine was at a great price of free.

I agree. The price is crazy. Glad mine was at a great price of free.

LOL I love freebies! I remember somebody on here saying their dealer told them they don't charge repeat customers for their covers. I think I'll be going off of that philosophy if / when we go for a 242 from this dealership.....in five very long years.

I made my dealer give me one for all the trouble they gave me with my old boat service. I sent a bad survey in to Yamaha on them and I guess It really hurts them.

Looks like there may be a fight in my future. My dealer said the manufacture of the cover (not Yamaha) wants the cover sent back East for repair. This isn't going to fly with me. This thing is two months old and already doing this. If they don't do a warranty replacement I think I'm going to become as vocal as possible about this issue. If the manufacture doesn't want to replace it, then I think my dealer should step up.

Greg, I may have to go your route with some negative feelings to Yamaha for these people to smarten up. Not a very good start for my Yamaha dealer relationship.

@dexx00420 It would be worth your trouble to buy your next yamaha with @Ziess21 at river city boats in oregon. customer service is top notch!

My cover is still in the box. Still using shipping cover. Hope I don't have issues when I start to use it.

Looks like there may be a fight in my future. My dealer said the manufacture of the cover (not Yamaha) wants the cover sent back East for repair. This isn't going to fly with me. This thing is two months old and already doing this. If they don't do a warranty replacement I think I'm going to become as vocal as possible about this issue. If the manufacture doesn't want to replace it, then I think my dealer should step up.

Greg, I may have to go your route with some negative feelings to Yamaha for these people to smarten up. Not a very good start for my Yamaha dealer relationship.

Referencing my decade working with numerous car dealerships (Toyota, Ford, BMW, Honda), I have seen problems like this before. The dealer not wanting to "warranty" the cover. Technically speaking they are correct - they cannot "warranty" an item that is not "theirs" (ie: Yahama name brand). That being said however they did sell it to you. This falls under Accountability/Responsibility. Since they sold this item to you they are to hold, at least, partial responsibility. Your best bet is to start at the level of your local dealer. Document EVERYTHING - who you talk to, when, what they say, how long they place you on hold, how many times you are transferred, how much of your time that you have to spend on this, etc. Reason being is that if you need to go to corporate you become a legitimately concerned customer and not just running off of emotions and "upset". With a documented concern you will go much further.

I wish you the best!!

Last edited:
I just bought the same cover from Amazon. Been on the boat outside for maybe two months total. Inside the rest of the time. (It was bought late last year. And parked inside most of the time without the cover) mine is starting to do the same thing to the gas cap cover only. I'm guessing the ethonal in the gas is doing it. Might just have to return it to them if they will work with me. Good luck with yours!

Back