• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

do you ever use a life jacket or arm floats or swim vests when swimming, in lakes, rivers, pools, while boating or fishing, yes or no

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a life jacket or no swim policy. I may be lame. But those are my rules. We use exclusively the Costco ones linked above for the whole family

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I loved mine when I was on ski.
I like the side entry vs zipper and buckles in the middle

Looper7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a life jacket or no swim policy. I may be lame. But those are my rules. We use exclusively the Costco ones linked above for the whole family
We have the same rule and the the younger grand kids have them on before we put the boat in the water

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes.

It doesn’t seem appropriate to ask for simple answer to a complex/multipart question. So I will elaborate, on the boat, skis or where I’m the camping host every minor where’s a vest. On the boat all minors and adults that admit they can’t swim. On the waverunners, everyone. At the pool, not my call, I don’t have a pool but would wear one anyway if I would not be the only adult doing so because they act like spanks and like I’ve got a lot more muscle than I actually do.

I don’t go economy on “life preservers” and have been upgrading every year so now all of our vests are neoprene and most have zippers as well as buckles. We even have two float coats, basically a life vest built into a snow coat. Don’t get fooled by the good looks and comfort of a competition vest, vests need to have at least two Buckles to be coastguard compliant. You need a coast guard compliant vest for everyone onboard to avoid that ticket.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have more PFD's than I have gear I think in the boat. Never know how many is coming. I am sure I can keep the whole boat afloat.

I have 4 yellow Type III's and a throwable cushion tied to a red rope. These came with the boat. Then I bought 4 water vests from Dunhams for water sports for others on the boat. I have 3 Neoprene nicer vests for us. Finally I have 2 Mustang MIT100 Auto Inflatables and 2 Auto Inflatables from West Marine. I also have the throw bag with rope. Everything I have is Coast Guard Approved. I also go for bright obnoxious colors when I can so it is easier to see someone in the water.

Rules in my boat are as follows.
1) If you can't swim you will always have a vest on while in my boat on the water or in the water while I am captain and responsible for you, or don't come. Any young children will always have a proper approved vest on.
2) While underway over no wake speed you will have a vest on. That is why I have the comfortable auto inflatables for the family and other vests for everyone else. Even on lakes when we are tubing a rogue wake boat wave can sneak up on you fast and you can get tossed around pretty hard, in the boat.
3) If you are doing watersports you will have a vest on and it will fit correctly and snug.
4) If we are swimming in anything deeper than 5 feet or I can't see the bottom with good visibility and it is shallower because it is stirred up, you will have a vest on, but you must be able to stand or vest goes on.
5) If we are drifting and there is chop and a lot of boat traffic you will have a vest on.

When you first come on my boat I go over what I expect and where the PFD's and emergency throwables are to you. That way we are on the same page.

I have been told I am too militant, but, I want to bring everyone back safe if I can.

It is now routine with everyone. They put them on and take them off as if second nature.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Very important --->PFD'S also require proper fit. I make everyone on my boat try one on and adjust it to them according to weight and chest size. A great test is strap snuggly then have the wearer put their arms straight up - you should NOT be able to lift the PFD by the shoulders off of the individual. With smaller kids you should be able to lift them off the ground by the shoulders of the PFD without slipping it off. Remember, you may not have time to do this in an emergency.