• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Depth Finder problems

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The depth finder in my 255 has not worked properly since new. Erratic measurements, blank screen etc... The dealer tried a new transducer and no luck. Dont know if they changed any of the wiring though. Could it be a faulty display? Anyone else experiencing this problem?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The stock BRP depth finder isn't the best. It will show lines if traveling in shallow water sometimes, and it will also be 2-3 seconds behind when moving fast. It's a common issue that affects the top of the line GTX seadoo crafts as well.

If your looking for precision, you'll have to install an aftermarket depth finder.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Laggie, would be ok...but even in 20ft of water we are getting readings of 350ft! Lol

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Even though that sensor is the same as what can be found in Sea-Doo PWC, I think Scarab are buying them directly from the manufacturer & not from BRP.
As ScarabMike said, they are not comparable to a SimRad or RayMarine. You have to make sure there is absolutely no air gap between the hull & sensor.
Sometime installing it in a different hull location will help the signal.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So, picked up the boat today. They are certain they found the problem in the harness...so will be testing tomorrow to verify!

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Update: SUCCESS! It was a faulty connector. So it easy the wiring..

Jwalk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am having similar problems with depth finder on my 255, when I am in water less that 3' or 4' deep screen shows no depth reading just a verticle line. Also does fuel gauge read empty and beep every time you start the motor?

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Did the dealer gave you a bit more specific details on the wiring problem?
Just curious to know at the type of problem & at what ends.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
dealer said it was a harness problem...they replace a part of the harness....which one, I cant tell...I wanted to leave quick to get back home. But after 5 hours in a rough lake, the depth finder worked as expected. I will be getting the paperwork this week and will update. I looked under the dash and at the transducer harness and nothing looked hacked...so what ever they replaced was an entire portion of the harness.