• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Diagnosis Day

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you,

Yeah, I was thinking I'd put it back together and hit the lake tmw evening and see. I also disconnected the Ridesteady just in case that was locking up (although it was working for a 10 mph set point).

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you,

Yeah, I was thinking I'd put it back together and hit the lake tmw evening and see. I also disconnected the Ridesteady just in case that was locking up (although it was working for a 10 mph set point).
I think that the splines get out of sync somehow. I’m not mechanically inclined and those that are say that’s not possible, so I trust their opinion. I just know that taking it apart and putting it back together seems to work.🤷‍♂️

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like unplugging it and plugging it back in!

I think that the splines get out of sync somehow. I’m not mechanically inclined and those that are say that’s not possible, so I trust their opinion. I just know that taking it apart and putting it back together seems to work.🤷‍♂️

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The sealant on the pump sections was very thin, if I say so myself, so I did give the mating surfaces a good smear of Threebond on reassembly.

Last edited:

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK Jet Set, we're back in business. I don't know what I did, but last night we went out and were doing 30 mph at 6000 rpm. Lake was like glass and we were the only boat on the whole lake! I think that's about right for 2.5 people (big dog) at 6000 feet. So, whatever it was (and I think #sunbyrned 's explanation of the splines slipping is the best - I know, I know) it's fixed now. I need to hit up Impros for a new high altitude impeller.

Thanks as always for all the suggestions. Dog tax paid:

.IMG_0316.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@SantaFeTrailer love that the impeller reboot process worked for you!

Thanks for the dog pic!

As to the splines, next time one of you guys pulls their impeller for a reboot, snap a pic of the splines from both the side and from the end. It's really clear when a splined coupler "let's go". So if that's the case, we can work on a fix, remedy.

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a new shaft and the splines are perfect. No way they are slipping. It's just as good an answer as anything else (i.e., there was some crap in there that worked its way out before I opened up the pump, etc.)

@SantaFeTrailer love that the impeller reboot process worked for you!

Thanks for the dog pic!

As to the splines, next time one of you guys pulls their impeller for a reboot, snap a pic of the splines from both the side and from the end. It's really clear when a splined coupler "let's go". So if that's the case, we can work on a fix, remedy.

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
,Well, it happened again. 4800' elevation, 77' water temp. Worked great all morning. Out tubing, working fine, stopped and switched people on the tube and it fell back to a max of 12 mph at 6000 rpm. Later that day and the next day it worked well again. ARGH. I really don't want to take it to the nearest dealership (16 hours total driving there and back twice) with an intermittent problem they aren't going to be able to replicate.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
,Well, it happened again. 4800' elevation, 77' water temp. Worked great all morning. Out tubing, working fine, stopped and switched people on the tube and it fell back to a max of 12 mph at 6000 rpm. Later that day and the next day it worked well again. ARGH. I really don't want to take it to the nearest dealership (16 hours total driving there and back twice) with an intermittent problem they aren't going to be able to replicate.
When you switch tubers, do you turn the engines completely off? If not, just wondering if you’re sucking up stuff then.

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, always. Could be, but I have never found anything in it. I'll keep going out and see what happens.

When you switch tubers, do you turn the engines completely off? If not, just wondering if you’re sucking up stuff then.

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am still wide open to suggestions on this one. I've been talking through this with a few people and we are just flat out stumped.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
without talking to the ECU its gonna be a big challenge.... if its exactly 6000 RPM each time sounds to me like the ECU sees something it doesn't like and keeps the revs down...

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting. Yes, right at 6000.

without talking to the ECU its gonna be a big challenge.... if its exactly 6000 RPM each time sounds to me like the ECU sees something it doesn't like and keeps the revs down...

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the Candoo Pro and checked it out. It was throwing two codes for the Accelerator Position Sensor, so I went ahead and replaced that. I'll report back.

Oh, also actually showing that it tops out at 5800 RPM. Definitely going to put a repitched impeller on there, but that's a separate issue.

Interesting. Yes, right at 6000.

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With a new correctly adjusted APS and, perhaps more importantly, a 6CW impeller, we were able to get it up as far as 7100 this past weekend. That's on a 6200 foot lake, so not complaining. Maxed out around 35 MPH with 3 people, 3/4 tank and bimini out.

HOWEVER, at one point we had 7 people, 2 dogs, full tank, bimini out and couldn't get on plane just like has happened sometimes in the past. That caused a little lightbulb in my head to flicker and I am trying to think if the issue has always happened with a full load on board. I will check with SFTWife and see what she remembers.