• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dim LED taillight on Shoreland'r trailer

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I've searched but haven't found any threads covering this issue.

On my 2017 Shoreland'r trailer, my right side taillight is a little weird. The running light works fine, but the brake/stop light and the turn signal are very dim. You can see the light getting brighter when signaling or depressing the brake pedal, but just ever so slightly. I've had 2 people flag me down to let me know it's out, but if you stare at it you can see it faintly getting brighter.

Any ideas on where I should start looking?

I've checked the 7 pin connection at the truck to make sure contacts are clean. And the trailer seems to be grounded properly. I'm thinking it might be a bad driver on the LED itself and I might just need to replace the light.

—Яiвs>

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Sound like a weak ground or power supply. I’d check the resistance on both wires from front to back. If that checks out then I would agree with a bad LED.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I'll check that this evening when I get in.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Spent quite a bit of time checking everything out and couldn't find anything wrong with the wiring or grounding.

When plugging the taillight back in I noticed that the contacts on the trailer side of the connector seemed pretty deep. So I measured the depth with a digital caliper and compared to the male end on the taillight side, 2,000 of an inch overlap. I shoved a piece of aluminum foil into the connector and plugged everything back in to check function and it all functions properly now. Apparently poor contact = a weak blinker and brake/stop light.

Looks like I'll be replacing a connector.