• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Different product to clean vinyl seats

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you have any luck with this Thailand product?
Negative.
I would use Simple Green cleaner if must use a cleaner.
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant (not their cleaner which is crap) all the time, saturating the vinyl. I buy it by a gallon and use as much as 32oz, in one session, to go over the entire boat interior. Keeps it in good shape, and gets most stains and dirt off over time.

--

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. My cushions are starting to yellow in some corners, would Simple Green be the best for that? I'm going to start with 303 tomorrow!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. My cushions are starting to yellow in some corners, would Simple Green be the best for that? I'm going to start with 303 tomorrow!
Simple Green is just about the most effective cleaner I wouldn't be afraid to use on vinyl, but I don't know if anything without some sort of oxidizer would remove yellowing marks. Bleach/oxy will damage the seams though...

--

Hike

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, gearing up for boating season here and I still have this seat pinking issue. The pinkish staining is around the edges of my most occupied seats.

After scouring the internet, It seems the consensus is that this happens from spray on sun block that contains PABA. That ingredient (para-aminobenzoic acid), mixed with water and a food source creates a bacteria. When that bacteria dies it leaves a pink stain in the vinyl, known as pinking. This is apparently common on the east coast and in areas with high humidity.

I've heard of people having success with OXY10 acne cream and magic erasers.
The service tech at my Yamaha dealer said he's been using a 50/50 mix of bleach and water once a year since 2008 on his 230 with no problems. When I asked him about the stitching, he said that Yamaha uses nylon thread which the bleach doesn't effect. I'm not sure that I buy that. I also spoke with a marine vinyl shop and they suggested Tilex!

I will try a few things and let you know if I find a cure!

Attachments

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Magic Erasers are usually frowned upon on a lot of boat forums and social groups i read. They are an abrasive pad and apparently some threads do not like it and it accelerates deterioration. Lots of debates and info on it so feel free to search up.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, gearing up for boating season here and I still have this seat pinking issue. The pinkish staining is around the edges of my most occupied seats.

After scouring the internet, It seems the consensus is that this happens from spray on sun block that contains PABA. That ingredient (para-aminobenzoic acid), mixed with water and a food source creates a bacteria. When that bacteria dies it leaves a pink stain in the vinyl, known as pinking. This is apparently common on the east coast and in areas with high humidity.

I've heard of people having success with OXY10 acne cream and magic erasers.
The service tech at my Yamaha dealer said he's been using a 50/50 mix of bleach and water once a year since 2008 on his 230 with no problems. When I asked him about the stitching, he said that Yamaha uses nylon thread which the bleach doesn't effect. I'm not sure that I buy that. I also spoke with a marine vinyl shop and they suggested Tilex!

I will try a few things and let you know if I find a cure!

Check out this explanation: Pink Stains on Vinyl: A Problem | Ultra-Fresh Antimicrobial Additives.