• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Depth Comm Err- '16 242 LSE- RESOLVED!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So this is a new one... Out on the water for about an hour, sitting peacefully enjoy the day and all of the sudden, 'Depth Comm Err' happens, alarm etc. So I mute it and it's stuck on a specific depth along with no water temp, and the little quote bubble pops up and says Depth Comm Error.

So I mute it, thinking it's a glitch. Nope, comes back on. So I completely power down and reset everything, all good for 5 minutes, beeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppp- Depth Comm Error. Boat runs normally otherwise, just the Depth Comm Error repeats going off. Sitting,, underway, perpetually happens.

I'm thinking it's a transducer connection either at the helm or at the hull transducer. The helm is easy, how about getting to the transducer?

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Could be the connection, low voltage or a bad mcp chip in the transducer or receiver. Commincates over standard n2k for depth and temp. No idea if the transducer wire has connections at both ends or if the wire comes straight out of the transducer body.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On my boat there is no connector on the transducer and its just a cable to runs from it. Getting access to it on my boat is easy as removing the twist n lock access panel on the cleanout tray. Not sure if y'all have the access panels on the twin engines but if not you can easily remove the entire tray. You'll want to reseal it, not that it was really sealed from the factory anyways though...

Stpndeep

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've got the same problem on my 2016 242 Limited E. It will behave normally for a short while after I first turn on the boat. Doesn't matter if it's just float mode or running it out on the water it still goes into error. 2 hrs to the nearest dealer sure would be nice to solve this without the 8 hrs of driving.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had my dealer look at it, they went through all connections and secured the cables to ensure they wouldn't bounce around. To no avail, went back out and 20 minutes in, the alarm goes off again! So it's going back to the dealer when the new transducer and sending unit come in. I'll let you know what I find!

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had the same issue, but it only happens in the driveway. Never had it happen on the water.

Stpndeep

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had my dealer look at it, they went through all connections and secured the cables to ensure they wouldn't bounce around. To no avail, went back out and 20 minutes in, the alarm goes off again! So it's going back to the dealer when the new transducer and sending unit come in. I'll let you know what I find!
Thanks I'd love to know that solves the problem. Just to add a bit more to the confusion it has worked perfectly for the last 2 days for about 6 hrs per day. It's real hard to fix it when it doesn't stay broken.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here's a head-scratcher... Went out for 6 hours yesterday and not a single issue with the depth com error. WTF?!?!

Last edited:

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Issued resolved! Dealer replaced the transducer and said there was a faulty component within the transducer and that they've done a couple of these so far this year. They went through all connections and components and it ended up being the transducer itself.

Jose galvez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone it’s been a while does anyone have any idea where the original transducer is located on the 2015 Ar240

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone it’s been a while does anyone have any idea where the original transducer is located on the 2015 Ar240
It's at the bottom of the bilge - under one of the water boxes. I can not find a good pic right now...

--

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here you go. Remove the access cover in between the clean out ports and look straight down.
Yours will be identical minus the bilge pump I installed.
Here is a pic with the white arrow pointing at it.

I have the same issue and dealer blamed it on my stereo system. Doesn’t bother me much because I have an external transducer.
CF33D107-4347-47D8-8AC7-57DF3876C5A0.jpeg

I do wish someone had the airmar replacement part number as replacing it isn’t that hard.
Yamaha wants over $600 for just the transducer!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do believe that connexting an aftermarket transducer to the stock nmea network will work as depth and temp are standard nmea pgns on Connext.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I do believe that connexting an aftermarket transducer to the stock nmea network will work as depth and temp are standard nmea pgns on Connext.
Really? My boat is in the driveway. I’m going to check.
Looking at the Yamaha transducer I can swear I seen a gray connector vs the round din for aftermarket transducers

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Really? My boat is in the driveway. I’m going to check.
Looking at the Yamaha transducer I can swear I seen a gray connector vs the round din for aftermarket transducers
Beware that you don’t want two devices broadcasting on the same pgn unless the receiving hardware can handle it (Connext cannot) so first disconnect the factory transducer.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Beware that you don’t want two devices broadcasting on the same pgn unless the receiving hardware can handle it (Connext cannot) so first disconnect the factory transducer.
One more thing. The factory transducer is N2K and Connext will not recoginize 0183 so the new transducer must be N2K

Andy Forsyth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a "new" 2017 SX210. Have an intermittent comm error on the Connext system. (No depth, speed info) and the master alarm comes on/ off & drives me nuts. Checked for bad grounds and loose wires - all good. Battery shows 12.2 - 12.7v. Sometimes everything works perfectly. Bad transducer? Or maybe the Connext unit itself?

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a "new" 2017 SX210. Have an intermittent comm error on the Connext system. (No depth, speed info) and the master alarm comes on/ off & drives me nuts. Checked for bad grounds and loose wires - all good. Battery shows 12.2 - 12.7v. Sometimes everything works perfectly. Bad transducer? Or maybe the Connext unit itself?
On mine it was the transducer that was bad. I had to replace it myself since the YES warranty doesn’t cover it.

It was easy just the part was $500.

Andy Forsyth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On mine it was the transducer that was bad. I had to replace it myself since the YES warranty doesn’t cover it.

It was easy just the part was $500.
Thanks. Since I just got the boat a month ago, hopefully warranty will cover it.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One more thing. The factory transducer is N2K and Connext will not recoginize 0183 so the new transducer must be N2K
Hypothetically (if one were going to install a GO12 XSE) would it be possible to somehow split the factory transducer lead to input into the Simrad? I will not be needing fishing style transducers (although I do want a forward scan one) so I would simply like the temp and sounder feature imported into the Simrad.