• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Boat FSH 210 or 255?

Bigdaddyrawk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Greetings guys, been a lurker for a little while, figured it was time to join the conversation. I'm looking to get my families first boat and love the look of center consoles and also love the look of jetboats with no outboards to worry about. the FSH line seems to check basically every box, may not be the "best" at any one thing, but seems to do almost every type of boating well for its size. Anyway, I've done a little boating/jet skiing as a kid, always loved it, and now that my youngest is 3 it seems like a great time to start the boating family memories. I was just up in Seneca Lake and told my wife i think we really need to get a boat, she agreed, but asked that we wait until next year, which is probably fine being there seems to be nothing but backorders lol. I'm looking for something that can do a nice mix of cruising/fishing/tubing, probably equal in use. I also would mainly use it in lakes, but my parents have a house right outside of cape may, so i would like to be able to put it in there. Towing shouldn't be an issue, i need a new truck, but i have an older duramax diesel 2500, trailer length shouldn't scare me either, i've been towing landscaping and farm trailers most of my life. So here's the big question, would an FSH 210 / 255 make a good first boat, and if so, which one? Is the 255 really that much more boat for the price jump? The 210 is probably more than enough for the lakes i'd take it to( im in PA about 1/2 a mile from Blue Marsh Lake), but will i wish i got the 255 when i take it to cape may, or down the road get bold and maybe meet up with you guys in Florida? Any input is appreciated pro or con, and thanks for having such a vibrant form "Community" here, a new guy can really learn a lot just browsing year old threads.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My .02 cent, unless youre an avid offshore fisherman, go with the 210. I love mine more than I can put into words. Now if you can afford it and want it, and don't really care, get the 255!

ididntdoit

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like the 252/255 just for the fuel capacity/range - if saltwater use was primary I would 100% go that way - If your going to be staying close to the coast when in saltwater and be in freshwater 80-90% I would imagine the 210 would suite you fine

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The two biggest questions are how much off shore use will it get and how much disposable income do you have?

The 255 has the bigger motors and will use more fuel and will be heavier to tow, so more fuel consumption to tow.

I have a 210 FSH Sport with a family of 4 and we almost always have 6 + on board w/ friends tagging along and we have plenty of room. We boat on fresh water lakes in Colorado, with no plans to take it offshore.

We tube and wakeboard with no problems and it is GREAT for fishing. We don't surf, but I have seen others who do (with added mods). The 255 would offer more room and probably a better wake for surfing, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of this. My family has been very happy w/ the 210.

MajorBummer210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How big is your family and are you going to be entertaining friends a good amount? Get the 255 to grow into.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yo Big Daddy,

Glad to have you out of the shadows and join us!!

We had a boat when I was young, between the ages of 7-10, a small cabin cruiser. I had wanted to get a boat for about 6 years before I got my 210 FSH Sport last July, and like @mkbcaptain I love my boat more than I thought I would. So let me take you on a quick trip down my boat buying journey.. nothing too ground breaking here, but it is my journey.

About 3 years before I retired I was on the freeway in rush hour traffic and came up next to a nice boat with twin outboards and thought, when I retire I’m going to get a boat, that was probably 2015.

Fast forward to 2020 and my friend who I hunt with had bought a Yamaha bow rider and wake boards a lot and had told me about how bitchen his boat is. So I started checking into the Yamaha’s, at this point I’m still thinking of a boat with an outboard, and saw how totally bitchen these boats are. My friend who used to have his own marine repair/modification business and who also was a professional off shore game fisher looked at the Yamaha boats and immediately took to the FSH series of boats. He was really keen on the 190 FSH S;port, his adage is get the smallest boat that will do the job. He and I bandied it about for a while and I really wanted the 210 with it’s two sided bow seating for more storage and more seating for guests. I do 99% of my boating by myself, so that also played into the mix-keep in mind the 252/255 was not available at this time. I watched the boating magazine review on the 210, then watched boat test .com review on the 210 and I was sold on the 210. In 5-6 months of use I have put 80 hours on the engines and spent a minimum of 400 hours on the boat, and am probably going to add at least another 100 hours on the engines this summer.

Okay, here are some basic questions my friend asked me about buying a boat.
1-What are you going to use the boat for. This is for type and size.
2-How often are you going to use the boat. Justification for purchasing a boat as opposed to renting one.
3-How many people are going to be going out on the boat. Be realistic here, some people have stars in their eyes and end up with way more boat than what they need, that whole smallest to get the job done thing.
4-And of course what is your budget. The more you use the boat the more the bigger budget is reasonable.

So, how big is your family? Is there a plan to make the family bigger? Extended family? I‘m also not a person who looks at vehicle purchases with resale in mind, I buy a vehicle that will suit the purpose of what I want to do with it. A vehicle purchase is a bad financial investment, but an out of this world fun investment and memory maker.

Fun fact: Most people think the FSH stands for fish since it’s a center console, but it really stands for Family Sport Hybrid.

I see that @bolivas just made an excellent post regarding size and people on board as well as the budget aspect!

1-I don’t know how big your local lake is… a 252/255 could make a big statement on a small lake, where the 210 might be a better fit…… but, it sounds like you have ocean going opportunities as well. Now here is a good safety point for a young family, both the 210 and the 252/255 have pretty tall gunnels, with the 252/255 being considerably taller gunwales. If you look at the pics you will see the 210 has two under the gunnel horizontal rod holders, while the 252/255 has four on each side. While not twice as tall, the 252/255 gunwales has much taller gunwales. Important for keeping the kids on board as well as the adults. Now the 210 is a capable boat for going off shore as well, but where the 210 will be challenged, the 252/255 will do better due to it off shore specific hull. Both the 210 and the 252/255 have 20* dead rise at the stern, but the 252/255 is longer and about 1850# heavier than the 210. So for off shore or bigger water use the 210 can do it, but the 252/255 could probably do it better. I highly recommend going to a dealer and walking around on both the 210 and the 252/255 to get a good feel for size.

The uses you listed are pretty much the epitome of a family boat… the 210 has a carry on ice chest and a pretty good size insulated fish box that can be used as an ice chest, and the 26 gallon live well is good for putting your fish/bait in as well as a bag of ice and lot of bottles of water which is what I have used mine for when just going out for a cruise. So that’s a total of three ice boxes on board. The 252/255 has the carry on cooler, plus a larger insulated fish box, plus two live wells that can be used for fish / bait or for more cooler space for a total of 4 on board coolers if needed. So either boat has plenty of available cooler space for a very long day on the lake or beyond the break wall.

Both have a center console storage compartment that can be used for storage, changing room, or a head with the addition of a porta potty.

As @bolivas mentioned, you can use it for tubing, wake boarding, and the are fishing machines. The great thing about a center console is that everyone can move around freely and the center console is always there for a handhold.

2-The more you use the boat the more it is worth having it be just what you want.

3-The rated persons load on a 210 is 10, and the rated persons on the 252/255 is 12. The load capacity on a 210 is 2250#, with 1860# of people as part of the total of 2250#. The 252/255 load capacity is 2700#, and I have not been able to find out how much of that total cargo can be people. The people load is less than the total cargo weight which includes people. All that to say how many people are you going to want to take out on the boat on a regular basis? Will you have help launching and retrieving? I can launch and retrieve my 210 by myself in all conditions, the 252/255 witch its extra ton of weight could make that a bit harder but I bet It would still be manageable.

4-Budget. If you have the money then the $82,000 price tag of the 252/255 is affordable, more affordable is the 210s $48,000 price tag. The 252/255 comes with Simrad GO12 so you have a fish finder and gps plotter and a plethora of other uses, where you will have to add this device to the 210, my 210 was $60,000 by the time I added a trolling motor, Humminbird fish finder and the 5 year extended Yamaha warranty. The 252/255‘s hard top and lighting is pretty nice as well. Fuel usage. My 210 is pretty thrifty on gas, roughly 17 gallons per hour at wide open throttle (WOT) and will cruise along with two people at sea level around 44 mph with a range of 117 miles, at best cruise 8 gallons per hour 28 mph with a range of 155 miles on it’s 52 gallon tank. The 255 FSH Sport E uses 44 gallons per hour at WOT and 57 mph with a range of 130 miles, best cruise is 31mph and a range of 211 miles on it’s 111 gallon tank. The fuel usage will be considerably less with the 252’s non supercharged 1.8 L engines. Speaking of which, the 252 has a manual throttle and manual shifting, while the 255 has electronic throttle and electronic shifting. One thing I really like about my 210’s manual throttle and shifting is that thrust adjustability is infinite, meaning I’m able to troll at just about any speed I want from .2 mph to 5 mph by adjusting the buckets to whatever opening I need, this is very handy for trolling. The 255 may not be able to do that as I think when fwd is selected it’s going fwd.. if that makes sense. Storage: The 210 T top breaks down into three pieces and the windscreen comes right off for storage in a garage. The 255‘s T top doesn’t appear to break down.

Sorry if I rambled on a bit there, just throwing out some things to consider. If the 252/255

Here’s some links if you have not seen them already.

210 FSH Sport:

255 Sport E:

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Very good and detailed post @FSH 210 Sport !

@Bigdaddyrawk , I just don't know that the juice is worth the squeeze for an extra 3' 3" and 28 gallons of storage unless you have a specific need for the 255. Each of us has our own needs in a boat so you have to decide what is best for your situation.

About the only thing that stands out and is appealing to me is the larger seating on the swim deck. The 210 does not have a great option for rear facing seating for the spotter when towing tubes or wakeboarders. My wife manages by sitting sideways on the rear jump seat on the starboard side above the small storage compartment. We don't even use the other rear jump seat on the port side above the battery compartment. We use that as the walking path to access the swim deck. I keep the seat cushion and backrest stowed in case it is needed, but it has only been use a couple of times as there is plenty of seating (x6) in the bow/CC bench seating area.

Both models have failed in the engineering department by not providing an elevated tow point off the rear of the T-top..... :devilhorns: Maybe next year's model...... :rolleyes:

Feel free to reach out w/ any other questions and good luck on the search. :winkingthumbsup"

1622843346130.png
1622843357651.png

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

@Bigdaddyrawk , I just don't know that the juice is worth the squeeze for an extra 3' 3" and 28 gallons of storage unless you have a specific need for the 255. Each of us has our own needs in a boat so you have to decide what is best for your situation.

About the only thing that stands out and is appealing to me is the larger seating on the swim deck. The 210 does not have a great option for rear facing seating for the spotter when towing tubes or wakeboarders. My wife manages by sitting sideways on the rear jump seat on the starboard side above the small storage compartment. We don't even use the other rear jump seat on the port side above the battery compartment. We use that as the walking path to access the swim deck. I keep the seat cushion and backrest stowed in case it is needed, but it has only been use a couple of times as there is plenty of seating (x6) in the bow/CC bench seating area.

Both models have failed in the engineering department by not providing an elevated tow point off the rear of the T-top..... :devilhorns: Maybe next year's model...... :rolleyes:

Feel free to reach out w/ any other questions and good luck on the search. :winkingthumbsup"

View attachment 152373
View attachment 152374
You know, I hadn’t noticed that before, the 210 has 28 more gallons of storage. Must be the port storage pod on the 255 is the aquarium live well. The aquarium live well can still be used for storage though.

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
the 255 is a lot of boat to tow around. I would have chosen the 255 if I could just leave at a marina. I chose the 195 over the 210 because it actually has more horsepower and was 10k cheaper and actually available. I think if I went with a 210 it never would have come in. I am hoping the 210 will eventually come with more horsepower or they come out with a 23. For now the 195 is plenty of boat for our use. We use at Raystown Lake in PA and the ICW and near shore in NC.

There are times when we get in really shallow water and wished we had the outboard with jack plate but you just have to know where you can and can't go with the 195. It wasn't really that safe going in 8-10" of water and barely having the prop in. I try to stay at 3' minimum with the 195 and if it gets to shallow just shut it down.

Bigdaddyrawk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
My .02 cent, unless youre an avid offshore fisherman, go with the 210. I love mine more than I can put into words. Now if you can afford it and want it, and don't really care, get the 255!
Thanks for the reply. I def wouldn't put myself in the avid offshore fisherman group, but i was more so thinking of the added capability of a bigger boat for when i do take it to cape may. Cost is always a concern, but I'm thinking of what boat I want for the next 10 years, paying a little more now and "growing into it", or buying more boat than I'd ever use and just cost more upfront, more to tow, more to use, lol, glad the wife gave me a few months to figure it out.

I like the 252/255 just for the fuel capacity/range - if saltwater use was primary I would 100% go that way - If your going to be staying close to the coast when in saltwater and be in freshwater 80-90% I would imagine the 210 would suite you fine
Thanks for the reply. To be honest I hadn't thought much of the 252 mainly due to the lack of reviews/videos but with these replys it's def rising on my list. I dont really need a speed demon, 40-45mph top is more than enough, the lower fuel usage and increased range def make it appealing. For now I would think it would be 70% fresh 30% salt, a few years down the road though with the kids getting bigger and a few other friends getting shore houses I could see it being 50%-50%.

The two biggest questions are how much off shore use will it get and how much disposable income do you have?

The 255 has the bigger motors and will use more fuel and will be heavier to tow, so more fuel consumption to tow.

I have a 210 FSH Sport with a family of 4 and we almost always have 6 + on board w/ friends tagging along and we have plenty of room. We boat on fresh water lakes in Colorado, with no plans to take it offshore.

We tube and wakeboard with no problems and it is GREAT for fishing. We don't surf, but I have seen others who do (with added mods). The 255 would offer more room and probably a better wake for surfing, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of this. My family has been very happy w/ the 210.
Thanks for the reply. off shore use to start will probably be 30% of the time to start but could grow to 50% in a few years. Cost is always a concern, but I should be able to swing either, just dont want to buy too much boat and never use it, or not enough and want to trade up in a year.

all the comments about the 255 motors made me really start thinking the 252 is closer to the top of my list, not as efficient as the 210 i know, but will def do better than the 255.

I also have a family of 4 and could see just us 4 being on the boat maybe half the time, mainly because we live about 1/2 a mile from a 1200acre lake, thinking a few boating evenings after work will be in order lol. That said I live within 20 minutes of my inlaws, my parents, 2 brothers families, and my brotherinlaw, so if it was a all day thing id imagine always having other people onboard, 6-10 seems realistic.

How big is your family and are you going to be entertaining friends a good amount? Get the 255 to grow into.
Thanks for the reply. I have a family of 4, but def see most all day outings having friends and family aboard, I live close to a lot of family and would be the only boat owner lol. I am really liking the grow into it mindset, adding the 252 back into the maybe list.

Yo Big Daddy,

Glad to have you out of the shadows and join us!!

We had a boat when I was young, between the ages of 7-10, a small cabin cruiser. I had wanted to get a boat for about 6 years before I got my 210 FSH Sport last July, and like @mkbcaptain I love my boat more than I thought I would. So let me take you on a quick trip down my boat buying journey.. nothing too ground breaking here, but it is my journey.

About 3 years before I retired I was on the freeway in rush hour traffic and came up next to a nice boat with twin outboards and thought, when I retire I’m going to get a boat, that was probably 2015.

Fast forward to 2020 and my friend who I hunt with had bought a Yamaha bow rider and wake boards a lot and had told me about how bitchen his boat is. So I started checking into the Yamaha’s, at this point I’m still thinking of a boat with an outboard, and saw how totally bitchen these boats are. My friend who used to have his own marine repair/modification business and who also was a professional off shore game fisher looked at the Yamaha boats and immediately took to the FSH series of boats. He was really keen on the 190 FSH S;port, his adage is get the smallest boat that will do the job. He and I bandied it about for a while and I really wanted the 210 with it’s two sided bow seating for more storage and more seating for guests. I do 99% of my boating by myself, so that also played into the mix-keep in mind the 252/255 was not available at this time. I watched the boating magazine review on the 210, then watched boat test .com review on the 210 and I was sold on the 210. In 5-6 months of use I have put 80 hours on the engines and spent a minimum of 400 hours on the boat, and am probably going to add at least another 100 hours on the engines this summer.

Okay, here are some basic questions my friend asked me about buying a boat.
1-What are you going to use the boat for. This is for type and size.
2-How often are you going to use the boat. Justification for purchasing a boat as opposed to renting one.
3-How many people are going to be going out on the boat. Be realistic here, some people have stars in their eyes and end up with way more boat than what they need, that whole smallest to get the job done thing.
4-And of course what is your budget. The more you use the boat the more the bigger budget is reasonable.

So, how big is your family? Is there a plan to make the family bigger? Extended family? I‘m also not a person who looks at vehicle purchases with resale in mind, I buy a vehicle that will suit the purpose of what I want to do with it. A vehicle purchase is a bad financial investment, but an out of this world fun investment and memory maker.

Fun fact: Most people think the FSH stands for fish since it’s a center console, but it really stands for Family Sport Hybrid.

I see that @bolivas just made an excellent post regarding size and people on board as well as the budget aspect!

1-I don’t know how big your local lake is… a 252/255 could make a big statement on a small lake, where the 210 might be a better fit…… but, it sounds like you have ocean going opportunities as well. Now here is a good safety point for a young family, both the 210 and the 252/255 have pretty tall gunnels, with the 252/255 being considerably taller gunwales. If you look at the pics you will see the 210 has two under the gunnel horizontal rod holders, while the 252/255 has four on each side. While not twice as tall, the 252/255 gunwales has much taller gunwales. Important for keeping the kids on board as well as the adults. Now the 210 is a capable boat for going off shore as well, but where the 210 will be challenged, the 252/255 will do better due to it off shore specific hull. Both the 210 and the 252/255 have 20* dead rise at the stern, but the 252/255 is longer and about 1850# heavier than the 210. So for off shore or bigger water use the 210 can do it, but the 252/255 could probably do it better. I highly recommend going to a dealer and walking around on both the 210 and the 252/255 to get a good feel for size.

The uses you listed are pretty much the epitome of a family boat… the 210 has a carry on ice chest and a pretty good size insulated fish box that can be used as an ice chest, and the 26 gallon live well is good for putting your fish/bait in as well as a bag of ice and lot of bottles of water which is what I have used mine for when just going out for a cruise. So that’s a total of three ice boxes on board. The 252/255 has the carry on cooler, plus a larger insulated fish box, plus two live wells that can be used for fish / bait or for more cooler space for a total of 4 on board coolers if needed. So either boat has plenty of available cooler space for a very long day on the lake or beyond the break wall.

Both have a center console storage compartment that can be used for storage, changing room, or a head with the addition of a porta potty.

As @bolivas mentioned, you can use it for tubing, wake boarding, and the are fishing machines. The great thing about a center console is that everyone can move around freely and the center console is always there for a handhold.

2-The more you use the boat the more it is worth having it be just what you want.

3-The rated persons load on a 210 is 10, and the rated persons on the 252/255 is 12. The load capacity on a 210 is 2250#, with 1860# of people as part of the total of 2250#. The 252/255 load capacity is 2700#, and I have not been able to find out how much of that total cargo can be people. The people load is less than the total cargo weight which includes people. All that to say how many people are you going to want to take out on the boat on a regular basis? Will you have help launching and retrieving? I can launch and retrieve my 210 by myself in all conditions, the 252/255 witch its extra ton of weight could make that a bit harder but I bet It would still be manageable.

4-Budget. If you have the money then the $82,000 price tag of the 252/255 is affordable, more affordable is the 210s $48,000 price tag. The 252/255 comes with Simrad GO12 so you have a fish finder and gps plotter and a plethora of other uses, where you will have to add this device to the 210, my 210 was $60,000 by the time I added a trolling motor, Humminbird fish finder and the 5 year extended Yamaha warranty. The 252/255‘s hard top and lighting is pretty nice as well. Fuel usage. My 210 is pretty thrifty on gas, roughly 17 gallons per hour at wide open throttle (WOT) and will cruise along with two people at sea level around 44 mph with a range of 117 miles, at best cruise 8 gallons per hour 28 mph with a range of 155 miles on it’s 52 gallon tank. The 255 FSH Sport E uses 44 gallons per hour at WOT and 57 mph with a range of 130 miles, best cruise is 31mph and a range of 211 miles on it’s 111 gallon tank. The fuel usage will be considerably less with the 252’s non supercharged 1.8 L engines. Speaking of which, the 252 has a manual throttle and manual shifting, while the 255 has electronic throttle and electronic shifting. One thing I really like about my 210’s manual throttle and shifting is that thrust adjustability is infinite, meaning I’m able to troll at just about any speed I want from .2 mph to 5 mph by adjusting the buckets to whatever opening I need, this is very handy for trolling. The 255 may not be able to do that as I think when fwd is selected it’s going fwd.. if that makes sense. Storage: The 210 T top breaks down into three pieces and the windscreen comes right off for storage in a garage. The 255‘s T top doesn’t appear to break down.

Sorry if I rambled on a bit there, just throwing out some things to consider. If the 252/255

Here’s some links if you have not seen them already.

210 FSH Sport:

255 Sport E:

Big thanks for the reply, a ton of great info. I wasn't around boats a great deal as a kid, my grandfather had one I was on a few times each summer, and my family would camp at Raystown lake every summer and usually rent a pontoon boat for a few days. I have rented a waverunner a dozen times and a 19ft yamaha while in florida with friends a few years ago. Looking back I enjoyed all of those experiences and always thought "im going to get a boat some day". The past few years going to my parents house in Cape May and just doing the basics while still having a son in diapers shopping, beaches, wineries....thinking there should be something more exciting to do. Seeing my oldest daughter already start kindergarten kinda hit home though, they wont be around forever and getting a boat now vs 5-10 years from now would make a lot more memories, as sappy as it sounds.

I get what your friend is saying, smallest boat that does what you need it to do, save money, time, headaches in towing. All that said, I see a lot of other threads of guys that went too small and upgrade in 2-3 years.

again, def see what your saying, how much will i really use it, my dad already said i should just rent one....keep in mind he owns several cars he rarly drives and a house in cape may my brothers and I use more than my dad and mom lol. Being so close to a lake, right now i think i'll use it alot, def could not be the case though. My wife is also into tent camping, we used to do it a lot before kids and now that the kids are basically potty trained we started doing it again...long story short, it turns out most of our favorite camping areas are next to a lake, great thing about PA, lakes everywhere, I would def be bringing the boat.

How many people, I honestly right now cant see it ever being just me, but me and just my daughter? maybe, probably moreso the 4 of us, but living close to friends and family for day trips i could easily have it be 6-10...could be 20 if i really wanted it to be and had the boat space lol. I would def want it to not fell cramped with 8, which is why i love the center console design. I have a few friends that have 2 kids and would want down the road to be able to take my family and one of theres out for a day on the lake.

Budget is always a concern, I can swing the cost, but do i really want to, and the running cost is the most interesting part you bring up, it really makes me think more about the 252, gets the size, cheaper than the 255 and the main difference, engines, i probably wouldnt use much anyway, im sure my wife will think 40-45 is plenty fast lol. Didnt know about the electronic vs manual throttle, def going to look into that.

Def need to go over all your links, thanks for the informative well thought out response.

View attachment 152373
View attachment 152374
Thanks for the reply. That's kinda where I'm at as well, def need to walk around both, all these replys really got me thinking more about the 252, i do like the extra length and larger swim deck, but yea, the big engines are probably not needed, 252 may be a nice middle of the road, just wasnt sure there was enough of a price difference between the 252/255, but the big difference in fuel consumption may be where the savings really are, not sure id really use the 45+ top end in the 255 much anyway.

yea, surprised they didnt give a tow hook from the roof, saw it mentioned in a lot of threads and review videos.

I'll def be reaching out with more questions between now and when i throw the money down on one, thanks again.

the 255 is a lot of boat to tow around. I would have chosen the 255 if I could just leave at a marina. I chose the 195 over the 210 because it actually has more horsepower and was 10k cheaper and actually available. I think if I went with a 210 it never would have come in. I am hoping the 210 will eventually come with more horsepower or they come out with a 23. For now the 195 is plenty of boat for our use. We use at Raystown Lake in PA and the ICW and near shore in NC.

There are times when we get in really shallow water and wished we had the outboard with jack plate but you just have to know where you can and can't go with the 195. It wasn't really that safe going in 8-10" of water and barely having the prop in. I try to stay at 3' minimum with the 195 and if it gets to shallow just shut it down.
It is a lot of boat, especially for a first boat, which is part of my hesitation. I'm not afraid to tow it, I tow larger tri axle landscape trailers almost weekly, but i know towing is only a small part of actually launching the boat, and beyond the towing part, it would all be new to me.

I def wouldnt think of leaving it docked beyond the week I'm on vacation somewhere, I love the apeal of the beam and weight of the FSH yamahas vs the competators for towing. I know NY/NJ are 8' width limits, but i'm going to try squeak by staying ~8'6" for most other states.

I love raystown, been there camping a ton of times as a kid, dad usually rented a pontoon for the week.

210 is probably the smallest id go, i do get the apeal of the 195 though, especially if its just going to be 2-6 people max for most trips, I just think for me i'm going to be pushing 8 a lot of times, I also know the wife will want a little more boat for cape may.

Thanks again for all the replys guys, def gave me a lot to research.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I def wouldn't put myself in the avid offshore fisherman group, but i was more so thinking of the added capability of a bigger boat for when i do take it to cape may. Cost is always a concern, but I'm thinking of what boat I want for the next 10 years, paying a little more now and "growing into it", or buying more boat than I'd ever use and just cost more upfront, more to tow, more to use, lol, glad the wife gave me a few months to figure it out.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I hadn't thought much of the 252 mainly due to the lack of reviews/videos but with these replys it's def rising on my list. I dont really need a speed demon, 40-45mph top is more than enough, the lower fuel usage and increased range def make it appealing. For now I would think it would be 70% fresh 30% salt, a few years down the road though with the kids getting bigger and a few other friends getting shore houses I could see it being 50%-50%.

Thanks for the reply. off shore use to start will probably be 30% of the time to start but could grow to 50% in a few years. Cost is always a concern, but I should be able to swing either, just dont want to buy too much boat and never use it, or not enough and want to trade up in a year.

all the comments about the 255 motors made me really start thinking the 252 is closer to the top of my list, not as efficient as the 210 i know, but will def do better than the 255.

I also have a family of 4 and could see just us 4 being on the boat maybe half the time, mainly because we live about 1/2 a mile from a 1200acre lake, thinking a few boating evenings after work will be in order lol. That said I live within 20 minutes of my inlaws, my parents, 2 brothers families, and my brotherinlaw, so if it was a all day thing id imagine always having other people onboard, 6-10 seems realistic.

Thanks for the reply. I have a family of 4, but def see most all day outings having friends and family aboard, I live close to a lot of family and would be the only boat owner lol. I am really liking the grow into it mindset, adding the 252 back into the maybe list.

Big thanks for the reply, a ton of great info. I wasn't around boats a great deal as a kid, my grandfather had one I was on a few times each summer, and my family would camp at Raystown lake every summer and usually rent a pontoon boat for a few days. I have rented a waverunner a dozen times and a 19ft yamaha while in florida with friends a few years ago. Looking back I enjoyed all of those experiences and always thought "im going to get a boat some day". The past few years going to my parents house in Cape May and just doing the basics while still having a son in diapers shopping, beaches, wineries....thinking there should be something more exciting to do. Seeing my oldest daughter already start kindergarten kinda hit home though, they wont be around forever and getting a boat now vs 5-10 years from now would make a lot more memories, as sappy as it sounds.

I get what your friend is saying, smallest boat that does what you need it to do, save money, time, headaches in towing. All that said, I see a lot of other threads of guys that went too small and upgrade in 2-3 years.

again, def see what your saying, how much will i really use it, my dad already said i should just rent one....keep in mind he owns several cars he rarly drives and a house in cape may my brothers and I use more than my dad and mom lol. Being so close to a lake, right now i think i'll use it alot, def could not be the case though. My wife is also into tent camping, we used to do it a lot before kids and now that the kids are basically potty trained we started doing it again...long story short, it turns out most of our favorite camping areas are next to a lake, great thing about PA, lakes everywhere, I would def be bringing the boat.

How many people, I honestly right now cant see it ever being just me, but me and just my daughter? maybe, probably moreso the 4 of us, but living close to friends and family for day trips i could easily have it be 6-10...could be 20 if i really wanted it to be and had the boat space lol. I would def want it to not fell cramped with 8, which is why i love the center console design. I have a few friends that have 2 kids and would want down the road to be able to take my family and one of theres out for a day on the lake.

Budget is always a concern, I can swing the cost, but do i really want to, and the running cost is the most interesting part you bring up, it really makes me think more about the 252, gets the size, cheaper than the 255 and the main difference, engines, i probably wouldnt use much anyway, im sure my wife will think 40-45 is plenty fast lol. Didnt know about the electronic vs manual throttle, def going to look into that.

Def need to go over all your links, thanks for the informative well thought out response.

Thanks for the reply. That's kinda where I'm at as well, def need to walk around both, all these replys really got me thinking more about the 252, i do like the extra length and larger swim deck, but yea, the big engines are probably not needed, 252 may be a nice middle of the road, just wasnt sure there was enough of a price difference between the 252/255, but the big difference in fuel consumption may be where the savings really are, not sure id really use the 45+ top end in the 255 much anyway.

yea, surprised they didnt give a tow hook from the roof, saw it mentioned in a lot of threads and review videos.

I'll def be reaching out with more questions between now and when i throw the money down on one, thanks again.

It is a lot of boat, especially for a first boat, which is part of my hesitation. I'm not afraid to tow it, I tow larger tri axle landscape trailers almost weekly, but i know towing is only a small part of actually launching the boat, and beyond the towing part, it would all be new to me.

I def wouldnt think of leaving it docked beyond the week I'm on vacation somewhere, I love the apeal of the beam and weight of the FSH yamahas vs the competators for towing. I know NY/NJ are 8' width limits, but i'm going to try squeak by staying ~8'6" for most other states.

I love raystown, been there camping a ton of times as a kid, dad usually rented a pontoon for the week.

210 is probably the smallest id go, i do get the apeal of the 195 though, especially if its just going to be 2-6 people max for most trips, I just think for me i'm going to be pushing 8 a lot of times, I also know the wife will want a little more boat for cape may.

Thanks again for all the replys guys, def gave me a lot to research.

You have a big family!!!! That fact alone tips in the favor of the 252/ 255. One of the things capt Steve says in the written part of the test on the 210 is that while the 210 is rated for 10 people, beyond 6 could be problematic. As @bolivas states they regularly have 6 on his 210, seated up front, he can chime in about more than 6 on the 210, the most I’ve had on my 210 is 6. From what you describe, you could easily have 12 on your boat with your family plus extended family. Also, being that you see yourself at 30% ocean now, and increasing to 50% in the future also tilts towards the 252/ 255.

Let’s have a look at the fuel consumption of the FSH 255 Sport E and the 252SD bow rider which has normally aspirated 1.8 L engines which are what is in the FSH 252, its not the same but should be a good comparison for us, the hulls are probably a bit different, and the 252SD weighs roughly 200# less.

Here is the fuel burn chart for the FSH 255 E.

EEFB8906-CEAE-44A0-91E1-E9CB976E0680.png

And here is the fuel burn chart for the 252SD.

FB1691AF-A41F-413F-AAB0-D40863B0DE5B.png

You can see on the 252SD that between 5500 & 6500 rpm the boat is at a nice cruise speed and the mpg is right at 2.4 to 2.3 mpg. Compare that to the 255 FSH of 2.1 at 5000 and 1.9 at 6000. The biggest difference is at WOT, the normally aspirated 1.8’s consume 23.6 gph and 44 mph, while the supercharged version consumes 44.3 mph and 57 mph. Best cruise on the 252SD is at 6000 rpm, 32.2 mph, 13.3 gph for a 2.4 mpg. The best cruise on the 255 FSH is at 5000 rpm, 31.2 mph, 14.8 gph for a 2.1 mpg. The two boats are the same consumption at 42 mph. It’s when the speed gets eye watering that the fuel consumption of the 255 FSH super charged motors starting making a lot of power and consume a lot more fuel. If you keep in mind the 252SD is 200# lighter, that tips the consumption aspect more in favor of the 255 FSH. Time will tell with some reports back from our community or a magazine test on performance numbers.

Long story short here, if you keep from fire walling the throttle while cruising, your target speed of 40 mph has the same fuel consumption between these tow boats / engines. And of course fuel load, the 252/255 has a 111 gallon fuel tank, how many people you have on board, and gear makes a big difference in fuel consumption. Who knows, the 255 FSH‘s hull maybe pretty slippery even when loaded down. There are also other factors that factor in for fuel mileage, seas’s, wind, etc. I also have no idea about impeller pitch between the two, I‘d think the 255 E would have a greater pitch so it could move more water with it’s greater horsepower. Again we will have to wait and see.

As you pointed out, you are no stranger to towing pretty large trailers, I’m going to guess a triple axle cargo trailer is as long if not longer than this boat on a trailer. I’m going to assume that you have a good bio mechanical interface since you’ve been around machines your whole life. That bodes well for you learning to operate one of these boats. Heck, take some classes, and just go really slow when in close proximity to other boats and docks. No one ever ruined their boat by hitting a dock going too slowly. I think your biggest challenge will be putting the boat onto the trailer when it is windy, it was mine too, but after a lot of practice I have much greater confidence now.

For me, making it easy is really important, and you will get that down in time was well.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Bigdaddyrawk One more thing to think about is who will be backing the boat/trailer into the water and who will be piloting the boat during launch and retrieval?

Once that decision is made then you should plan on a few practice launches/retrievals during the middle of the week and off-peak ramp times so you guys don't feel rushed and can really get a feel for both jobs. Try to get the dealer to do an on the water demo/tutorial.

If it is you backing the boat in, it sounds like you have trailers under control, but there are other learning curves when launching the boat like each ramp has its own personality. Most critical is how steep the ramp is and knowing how deep to back in. Pay attention on the launch to where the boat starts to float and then let the boat clear the trailer so driver can look at where the trailer is sitting when empty so you/the wife can try to mimick this when it is time to retrieve the boat.

It will take you a a while to iron out the kinks. A good thing that worked well for us was to have a plan and discuss it with the "crew" in the parking lot before heading to the ramp/staging area. Nothing worse than seeing a "fun family outing" turn into an argument on the ramp over something that could have been addressed in the parking lot. I have seen more than a handful of yelling/arguing couples at the ramp 😬.

There is a ton of other things that can be talked about just concerning launching/retrieving when it comes to new boaters. My family has been boating for close to 20 years and we have our system down. When it is our turn at the ramp we are launched or loaded in about a minute from the "green light". We weren't always this quick though so take your time to figure out what works for you guys.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Bigdaddyrawk One more thing to think about is who will be backing the boat/trailer into the water and who will be piloting the boat during launch and retrieval?

Once that decision is made then you should plan on a few practice launches/retrievals during the middle of the week and off-peak ramp times so you guys don't feel rushed and can really get a feel for both jobs. Try to get the dealer to do an on the water demo/tutorial.

If it is you backing the boat in, it sounds like you have trailers under control, but there are other learning curves when launching the boat like each ramp has its own personality. Most critical is how steep the ramp is and knowing how deep to back in. Pay attention on the launch to where the boat starts to float and then let the boat clear the trailer so driver can look at where the trailer is sitting when empty so you/the wife can try to mimick this when it is time to retrieve the boat.

It will take you a a while to iron out the kinks. A good thing that worked well for us was to have a plan and discuss it with the "crew" in the parking lot before heading to the ramp/staging area. Nothing worse than seeing a "fun family outing" turn into an argument on the ramp over something that could have been addressed in the parking lot. I have seen more than a handful of yelling/arguing couples at the ramp 😬.

There is a ton of other things that can be talked about just concerning launching/retrieving when it comes to new boaters. My family has been boating for close to 20 years and we have our system down. When it is our turn at the ramp we are launched or loaded in about a minute from the "green light". We weren't always this quick though so take your time to figure out what works for you guys.
Sage advice!

vesder21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was in a similar situation as you last year when I almost put down a deposit on a 252. I was slated to go to the dealer later in the week, but then this 2020 210 FSH appeared. I bought it and have enjoyed the boat, but still have some regret not ordering the 252.

I use my boat in Lake Erie so no offshore for me, but Erie gets choppy quickly so the 25' with the deeper hull would be preferred. I also like the size of a 25-28' boat (perfect size IMO) and think the 210 is a little small for my family of 3 with 2 dogs.

Again, it's all preference, but I would order the 252/255 if it fits the budget. I will probably sell my boat in a year or two and try to pick up a used 252.

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was in a similar situation as you last year when I almost put down a deposit on a 252. I was slated to go to the dealer later in the week, but then this 2020 210 FSH appeared. I bought it and have enjoyed the boat, but still have some regret not ordering the 252.

I use my boat in Lake Erie so no offshore for me, but Erie gets choppy quickly so the 25' with the deeper hull would be preferred. I also like the size of a 25-28' boat (perfect size IMO) and think the 210 is a little small for my family of 3 with 2 dogs.

Again, it's all preference, but I would order the 252/255 if it fits the budget. I will probably sell my boat in a year or two and try to pick up a used 252.
Yeah it's all personal and situational imo. If I was going to be on bigger water constantly, I'd probably upgrade to the 25'. My 210 is great on medium size lakes that I'm usually on. If I was going to spend the majority of my time on Leech Lake or Lake of the Woods and the Great lakes, then the 25 would be in my plans for sure. The layout is also phenomenal and solves all the little quirks I feel the 210 has because of it's relative size.

Bigdaddyrawk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length

Def good advice, id probably be the one backing the truck in at least to start and helping with the launch but id like to think my wife could eventually do either. On the plus side we have a nearby lake that even peak season like now the ramp is mostly empty on weeknights so I def have time for both of us to practice. Def leaning 252/255 over 210 but need to see it in person obviously, thanks for all the great replies fellas!