• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Differing max rpms

jobu2k

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm - Honestly, btwn being excited about the engine running well again and then being freaked out about the plug, I forgot to check. I plan to when I'm on the water tomorrow.

@Billtex2000 - I don't know. I've been running all summer and not had a single issue. My only thought is that I rushed and wasn't concentrating when I put the cleanout plugs in and the starboard plug came unhooked.

I came up on plane fine and proceeded to go WOT and ran for about 3 minutes. On the way out of our river to go into the bay I have to take a sharpish turn. When I took that turn both engines shut off. Then I heard the bilge pump going continuously. I opened the engine hatch and sure enough there was a good bit of water in the bilge. I opened the cover over the plugs and noticed it was pushed up a little bit. I keep deflated footballs in the tubes above the plugs so the plug didn't smash through the cover, but I think when I made the turn enough pressure was created to push the football up into the cover and disengage the engine safety switches.

The plug itself had become lodged in the tube, but I happened to have a long-shanked flat-head screwdriver that I was able to smack a couple times and the plug became dislodged. I was then able to re-seat the plug. By the time I did this the bilge pump had finished its work. I made sure I tugged the plugs about 5 times and was able to head back in. I even went WOT, stopped the boat again and rechecked the plugs - they were fine.

I can only assume operator error and now have to consider if the EZ-lock is a good investment to help me prevent this happening again. I'll admit I needed to change my shorts when I got home... :(

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd definitely recommend the EZ-locks...been using them for years.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just picked up the EZ Locks as well. Not a bad solution to a potentially crippling failure. Fairly inexpensive and really easy to install. Now you can save the footballs for the beach!

BTW- Really glad Yamaha fixed this issue in 2017.

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to check mine I have the same problem let you know soon if it was the filter.