• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Depth finder

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Ya'll. I'm sitting in my house watching it snow. Its a little early for Alaska. I was at Bass Pro the other day and I happened to walk past some depth finders. One brand was Hummingbird and the other was Lowrance. I was looking at models around $200-400. I'm looking for something that would show the lake depth as well as GPS navigation. My first question is can I mount the transducer on the bottom of the boat without having to cut a hole in the hull? And second, any recommendations on a good model to buy?

I saw some really nice ones for $3,000 that mentioned something about radar and a FLIR. Now, my Navy Seal days are over, so I don't think the FLIR is something I need, I have to get the quad .50 cal mounted first. :)

I hope everyone has had and is still, enjoying a nice boating season. Ours was short, but we are loving the boat.

Most fish finder/chart plotters have the option for either a thru the hull transducer or a transom mounted transducer. When I recently added a Garmin echoMAP 54dv I went with the transom mounted transducer, I wasn't comfortable that I could properly place the through the hull transducer.

Most fish finder/chart plotters have the option for either a thru the hull transducer or a transom mounted transducer. When I recently added a Garmin echoMAP 54dv I went with the transom mounted transducer, I wasn't comfortable that I could properly place the through the hull transducer.
Thanks. How is the transducer mounted on the transom?

I bought the one you have. Looks like a nice model and I like Garmin products. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks. How is the transducer mounted on the transom?

I bought the one you have. Looks like a nice model and I like Garmin products. Thanks
I really like the Garmin GPS unit, I had mine for about 6 months.

The Garmin transducer mounts just like the factory transducer, with 3 stainless steel screws. I put my Garmin transducer where the factory one was, right side of the port engine and moved the factory transducer to the right side of the scupper valve. I kept my factory depth finder in place so that when I didn't take my GPS I still had a depth reading.

what are some feedbacks for Lowrance Elite 4-Chirp?

Overton has a sale going on with a lake cartography and a sun cover for $279.99 and free shipping

I really like the Garmin GPS unit, I had mine for about 6 months.

The Garmin transducer mounts just like the factory transducer, with 3 stainless steel screws. I put my Garmin transducer where the factory one was, right side of the port engine and moved the factory transducer to the right side of the scupper valve. I kept my factory depth finder in place so that when I didn't take my GPS I still had a depth reading.
Thanks

@Noko , I think your stock transducer is mounted through the bottom stern of the boat whereas @andy07sx230ho 's hangs off of the back of the stern. I did the thru hull thing for my after market depth finder (garmin no plotter) and it was a pita removing and reinstalling all the plumbing under the clean out port access hatch). In retrospect it would have been a lot easier to drill three screw holes as well as an hole to pass the transducer lead through than epoxy another transducer in place next to the stock one (plus I would have gotten the water temp feature to work instead of getting the temperature of what is in the bilge area).

@blacksapphirez , it's been a while since I looked at depth finders and plotters but when I did there were several units that utlized chirp technology but none came with a chirp transducer. The chirp transducers I did see cost more than the depth finders / chart plotters that could use them (e.g. $700 for the depth finder and $1,100 for the chirp transducer). Also, all of the chirp transducers had to be mounted outside the hull.

what are some feedbacks for Lowrance Elite 4-Chirp?

Overton has a sale going on with a lake cartography and a sun cover for $279.99 and free shipping

I don't have any feedback on it specifically, but I was looking at that one as well. I have a friend that has a similar Lowrance model and I'm very impressed with it. I need to do gain some more knowledge before I pull the trigger.

The Lowrance does come with a transducer, designed to be externally or internally mounted. I bought the same unit with Navionics charting; the charts are great. I have not yet mounted the transducer, but I plan on putting it inside the hull near the stock thru hull one with epoxy.

I installed a lowrance Elite 4 HDI this spring.

I liked the unit and it was helpful when trolling, navigating on unknown waterways and tracking waypoints.

I followed this install thread created by @Seadeals https://jetboaters.net/threads/elite-4-hdi-install-advice-and-writeup.4222/#post-75390

The only thing I did different from his install was to drill a new hole for the water outlet on the other side of the pump. I went to advanced auto parts and purchased a longer radiator hose to account for the additional length.

Back