• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do I start & run water out once on trailer?

Sonyavdz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm confused because I am getting mixed advice. Should I start and run for a few seconds after on trailer to run water out or not?

Last edited:

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes. Start each engine and rev it up a few times. Only takes about 10 seconds. It gets all the water out.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sonya's boat is a "1996 FW Horizon 190 w/OEM 351 & American Turbine jet".

I do so to blow the water out of the exhaust at the end of the year. I am not certain what would be appropriate for your boat. Perhaps try it and see what comes out. If you feel it is productive keep doing it.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
ohhh, I see that now.. sorry, I didn't notice or even look at what kind of boat,,, and I have no idea if you should do the same...

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
How does the water get in when you're in the water. Jet pressure like the yamahas or does it have a water pump with a rubber impeller? If it's a water pump, I wouldn't run it long. Not so good for the pump. Maybe that's why there are varying opinions.

Sonyavdz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Have an impellar I believe. I'm going to ask this question to Ron @ American Turbine and will let you all know what he says. My gut tells me I shouldn't be running out of water at all

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I run mine (and granted, it is a different engine, cooling, impeller--the lot), I only run it for about 3 seconds anyway. Start, rev, down, rev, down, off. Even for ceramic seals or things that must be cooled, I don't think that kind of blow out would do damage. And it gets a bunch of residual water out of the system, open or closed.

Just my rationale and preference. I would not criticize you at all if your gut led you a different direction!

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Only offering opinion here, which is not based on knowing anything about your boat... Nothing should be harmed by running anything for a few seconds out of water on any boat. If it were me, I'd put it on the trailer, drive it home and then crank it up for about 20 seconds, giving it one good rev. If a bunch of water shoots out the back, do it again and you should probably give it a couple good (quick) revs every time... you don't want water sitting in there for any length of time for any reason. If it doesn't dump out some water, they somehow designed it to drain everything and you wouldn't need to do this every time. If I had to bet, I'd expect you're going to get about half a gallon out if it's like most other jets.

Sonyavdz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well according to the experts on the jet drive I have it is OK to run my jet out of water AS LONG AS all the grease spots have been greased. If not could cause a lot of damage. But is not necessary so I am going to only run it if I feel it is necessary at some point. :)