• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you disconnect your battery before charging it with a Battery Tender?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a Battery Tender and I'd like to use it from time to time to top-up the boat batteries. Just wondering if it is necessary to disconnect the batteries from the boat electronics prior to hooking up the Battery Tender and starting a charge cycle.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have always separated while charging. Typically you'll have a battery switch that isolates the electronics from the battery when it's in the off position.

Not a big deal if you don't have a battery switch. Just make sure that your battery tender/charger is SMART. By that I mean that it needs to have the newer tech built into it that senses the batteries charge state and will not over charge the cells.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same here. I just turn off the battery switches while charging.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Guest 16202 charger is worth every penny. I hook it up once at the beginning of the season when I put the batteries in, and simply plug it in every time I get back from an outing. It charges the batteries quickly and keeps them maintained.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just bought a Battery Tender and I'd like to use it from time to time to top-up the boat batteries. Just wondering if it is necessary to disconnect the batteries from the boat electronics prior to hooking up the Battery Tender and starting a charge cycle.
Nope... I've been charging many vehicles with Battery Tenders and other trickle-type chargers for years without disconnecting. On some motorcycles, it's nearly impossible to even get to the battery, so disconnecting wasn't an option. We had a Jeep who's brain was always "on" in storage for a year on a tender while connected. It's battery lasted at least 6 years (then we sold it). If I had a disconnect switch, I'd use it when charging just because I could, but I wouldn't unscrew cables every time. Neither of my boats has a disconnect (yet) and they're on trickle chargers any time they aren't on the water.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I turn the battery switch to off as a habit whether charging or not just to eliminate the possibility of leaving something on and draining the battery.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
No need to disconnect the batteries. If you have a battery switch, turn it off, if not, don't worry about it. A word of caution, if you run the battery down playing music or with lights for hours, the charging system on the boat will not bring the battery back up sufficiently in a short boat ride. And...a small Battery tender won't "charge" the battery with enough amperage to exercise or desulfate the battery effectively. The small 1.25 amp battery tenders are just maintainers, not chargers, but they can charge at that very reduced rate. On average, batteries can only absorb about 10 amps per hour, so even a 20 amp charger will only charge the average lead acid battery at a rate of 10 amps. But a slow trickle charger could take a week to bring even a mildly discharged battery to full charge. So if you have any added equipment that puts a drain on your battery, you may want to consider a smart charger that can exercise the battery more effectively, otherwise the tender is fine!