• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Destin, FL for the 4th?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
thinking about heading to Destin for the 4th (2~5th) was wondering if there are any other jetboaters that will be there as well. Mainly looking for tips and guidance around the shallow waters and maybe hit up some water front restaurants.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have to work that weekend but plan to be on the boat on the 4th and 5th. Crab Island will be jam packed on the 4th. Won't be quite as bad on the 5th. We usually hang around the north side, by the No Wake Zone. It's a little more tame.

Your Yamaha will have zero issues at Crab Island. Shallowest spots are along the southern part (closest to Destin Bridge). Also the busiest area.

Another good spot is to go into the Gulf, through the jetties, and turn west. We anchor up close to the jetties and snorkel around.

Few good water restaurants are Dewey Destin's Seafood, Boshamps, Harbor Docks and Tail Fins. Emerald Grande has some good eating spots too, but limited boat parking. We usually call ahead and just pick up food. Hear good things about the Boathouse Restaurant, but haven't eaten there in over 10 years.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thank you so much for your tips. This is exactly what I needed!

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
i wonder how busy the Destin Marina will be that day... last thing I want is to boat in an unfamiliar area in the dark...

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Destin Marina will be your closest boat launch. But I'd get there early. Earlier the better. Joe's Bayou Boat Launch on Beach Drive has more parking, however, it's not as close and a little further away. You'd need to get there just as early. Not hard to get to at all though. It's a 5-10 minute ride to/from Crab Island. You go out toward the deeper part of Choctawhatchee Bay. Only obstacle you would need to worry about is the channel to get into Joe's Bayou.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
i don't mind getting there early but having to stay out there for over 12 hrs may be tough...(to see the fireworks)

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Fireworks on the boat are totally worth it. But speaking from experience, I wouldn't get to the boat launch much later than 10am. It gets very congested after that. I'm referring to Joes Bayou, because I have the resident pass. I haven't used Destin Marina. Will be a mass exit after the fireworks too.

ElRowlando

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Probably not feasible if you are in the Crab Island area, but Helen Back pizza is some of the best pizza I've had. It's on Okaloosa island. You can take your boat up to it, or if you just wanna drive there, it's wonderful!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Probably not feasible if you are in the Crab Island area, but Helen Back pizza is some of the best pizza I've had. It's on Okaloosa island. You can take your boat up to it, or if you just wanna drive there, it's wonderful!
@ElRowlando is correct. Helen Back has fantastic pizza. They actually have a boat anchored at Crab Island that sells pizza and beer. Good luck making your way to it 4th of July weekend. Crowds tend to navigate to their boat. The restaurant on the water is on Okaloosa Island (Fort Walton Beach) Elrowlando was referring to. About 6 miles away. If you go that way, you should try Cafe Italia too. Right across the water from Helen Back. Excellent food but only a couple boat slips.

ElRowlando

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They had a Helen back in Panama City for a while then I deployed and they closed while I was gone! I was very upset

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Oh that sucks. Yeah not sure what they put in their pizza but it's very good. Probably crack. :)

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
how long of a ride would it be from fort walton to crab island? provided the speed of 30mph or so?

i just don't think launching in Destin is a good idea with all the folks trying to get out there on the 4th...

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@blacksapphirez you are looking at about 15 minutes. Easy as cake. Worst part will be other boat wakes.

And bring your patience, because there are TONS of people in town and traffic is horrible. Destin Log reporting a record breaking weekend.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hoping the bacteria will scare off some people lol

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Haha! True. And I hear it has, although that was a false report. No flesh eating bacteria, although there were some low quality testing recently. But we boated and swam for 2 days in the tested locations, before results were released, and have had zero issues.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@blacksapphirez are you out here? Saw a boat like yours navigating Crab Island. we are currently snorkeling Destin Bridge.

GOPR4761_1467655833938_high.JPG b

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I was. The current was too strong for my anchor so I had to circle around till my friends got back. Had a kid on the inflatable playground.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dang. Sorry to miss you. Yeah, current was pretty strong yesterday. Hope y'all enjoyed your stay.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length