• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY - Ceramic: What is the importance of the % SiO2?

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've gone down the rabbit hole of ceramic (and graphene) coatings/sealers. Don't know if they will help for my particular situation (muck and grime from an urban river wet slip) so I want to start without breaking the bank. It just cost me $820 to have my hull cleaned with an acid bath after sitting on the water for 5 months last season. I will be doing periodic cleaning, I don't have other slip or lift options yada yada...

Ive read every ceramic thread on here and basically have all the common products on my short list. I understand prep is key.

Some products state the Sio2% (Adams), others don't (Hydrosilex)...should the be important? I assume there is snake oil in this space as well.

Permanent concentrate, Adams Advanced, 303 Marine (Graphene), CQuartz, Glidecoat all seem to be decent options...

Looking for experiences (many threads are old relative to this techs life) I am most interested in protection against dirt I believe they will all shine great for my standards.

Input would be appreciated.

I've gone down the rabbit hole of ceramic (and graphene) coatings/sealers. Don't know if they will help for my particular situation (muck and grime from an urban river wet slip) so I want to start without breaking the bank. It just cost me $820 to have my hull cleaned with an acid bath after sitting on the water for 5 months last season. I will be doing periodic cleaning, I don't have other slip or lift options yada yada...

Ive read every ceramic thread on here and basically have all the common products on my short list. I understand prep is key.

Some products state the Sio2% (Adams), others don't (Hydrosilex)...should the be important? I assume there is snake oil in this space as well.

Permanent concentrate, Adams Advanced, 303 Marine (Graphene), CQuartz, Glidecoat all seem to be decent options...

Looking for experiences (many threads are old relative to this techs life) I am most interested in protection against dirt I believe they will all shine great for my standards.

Input would be appreciated.
% of Si02 is everything. Most won't list it as it's a proprietary blend. However, that's generally what sets consumer grade coatings apart from professional coating is the % of Si02. All have a chemical cocktail of some sort including Si02. Generally to combat some of the downsides of ceramic coatings, hence why graphene came out as well as other things like silica carbide from cquartz. I'm a huge cquartz fan, however, I would recommend the 303 graphene. Great protection for the buck. Also ease of use. Nearly all of those will protect against dirt.

% of Si02 is everything. Most won't list it as it's a proprietary blend. However, that's generally what sets consumer grade coatings apart from professional coating is the % of Si02. All have a chemical cocktail of some sort including Si02. Generally to combat some of the downsides of ceramic coatings, hence why graphene came out as well as other things like silica carbide from cquartz. I'm a huge cquartz fan, however, I would recommend the 303 graphene. Great protection for the buck. Also ease of use. Nearly all of those will protect against dirt.

Thank you, really great response as I'm used to reading from you!

Back