• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Depth gauge flashing

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any thoughts on why the depth gauge readout is working and accurate when not moving, but flashing and only showing the depth last detected while stationary?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gremlins?

More seriously, is there standing water in the bilge around the transducer? If there is a break in the wire, it may be shorting out while you are level. Underway the pitch of the boat may move the water away and cause it to work again.

Or it could be anywhere along that wire, of course. But I would start at the transducer and see if some insulation got torn off of it or something.

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stationary and bucket in neutral, or engine off? And I assume you mean working and accurate when *moving*.

If running and in neutral, then it's because of turbulence/bubbles near the transducer, making it temporarily unable to get a clean "ping" off the bottom. I often see that when starting to maneuver just after launching, particularly in slow reverse. If when the engine is off, then you may have something else going on with the transducer itself or the wiring.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Let me clarify... engines running, slow or no speed display is not flashing and is accurate. At cruise speeds, display flashes showing the last depth registered before the flashing began.

typhoon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
At cruise speeds, display flashes showing the last depth registered before the flashing began.
I noticed the exact same thing when I was out yesterday. I was wondering the same thing.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have a long keelguard or something that is making it turbulant and air pockets behind it?

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I checked the bottom and nothing unusual. I have made no changes or additions within the last couple years

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine started doing that until it just quit working. Its a known issue with the factory transducer. Dealer is replacing mine under warranty when the part is available sometime in late July or early August

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine started doing that until it just quit working. Its a known issue with the factory transducer. Dealer is replacing mine under warranty when the part is available sometime in late July or early August
Hey, I see we have the same boat. My depth finder just stopped working too, it just flashes "0.0" regardless of anything. No error messages. Is that your issue, and if so your dealer says replace the transducer and thinks that will fix it? Thanks in advance!

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey, I see we have the same boat. My depth finder just stopped working too, it just flashes "0.0" regardless of anything. No error messages. Is that your issue, and if so your dealer says replace the transducer and thinks that will fix it? Thanks in advance!
Yep, the transducer is bad. Currently on order and will be fixed under the YES warranty