• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DO NOT BUY YAMAHA FSH

Pcity1019

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
DO NOT BUY THIS BOAT!!! I purchased the FSH 190 when it first came out in 2016. Recently the main impeller bolt completely came off. This is in a sealed compartment that you would never check. It is not in your timed maintenance either. The bolt coming loose caused all of the impeller bearings to decentagrate. This put stress on the engine totaling it. To fix it will cost over $20,000 in parts and maintenance. Yamaha refuses to take responsibility and I still $30,000 on the boat. I am currently in a legal battle with them. I have had to pay for a lawyer and write endless letters to the BBB and top executives at Yamaha. It is disgusting how they have treated the whole ordeal. I think I should also add the boat had ONLY 80 HOURS ON IT. unless you enjoy getting completely screwed out of your money do not buy Yamaha. If you have one of these boats I suggest you sell it as soon as possible or you will be stuck with a 50,000 dollar bill.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Recently the main impeller bolt completely came off. This is in a sealed compartment that you would never check. It is not in your timed maintenance either.
That sucks! Very sorry, and I can sympathize! - dealing with Yamaha customer service, not always a pleasant experience indeed.

But your statement is, unfortunately, incorrect.

Every 100 hours or 12 months, whichever comes first:
(5 and 6)

Leaky O-ring and water intrusion in the pump (main) bearing is a know issue, and a part of the PM schedule.

--

Pcity1019

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That sucks! Very sorry, and I can sympathize! - dealing with Yamaha customer service, not always a pleasant experience indeed.

But your statement is, unfortunately, incorrect.

Every 100 hours or 12 months, whichever comes first:
(5 and 6)
View attachment 100675

Leaky O-ring and water intrusion in the pump (main) bearing is a know issue, and a part of the PM schedule.

--
Fair enough. I was not aware of this. Still I do not see how this could cause a reverse threaded bolt to come completely off.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fair enough. I was not aware of this. Still I do not see how this could cause a reverse threaded bolt to come completely off.
Sorry to hear of your problems. I'm hoping Yamaha will come forward to, at least, help you out. Once the lawyers get involved that's a little less likely but maybe they'll strike a deal to avoid court and bad press.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have pictures of the carnage? Usually the bearings just explode and races disintegrate... Someone posted a pic of that bolt nut "welded" to some other part by excessive heat.
It's terrible.

The only way to catch this early is to pull the cone and look for water intrusion, milky grease, etc. Putting it back together gives me hibbie-jbbies, it's not the best design, easy to pinch the o-ring. There were cases here with factory (OEM) or L13 cones with pinched o-ring doing the same thing your bearing did...

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm sorry this happened. It really sucks...
However..
The work would be $20,000 if all was done by a PhD engineer flown from Japan. You probably need an impeller and pump replacement, unless something very big also broke inside the boat. Should be much less. If you are careful and resourceful you may be able to do it for under $1000 if only the pump broke. Or If you want someone else to fix it, you can find a local Waverunner shop to help out.

Where are you? Can you share pictures of what's broken or the estimate with us?

For a boat a repair under a $1000 in 3 years is not too terrible, so you may not be in as bad a place as you think. Since the lawyers are involved it could be getting nasty and expensive quick, but If you are willing to throw a little money at it to try to resolve, and the damage is limited to the pump, you could be in the water in a week or two at the latest.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you had it serviced by a dealer you may have a shot at warranty coverage. Or in court - for breach of warranty by Yamaha. But it's going to be tough, especially if you have any dings on the impeller or wear ring, etc., which we all do.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
However..
The work would be $20,000 is all was done by a PhD engineer flown from Japan. You probably need an impeller and pump replacement, unless something very big also broke inside the boat. Should be much less. If you are careful and resourceful you may be able to do it for under $1000 if only the pump broke. Or If you want someone else to fix it, you can find a local Waverunner shop to help out.

For a boat a repair under a $1000 in 3 years is not too terrible, so you may not be in as bad a place as you think. Since the lawyers are involved it could be getting nasty and expensive quick, but If you are willing to throw a little money at it to try to resolve, and the damage is limited to the pump, you could be in the water in a week or two at the latest.
Not true, ask @AboveTheBest...

--

Pcity1019

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you. It is still in the early stages of it all. I am mainly getting a lawyer as a last ditch effort. The amount of money being considered is an average persons year salary. I don’t like taking chances when it comes to money.

Pcity1019

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
However..
The work would be $20,000 if all was done by a PhD engineer flown from Japan. You probably need an impeller and pump replacement, unless something very big also broke inside the boat. Should be much less. If you are careful and resourceful you may be able to do it for under $1000 if only the pump broke. Or If you want someone else to fix it, you can find a local Waverunner shop to help out.

The bearings broke causing resistance to the motor. Two cylinders failed pressure checks. I was advised that an engine replacement would be cheaper than to fix it. The impeller shaft plus all pump housing parts must be replaced due to the warping of the impeller and the grinding against the pump housing. I am currently in Savannah GA. I have only found one place even willing to work on the boat which was the dealer. If you have alternatives I am all ears.

Pcity1019

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That is what I found when I took off the housing.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not true, ask @AboveTheBest...

--
I briefly looked at his posting history and did not get the relevant portion. Could you share the one sentence cliff notes of his tragedy?

This is why I made the statement I made (and I hope I'm not wrong, but I'm open to it)

I have 2 spare pumps for my SX230 that I got as part of a parts purchase. It;s much older, but they were not very much used. I bought them before I needed them so there is that...

The empty pump housing alone is $250 (Part#8) in the diagram
2016 Yamaha 190 FSH (SH1800CR) Jet Unit 1 | Yamaha Sports Plaza

With luck some other parts are still useful... cost of Add bearings, oring and impeller... If the intermediate housing is OK, it's feasible for it to be under a grand still.

EDIT AFTER I Read your last post...
Did you confirm the alleged low pressure readings yourself? It's odd this "added"resistance would break the engine when there is a rubber dampener between the two.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have the boat? or they have it still? Don't do anything rash without talking to your lawyer fo course, but you at least need an independent compression check with that pump off the boat.

Pcity1019

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had claimed insurance at first because I believed I had hit something (sucked something into the pump). They had their engineers look into it and stated that the cause was from the impeller bolt coming off. I could be wrong but I believe lock tight should have been used on that bolt which there was none. I did not view the compression test myself but when I turned the boat in it did run (rough at that). If there is a reasonable way to fix the boat then I am all for it but I find it hard to believe that a boat with 80 hours on it can be totaled without some fault. In this case the dealer as well as insurance states it’s a manufacturing issue.

Pcity1019

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you have the boat? or they have it still? Don't do anything rash without talking to your lawyer fo course, but you at least need an independent compression check with that pump off the boat.
The dealership still has the boat. They did the diagnostics which I have to pay for and then I will pick it up.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, that sucks. I would have expected the motor to not do that! I hope the OP is not on the same boat. Maybe we need a weaker link between the pump and the motor. If the motor is OK is not a bad repair to the pump components, but if the motor is broke, it gets very expensive very soon.

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Did you happen to notice a rattle sound while at idle? I’ve been noticing a metal rattle sound, but only at idle. At higher rpm’s it goes away. Just wondering if this could be a sign of impending failure? I need to take my FSH190 in to have the dealer look at it. I have 150hrs and never knew about the “impeller duct” problem or preventative maintenance on it till seeing this thread.

Pcity1019

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you happen to notice a rattle sound while at idle? I’ve been noticing a metal rattle sound, but only at idle. At higher rpm’s it goes away. Just wondering if this could be a sign of impending failure? I need to take my FSH190 in to have the dealer look at it. I have 150hrs and never knew about the “impeller duct” problem or preventative maintenance on it till seeing this thread.
Yes. That is the beginning. It will get louder and ultimately ruin the boat. Do not start it again. Most likely your pump housing is already ruined so you are looking at a couple grand. If you continue to run the boat it will ultimately be totaled.